2013 gardens

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

Re: 2013 gardens

Postby Olly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:19 am

3legged_lab wrote: tell em to eat a bag o dicks.

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:21 am

I dont think my garden will ever be free of this grass that was here before. It's a never ending battle it just keeps coming back.

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Tomkat » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:26 am

Olly wrote:I dont think my garden will ever be free of this grass that was here before. It's a never ending battle it just keeps coming back.

Sent from my phone.

It will get better with time. Just keep hoeing it every day. I have a new section of garden with the same problem...
Tomkat

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:10 am

Olly wrote:I dont think my garden will ever be free of this grass that was here before. It's a never ending battle it just keeps coming back.

Sent from my phone.

It's a battle that will take time to get it right. Mine started off good but after a few rains was uncontrollable. Just let it go for the most part and will hit it again soon now that my plants are done.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:19 pm

Oh fuck.
Look at radar for champaign illinois.
60 mph winds and quarter sized hail will tend to fuck up a garden.
Praying...
Before the storm.
1371921623208.jpg
mahomet, ill. Just got nailed with the purple shit. Woa..hehe.
Our ex governor lives there. lol
During...
1371922164470.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:37 pm

Sent from my phone.

It'll eventually slow down but it is a never ending battle. The only thing I've found that stops it is putting down a sheet of plastic or something down the row and cutting a hole in it for the plant to grow out of. Space your rows far enough apart that you can run the tiller or cultivator down it to break up that grass or plant the plants far enough apart that you can cultivate around it and pick/hoe whats close to the plant. That's what I do, I hate laying the plastic. Did it 2 years then jsut started planting far enough apart to till between plants and pick the rest. It only works with tomatoes, peppers and plants like that. Peas, beans, melons, corn and okra always get planted too close to do so, but the grass never seemed to bother them too much. That and I think the grass kind of helps keep the melons cool.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:49 pm

rebelp74 wrote:

Sent from my phone.

It'll eventually slow down but it is a never ending battle. The only thing I've found that stops it is putting down a sheet of plastic or something down the row and cutting a hole in it for the plant to grow out of. Space your rows far enough apart that you can run the tiller or cultivator down it to break up that grass or plant the plants far enough apart that you can cultivate around it and pick/hoe whats close to the plant. That's what I do, I hate laying the plastic. Did it 2 years then jsut started planting far enough apart to till between plants and pick the rest. It only works with tomatoes, peppers and plants like that. Peas, beans, melons, corn and okra always get planted too close to do so, but the grass never seemed to bother them too much. That and I think the grass kind of helps keep the melons cool.

I plant my stuff in rows. Then I lay down newspaper and straw everything. No weeds, no picking. Maybe an occasional weed but for the most part none.
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:09 pm

MuddyWaterWarlock wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

Sent from my phone.

I plant my stuff in rows. Then I lay down newspaper and straw everything. No weeds, no picking. Maybe an occasional weed but for the most part none.

I do like him.
Get newspapers from neighbors. Wet them down. Put grass clippings on top to keep papers from blowing. Learned the hard way...lol.

I dodged the hail somehow. Neighbors 6-foot fence helped block wind.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:11 pm

Mulching...
Conserves moisture. It attracts worms as well.
Anyone who gardens knows a wormy garden tills itself kinda.
Try the mulching technique. Less watering, fertilizer, WORK.
Bagging lawnmower...gold.
aunt betty

Postby flight control » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:23 pm

My upside down tomatoes have doubled in size over the last two weeks. I'm impressed
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:43 am

Compared to last spring/summer season...this one is heaven on earth.
Plenty of rain at the right times so far. Not too hot.
Great summer ahead. :thumbsup:
aunt betty

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:49 pm

Just finished putting in the nightly hour weeding. I planted so many cucumbers that I wasn't aware I had about a half bushel ready to pick. Pickle making begins tomorrow.

From the back to the front in this pic are dry beans, jalapeños, Roma tomatoes, green beans, beets, green beans, and some cucumbers (most of the cucumbers are to the right out of the pic). Potatoes on the far left.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373330951.429215.jpg
assateague

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:57 am

Looks good AT. How long you got til you start picking tomatoes. Looks like I still have a week or two to go. By then everything will be rolling in. Out checking my corn several times a day. Cant wait!
aunt betty

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:02 am

Same here. Depending on the weather, I should be picking in a week. I have a ton of cucumbers I need to get pickling, and already picked one Walmart bag of jalapenos. Probably put up some pickles tonight.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:46 am

Deer haven't been in the garden, but the bastards ate all the cucumber plants that were growing up the fence.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:38 am

My corn got laid down by the storm today. Damn. The ground got wet n soft. Then the wind blew. Fuck.
Hopefully I can stand it up again later. Not lookin good.
Oh well.
aunt betty

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:55 pm

If it's not broke off, I'd leave it. You can still pick it.
assateague

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:56 pm

Have picked about 8 tomatoes so far. Hope to produce tomatoes thru Sept.
goodkarmarising

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:47 am

The ground got soft. Then the plants couldnt stand so they just kinda layed over. Been trying to stand them back up and pack mud around them. Helps a little. I had to prop the end row up with a sawhorse.
One patch hasnt tassled yet. Thnkng about just pulling that and starting over. There is still time for second try if I hurry.
aunt betty

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:38 am

aunt betty wrote:The ground got soft. Then the plants couldnt stand so they just kinda layed over. Been trying to stand them back up and pack mud around them. Helps a little. I had to prop the end row up with a sawhorse.
One patch hasnt tassled yet. Thnkng about just pulling that and starting over. There is still time for second try if I hurry.

Get some bamboo stakes and string. Used to work for a wheat scientist at the university of Georgia. That's what we did when we had plants that would lay down in the green house. Always works.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:47 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
aunt betty wrote:The ground got soft. Then the plants couldnt stand so they just kinda layed over. Been trying to stand them back up and pack mud around them. Helps a little. I had to prop the end row up with a sawhorse.

Get some bamboo stakes and string. Used to work for a wheat scientist at the university of Georgia. That's what we did when we had plants that would lay down in the green house. Always works.

Brilliant. I have bamboo and string. Thought of it and said naw, too gay. Been having some luck standing em up. Barefooted mushing mud kinda stuff.
1373554080182.jpg
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:11 pm

It dawned on me that a chain link fence is capping my rows. I set a sawhorse perpendicular to the unfenced end. Then wedged each row with two pieces of conduit on each side. Looks goofy but propped my corn back up. :thumbsup:
aunt betty

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:25 pm

First picking for me. I planted waaaay too many green beans. That's one row, and I have 3 more rows to pick. Dug up a couple of hills of potatoes that the beetles had killed. Decent yields but very small. Oh well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373588671.889604.jpg

My helper monkey.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373588704.295143.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373588728.742355.jpg
assateague

Postby jehler » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:43 pm

Dilly beans!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:20 pm

Starting to get some goodies.
The golden cherries are different. Meaty.
They make tons of maters FAST.
I grew grape tomatoes from seeds I saved last year. That was a mistake. They look like half grape, half roma.
1373649578614.jpg

Cute kid AT. Teaching her well i c.
aunt betty

Postby flight control » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:23 pm

I have a newb question. My pickling cucumbers are starting to flower, but only female flowers. I don't even see any male flowers forming. My english cucumbers on the other hand have lots of male flowers coming out. Can they pollinate each other and still give me some pickles?
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:02 pm

I have no clue what a male flower or female flower looks like. (Please don't tell me, because I don't want something else to weigh on my mind :lol: ) But I've never had a problem with cucumbers. They grow as if by magic. Flowers, no flowers, you go look at it one day and it's just a vine, look at it two days later and it's covered with ready to pick fruit, and you;re already falling behind.
assateague

Postby Olly » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:08 pm

My garden is a failure. 2 weeks of rain and not a lot of sun have squashed Mt dreams of having corn from the garden this year

Sent from my phone.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby flight control » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:46 pm

Olly wrote:My garden is a failure. 2 weeks of rain and not a lot of sun have squashed Mt dreams of having corn from the garden this year

Sent from my phone.

Same here. I planted a container garden because of space issues and its a mixture of success and failure. Good news is I'm learning from those failures. I've lost every tomato to date to blossom end rot. I've been pushing Tums (for calcium) into the soil and knock on wood it seems to be working. I put my peppers out too early and stunted them.. Next summer will be bigger and better.

Assa, I know you said you didn't want to know, so stop reading now. Female cucumber flowers have baby cucumbers attached to them, males are just flowers.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:48 pm

Try again. The thing about gardening is...something always grows even when its not what you planned.I had to replant stuff before and hope. Usually it pays off. Not too late for second crop of corn. I plan on replanting again in about two weeks. Takes 78 days. Might make it...might not.
aunt betty

PreviousNext

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden