Chickens

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

Re: Chickens

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:05 pm

aunt betty wrote:We raised quail when I was a kid. I remember watching them hatch and they didn't all come out at once and some didn't make it. We also had mass die-offs when they got stress about ANYTHING. The dog barking...anything.
Once we got established it was easy.
Never did chickens. Wish we would have.

I didn't like quail. They are really hard to raise compared to chickens, pheasants, ducks, geese, and turkeys. Whole other world.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:06 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
aunt betty wrote:We raised quail when I was a kid. I remember watching them hatch and they didn't all come out at once and some didn't make it. We also had mass die-offs when they got stress about ANYTHING. The dog barking...anything.
Once we got established it was easy.
Never did chickens. Wish we would have.

I didn't like quail. They are really hard to raise compared to chickens, pheasants, ducks, geese, and turkeys. Whole other world.

But totally worth it when the eating time comes.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:08 pm

Never did eat any of them just the eggs.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Pickled quail eggs are great.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Pickled anything is generally delicious.
assateague

Postby one2many » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:15 pm

i never buy eggs, always chics..
there is about 4 of us out here the trick on each other. one of them turned out 6 guineafowl im my workshop.fuckers are loud, i thought i had a bunch of donkeys running around.took me a while to look up and see them :oops:
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:16 pm

I love having guineas around, but never want to have to claim any. I prefer the two flocks that just rotate themselves through our three houses here. They are loud bastards. And as for the chicks, that's what we've always done, but nooooooo, she has to come home with eggs this time. Just too much of a time investment for something that will be gone within 18 months or so, anyway.
assateague

Postby one2many » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:25 pm

the guinefowl make good alarms. i had a few peafowl i liked to see them all over the barn yard.one of my dogs killed them one day,put the dog down but havent gotten any new fowl. maybe i will try again
one2many

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:27 pm

one2many wrote:the guinefowl make good alarms. i had a few peafowl i liked to see them all over the barn yard.one of my dogs killed them one day,put the dog down but havent gotten any new fowl. maybe i will try again

I have a few peacocks, they are nice to see but make an awful squealy/screamy type noise every evening.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby one2many » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:33 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
one2many wrote:the guinefowl make good alarms. i had a few peafowl i liked to see them all over the barn yard.one of my dogs killed them one day,put the dog down but havent gotten any new fowl. maybe i will try again

I have a few peacocks, they are nice to see but make an awful squealy/screamy type noise every evening.

they roost out back in of the barns, damn guineafowl seem to like the trees near the bedroom and sound like a damn donkey has his head in the window
one2many

Postby flight control » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:35 pm

We used to keep a couple dozen chickens and a dozen turkeys every year. This one year we ended up with one rooster. His whole life, he had never heard another rooster crow, but had turkeys for neighbors. So he developed this God awful, half crow, half gobble. The most annoying sound you ever heard. He did not live very long.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:36 pm

one2many wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

they roost out back in of the barns, damn guineafowl seem to like the trees near the bedroom and sound like a damn donkey has his head in the window

I know that sucks, that loud ass sqwauking sound would end up in guinea gumbo or something. I keep mine in a pen. Except for the peacocks they free roam but roost in one of the pecan trees above the pens.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby one2many » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:38 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
one2many wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

I know that sucks, that loud ass sqwauking sound would end up in guinea gumbo or something. I keep mine in a pen. Except for the peacocks they free roam but roost in one of the pecan trees above the pens.

do they eat good? i got them trapped one day and up the road the went
one2many

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:39 pm

one2many wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
one2many wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

do they eat good? i got them trapped one day and up the road the went

A little gamey but better than duck.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:39 pm

I've heard they're delicious, but haven't ever ate one. The foxes seem to get to them before I do.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:40 pm

More like a strong pheasant.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby one2many » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:41 pm

mite give them a try if they ever end up back around my way
one2many

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:13 pm

rebelp74 wrote:

Those suckers are expensive. I have had lots of guineas but never did get a peacock. I think the most we ever had was a group of 60.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:20 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

Those suckers are expensive. I have had lots of guineas but never did get a peacock. I think the most we ever had was a group of 60.

Wow, I only have around 10 guineas. If I hatch out some peacock eggs, I can send you some if you want. Never had any luck hatching their eggs though.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:23 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

Wow, I only have around 10 guineas. If I hatch out some peacock eggs, I can send you some if you want. Never had any luck hatching their eggs though.

That would be awesome. I'd love to give it a try.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:24 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

That would be awesome. I'd love to give it a try.

I'll keep you posted on it.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby aunt betty » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:29 pm

The only reason we raised quail was for training quail dogs. My dad loved to hunt quail. We had a lot of different Brittany Spaniels over the years. He hunted ducks too but wanted pointing dogs for quail and pheasants. Had several really expensive dogs.

WE ate a lot of quail eggs. Taking little hard-boiled quail eggs to school freaked out my friends. I'd eat a dozen for lunch. :thumbsup:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:31 pm

aunt betty wrote:The only reason we raised quail was for training quail dogs. My dad loved to hunt quail. We had a lot of different Brittany Spaniels over the years. He hunted ducks too but wanted pointing dogs for quail and pheasants. Had several really expensive dogs.

WE ate a lot of quail eggs. Taking little hard-boiled quail eggs to school freaked out my friends. I'd eat a dozen for lunch. :thumbsup:

The part that freaked them out was the smell of the preceeding farts.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby jehler » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:44 pm

I love quail eggs
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Tomkat » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:52 am

Peacocks are the worst sounding bird in the animal kingdom. You can hear the terrible sound they make for miles away
Tomkat

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:16 pm

i'm interested in getting some chickens someday but no way in hell i'm running incubators for em. i'll get some broody hens and let them take care of it.

i'm thinking whenever i can do it i'll breed some Australorps with some red banties and see what i get. if i can get some broody banty hens i'd have them hatching and rearing the chicks and use the Australorps hens for layers since they don't typically get broody. After that i'd get a few more varieties to add in genetics for cold hardiness, egg size, etc.

but egg peckers will always be supper that night :thumbsup:

what breed(s) are you going for Jim?
Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:18 pm
huntall6 wrote:MT is right.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:03 pm

This time we've got Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and Americanas. But we all just witch around roosters, so what you get after a little bit is more than a little but of mutt. Like I said, I usually just get chicks from the neighbor. His breeding program consists of switching around roosters with friends, and not hatching any of his own until the hens have survived at least a year. Then they go in with the rest, where he takes his eggs from. Any eggs with problems, that are slow hatching, or chicks with leg problems, regardless of cause, are killed. He's developed some VERY sturdy chickens over the last 7 years or so.
assateague

Postby flight control » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:00 pm

(MT)Montanafowler wrote:i'm interested in getting some chickens someday but no way in hell i'm running incubators for em. i'll get some broody hens and let them take care of it.

i'm thinking whenever i can do it i'll breed some Australorps with some red banties and see what i get. if i can get some broody banty hens i'd have them hatching and rearing the chicks and use the Australorps hens for layers since they don't typically get broody. After that i'd get a few more varieties to add in genetics for cold hardiness, egg size, etc.

but egg peckers will always be supper that night :thumbsup:

what breed(s) are you going for Jim?

We had an egg pecking tom turkey when I was a kid. My grampa filled an empty egg shell with a mixture of flour dough and cayenne pepper and put it under one of the hens. A little bit later, that turkey was running around with his tongue hanging out, banging into stuff.

He never did touch another egg. :lol:

I tried that with the gf's cat twice. I can't stand cats on the tables and counters, and as soon as we go to bed, I could hear it juming up there. So I hollowed out an inch long piece of hot dog, filled it with cayenne and plugged it back up, leaving it on the counter. Not five minutes after I went to bed, the cat starts meowing in pain. Meowed for half an hour.

Stupid fucking cat didn't learn, so I did it again. Same thing hapenned again, only this time there was no water anywhere, except the toilet, which I may have pissed in and not flushed, allegedly. He still didn't learn, so I quit, he is obviously retarded and I will not abuse a retard. He is pretty close to getting shot though.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:05 pm

so you guys just stud out the roosters to each other based on when you need some chicks/new genetics basically? if that's how you're doing it, you probably get some weird/cool crossbreed strains i would think. How come you just get chicks from the neighbor? too much work to breed the hens?

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:06 pm

flight control wrote:We had an egg pecking tom turkey when I was a kid. My grampa filled an empty egg shell with a mixture of flour dough and cayenne pepper and put it under one of the hens. A little bit later, that turkey was running around with his tongue hanging out, banging into stuff.

He never did touch another egg. :lol:

I tried that with the gf's cat twice. I can't stand cats on the tables and counters, and as soon as we go to bed, I could hear it juming up there. So I hollowed out an inch long piece of hot dog, filled it with cayenne and plugged it back up, leaving it on the counter. Not five minutes after I went to bed, the cat starts meowing in pain. Meowed for half an hour.

Stupid fucking cat didn't learn, so I did it again. Same thing hapenned again, only this time there was no water anywhere, except the toilet, which I may have pissed in and not flushed, allegedly. He still didn't learn, so I quit, he is obviously retarded and I will not abuse a retard. He is pretty close to getting shot though.

i've never heard of that, most people i've talked to either hurry to get the eggs or kill the egg eater. i wouldn't waste my time on a cat, kill it and leave it behind the barn.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

PreviousNext

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden