Chickens

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

Re: Chickens

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:12 pm

flight control wrote:
(MT)Montanafowler wrote:i'm interested in getting some chickens someday but no way in hell i'm running incubators for em. i'll get some broody hens and let them take care of it.

i'm thinking whenever i can do it i'll breed some Australorps with some red banties and see what i get. if i can get some broody banty hens i'd have them hatching and rearing the chicks and use the Australorps hens for layers since they don't typically get broody. After that i'd get a few more varieties to add in genetics for cold hardiness, egg size, etc.

but egg peckers will always be supper that night :thumbsup:

what breed(s) are you going for Jim?

We had an egg pecking tom turkey when I was a kid. My grampa filled an empty egg shell with a mixture of flour dough and cayenne pepper and put it under one of the hens. A little bit later, that turkey was running around with his tongue hanging out, banging into stuff.

He never did touch another egg. :lol:

I tried that with the gf's cat twice. I can't stand cats on the tables and counters, and as soon as we go to bed, I could hear it juming up there. So I hollowed out an inch long piece of hot dog, filled it with cayenne and plugged it back up, leaving it on the counter. Not five minutes after I went to bed, the cat starts meowing in pain. Meowed for half an hour.

Stupid **** cat didn't learn, so I did it again. Same thing hapenned again, only this time there was no water anywhere, except the toilet, which I may have pissed in and not flushed, allegedly. He still didn't learn, so I quit, he is obviously retarded and I will not abuse a retard. He is pretty close to getting shot though.

Just give the cat to Goldfish's girlfriend :thumbsup:
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:13 pm

(MT)Montanafowler wrote:so you guys just stud out the roosters to each other based on when you need some chicks/new genetics basically? if that's how you're doing it, you probably get some weird/cool crossbreed strains i would think. How come you just get chicks from the neighbor? too much work to breed the hens?

He is 130/60 for Gods sake, that's no hen breeder.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:50 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:52 pm

(MT)Montanafowler wrote:so you guys just stud out the roosters to each other based on when you need some chicks/new genetics basically? if that's how you're doing it, you probably get some weird/cool crossbreed strains i would think. How come you just get chicks from the neighbor? too much work to breed the hens?

We don't necessarily stud them out, just go do a swap. Or just take a couple, if someone has an effed up ratio, which happens quickly. Nothing really cool looking, just mashed up, but very hardy. As for the eggs, because it's a pain in the ass, and with all the foxes/eagles/hawks/coons around here, they're not long for this world anyway. Hatching the eggs is a colossal pain in the ass, something which is being reinforced by this "experiment" we've got going right now. It's far easier to just go get 10 chicks or so. He's always got plenty.
assateague

Postby jehler » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:03 pm

FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Mornin Beef » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:21 pm

flight control wrote:
(MT)Montanafowler wrote:i'm interested in getting some chickens someday but no way in hell i'm running incubators for em. i'll get some broody hens and let them take care of it.

i'm thinking whenever i can do it i'll breed some Australorps with some red banties and see what i get. if i can get some broody banty hens i'd have them hatching and rearing the chicks and use the Australorps hens for layers since they don't typically get broody. After that i'd get a few more varieties to add in genetics for cold hardiness, egg size, etc.

but egg peckers will always be supper that night :thumbsup:

what breed(s) are you going for Jim?

We had an egg pecking tom turkey when I was a kid. My grampa filled an empty egg shell with a mixture of flour dough and cayenne pepper and put it under one of the hens. A little bit later, that turkey was running around with his tongue hanging out, banging into stuff.

He never did touch another egg. :lol:

I tried that with the gf's cat twice. I can't stand cats on the tables and counters, and as soon as we go to bed, I could hear it juming up there. So I hollowed out an inch long piece of hot dog, filled it with cayenne and plugged it back up, leaving it on the counter. Not five minutes after I went to bed, the cat starts meowing in pain. Meowed for half an hour.

Stupid fucking cat didn't learn, so I did it again. Same thing hapenned again, only this time there was no water anywhere, except the toilet, which I may have pissed in and not flushed, allegedly. He still didn't learn, so I quit, he is obviously retarded and I will not abuse a retard. He is pretty close to getting shot though.

Thanks Flight!!! That story was hilarious.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:38 pm

jehler wrote:Why don't you get a dozen if these assa?
http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/american-bresse/

Because they're French. My American chickens would tear them to pieces. Probably just because they're French.
assateague

Postby flight control » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:22 pm

assateague wrote:

Because they're French. My American chickens would tear them to pieces. Probably just because they're French.

That, or the French chickens might help the American chickens when they mount a revolution against their tyranical master. 8-)
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 pm

flight control wrote:
assateague wrote:

That, or the French chickens might help the American chickens when they mount a revolution against their tyranical master. 8-)

Deep stuff
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:56 pm

flight control wrote:
assateague wrote:

:lol:

Then I definitely don't want them.
assateague

Postby aunt betty » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:04 pm

My daughter went camping and the coons were raiding their food so she injected some marshmallows with insanity hot sauce. She said there's no sound that's more pitiful than a Raccoon bawling in pain. :lol:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby flight control » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:16 pm

aunt betty wrote:My daughter went camping and the coons were raiding their food so she injected some marshmallows with insanity hot sauce. She said there's no sound that's more pitiful than a Raccoon bawling in pain. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol :lol:
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby jehler » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:28 pm

assateague wrote:

chicks are
$60 a piece plus shipping WTF?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Olly » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:30 pm

jehler wrote:
assateague wrote:

chicks are

Hipster chickens.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jehler » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Olly wrote:
jehler wrote:
assateague wrote:

chicks are

Hipster chickens.
bet brewgun has some by the end of summer
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:20 pm

jehler wrote:
assateague wrote:

chicks are

Thank goodness I didn't read that far into the site :lol:
assateague

Postby BrewGUN » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:23 pm

jehler wrote:
Olly wrote:
jehler wrote:
assateague wrote:

chicks are

Hipster chickens.
bet brewgun has some by the end of summer

why on earth would i get chickens? Two of my neighbors have chickens, the cuz's down the road have them and Jgun has them, pretty sure if I need eggs i can get some.
BrewGUN

Postby waterfowlman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:43 pm

Barnyard buzzards definitely keep the insect population down in the yard. They'll eat just about anything!! I remember watching one of our hens following another chicken around and eating it's freshly dumped shit.
"Duty - Honor - Country".
waterfowlman

Postby aunt betty » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:08 pm

ATTN: AT
Saw this ad and thought of u.
http://terrehaute.craigslist.org/grd/3757970749.html

One of them portable chicken-coops. It's meant to move every few days to get at fresh bugs and worms etc.
Just make a bigger one for more chickens.
3Ed3J33H25N45Ff5H6d4l98f4b8bbd6a11de9.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:13 pm

I've already built a Cadillac coop. Supposed to go pick up the tin this afternoon.
assateague

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:14 pm

And for the record, I have decided I'm going to caponize some roosters, just to see if I can do it. I'll practice on a dead one, first.
assateague

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:25 pm

assateague wrote:And for the record, I have decided I'm going to caponize some roosters, just to see if I can do it. I'll practice on a dead one, first.

what the hell is "caponize?" spell check doesn't comprehend, it wants you to canonize the chickens instead. does a chicken need to be dead before canonization can occur?
Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:18 pm
huntall6 wrote:MT is right.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:38 pm

assateague wrote:And for the record, I have decided I'm going to caponize some roosters, just to see if I can do it. I'll practice on a dead one, first.

You see that from the "chopped" show?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Flightstopper wrote:

You see that from the "chopped" show?

Nope. Came from me trying to figure out what a capon was a couple days ago. Which led to YouTube videos. If a Chinaman can do it in flip flops on the sidewalk in less than a minute, I should be able to do it in 15 minutes on the kitchen table.

Montana, it's castrating a rooster. Apparently, their nuts are located next to their spine. You have to cut a hole between two ribs on their back, cut open the gut sack, and pull the boys out.
assateague

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:43 pm

Supposedly, it will cause them to grow twice as big as normal, show no aggression, and make them tender and tasty like a huge overgrown Cornish hen.
assateague

Postby BrewGUN » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Why do you want roosters anyways?
BrewGUN

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:34 pm

I don't. But unless you know a way to guarantee what comes out of the eggs, I'm saddled with what I get. :lol:
assateague

Postby BrewGUN » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:43 pm

assateague wrote:I don't. But unless you know a way to guarantee what comes out of the eggs, I'm saddled with what I get. :lol:

Eat em young!
BrewGUN

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:44 pm

Damn if I can tell the difference. Unless you're talking 6 months young or something. But at that point, one's getting sacrificed for medical experimentation, and the others are getting caponized. If they die, they get eaten. But I like to think about turkey sized chickens to eat in 6 months after that. That's what I'm talking about.
assateague

Postby BrewGUN » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:22 am

assateague wrote:Damn if I can tell the difference. Unless you're talking 6 months young or something. But at that point, one's getting sacrificed for medical experimentation, and the others are getting caponized. If they die, they get eaten. But I like to think about turkey sized chickens to eat in 6 months after that. That's what I'm talking about.

why not just get turkeys then? ;)
BrewGUN

PreviousNext

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden