Chickens

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

Re: Chickens

Postby assateague » Sat May 11, 2013 10:52 am

aunt betty wrote:
assateague wrote:Final tally on the coop- $609.70. Not as bad as I feared.

Hom much is that per egg including feed ?
Before you whig on me...I gotta build a shed too. Lawnmower n gardening stuff.
Wanting to build onto each side.
Greenhouse on one side and chicken coop on other. Still in planning stage.
Could easily encorporate your chicken coop ideas.
Nice work.

The way I've figured it, it'll be paid off in about 3 years. A little less, if I count the chickens which are gonna get eaten. We go through 2 dozen eggs a week, at $2 a dozen for store bought. If I was figuring it at $4 a dozen for the fresh, organic, that'd be cut in half, but that seems like "cheating", so I just calculated based off of store bought. Feed is free. I'm eventually going to expand mine, to incorporate the pump house next to it (making a full 8' pump house, instead of a crawl space-type deal), and run the roof over the big pole barn, to make a place to store my firewood under cover.
assateague

Postby assateague » Sat May 11, 2013 10:54 am

flight control wrote:If you let them loose in your garden, would they eat the potatoe beetles or the plants? I've been wondering for a while now.

This was my plan- to fence off the potatoes, and let them run. You can't let them in the garden, or they'll tear up all the fruits and green stuff, but I figured with the potatoes, the plants get so big, and grow so fast, that I figured they'd be happy just picking the bugs off. Then I found out that nothing will eat a potato bug- not chickens, not even guineas. Those bastards are superhuman. So much for that plan.
assateague

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat May 11, 2013 1:42 pm

My great grandpa used to make a wire cage out of wire that was big enough for chicks to freely run in and out of it. He would place a hen in there with the chicks and lets the chicks roam around his garden eating bugs. The chicks dont mess with the plants as much as a full grown chicken will, mostly just chase the bugs.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Thu May 23, 2013 4:06 pm

How is the chicken bizness going Assa?
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby assateague » Thu May 23, 2013 4:11 pm

So far so good. Got 27 in there now, and another 12 in the incubator, due sometime around Tuesday. By the time they start laying next spring, and getting rid of all but 4 roosters, I hope to have 20 laying hens left. We'll see!
assateague

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Thu May 23, 2013 4:14 pm

assateague wrote:So far so good. Got 27 in there now, and another 12 in the incubator, due sometime around Tuesday. By the time they start laying next spring, and getting rid of all but 4 roosters, I hope to have 20 laying hens left. We'll see!

Thinking about getting rid of the lab and turning the kennel into a coup, tired of all the ticks in the damn yard!

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby assateague » Thu May 23, 2013 4:37 pm

It'd be a lot nicer if dogs laid eggs, too. Everybody says that's too many, that we're going to be inundated with eggs. Well, that may be the case, but I can think of worse problems to have than having too much free food to go with my free deer steaks. Also, I fully expect to lose them regularly, due to critters, sickness, dogs, whatever. It'd be dumb to just have 10 and hope they make it, IMO.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Thu May 23, 2013 4:42 pm

No pictures?
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Thu May 23, 2013 4:42 pm

I keep forgetting your pics, Tom. I'll get you some tomorrow when it's not raining.
assateague

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Thu May 23, 2013 4:49 pm

Tomkat wrote:No pictures?

Don't know what a chicken is?

Spoken to 3Leg
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu May 23, 2013 4:50 pm

Probably somewhere between these two:
uploadfromtaptalk1369345837748.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1369345823606.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Thu May 23, 2013 5:00 pm

MuddyWaterWarlock wrote:

Yeah, thats what it is. Dont know what one is.

NO you clear water witch!

I want to see AT's set up, HIS chickens, how he feeds them. where they sleep, etc...
Tomkat

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri May 24, 2013 1:51 am

Tomkat wrote:
MuddyWaterWarlock wrote:

Yeah, thats what it is. Dont know what one is.

NO you clear water witch!

I want to see AT's set up, HIS chickens, how he feeds them. where they sleep, etc...

See page 4 of this thread :lol:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Tomkat » Fri May 24, 2013 7:18 am

Holy crap! Thats a chicken palace!
Tomkat

Postby aunt betty » Fri May 24, 2013 10:14 am

I picture AT sitting out there with his chickens...playing his mouth-harp and singing this song while he chokes his chicken. :lol:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Tomkat » Fri May 24, 2013 10:22 am

I saw the Daredevils at a field party near St Joe MO in 1978. One of the better days of my youth....

Things have changed a lot since then.
Tomkat

Postby Olly » Sat May 25, 2013 7:49 am

This thread just makes me want to build a small coop and get 3 or 4 chickens.

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat May 25, 2013 7:55 am

Olly wrote:This thread just makes me want to build a small coop and get 3 or 4 chickens.

Sent from my phone.

No way. 3 or 4 couldn't possibly be worth the trouble of the upkeep, but chickens could be nice to have...

I think this is where something clever about tapatalk should go.

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Olly » Sat May 25, 2013 8:00 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
Olly wrote:This thread just makes me want to build a small coop and get 3 or 4 chickens.

Sent from my phone.

No way. 3 or 4 couldn't possibly be worth the trouble of the upkeep, but chickens could be nice to have...

Really? I've never owned chickens but I've been researching smaller scale back yard coops and 3 or 4 seems to be a good number. I'm a single guy so there really is no way I could eat more eggs then more than that could produce.

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Tomkat » Sat May 25, 2013 8:03 am

Olly wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

Sent from my phone.

Really? I've never owned chickens but I've been researching smaller scale back yard coops and 3 or 4 seems to be a good number. I'm a single guy so there really is no way I could eat more eggs then more than that could produce.

Sent from my phone.

I have been reading about them, too. Would love to have some fresh eggs and some insect control.
I think in my case they would be a predator magnet.
Tomkat

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat May 25, 2013 8:04 am

No idea. Just couldn't think that the work involved would be much different from 3-20, but if it's just for you, why not?

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Olly » Sat May 25, 2013 8:08 am

This is what I had in mind.

uploadfromtaptalk1369487284712.jpg

Sent from my phone.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Sat May 25, 2013 8:14 am

One of my neighbors tried a similar little pen for a few months, but apparently scrapped the project.

No chickens at our place, but I'm about to find out how many young homing pigeons I'm willing to pluck at a sitting.
Rick

Postby Tomkat » Sat May 25, 2013 8:15 am

does it have wheels?
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Sat May 25, 2013 8:19 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:

Sent from my phone.

I disagree. It'd be a piece of cake with 3 hens and a rooster (although I'd go 4:1). They are easy keepers after about 5 weeks, and after about 10, they eat anything. Just like pigs. Throw out the dinner scraps, and they clean that shit up like its filet mignonette. When I'm skinning deer or hides, the ones that we had roaming around before my "domestication" of them this time, hang around snatching up every scrap they see fall.

Olly, I say go for it. You could build that for about $25, most expensive part would be chicken wire. You can expand later- just get some step-in posts, and have a semi-movable coop. They won't fly over chicken wire- any "lid" is to keep other critters out, not to keep them in.

And fresh eggs are delicious. My neighbor is getting a little over 3 dozen a day. I get his overflow.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369487970.203808.jpg
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Sat May 25, 2013 8:28 am

Thats what I worry about...the owls, coyotes, and hawks that like here now.
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Sat May 25, 2013 8:42 am

Yeah, you would definitely need it at your place. I'm lucky. We're very rural here, but I am a good ways from the nearest woods, which cuts down on the critters a lot. We get the occasional visitor, but not so much. I put the coop where I did because its under trees. This will help with the hawks while they're little, but when they get turned out when they're older, they're on their own.

If you do build one, don't forget the bottom. A wire top and sides are good, but a fox or coyote will dig right underneath in just a couple hours. My buddy lost all his chickens a couple years ago in one night by having a fox burrow under the blocks he set in the ground to build on, coming up inside the coop. Came in, and it was carnage. He pulled the coop off with a tractor, dug a 2 foot deep trench, and buried a double "curtain" of chicken wire, overlapping the outside of the block, then put the coop back on the foundation. He still has foxes try to dig under, but the chicken wire stops them. His is actually IN the woods, and he hasn't lost any in almost a year. They free range during the day, and they go back in at dusk, and he just makes sure the coop is closed up tight.

I'm sure you know this, but it's not the daytime you have to worry about.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Sat May 25, 2013 8:47 am

I hear ya, but daytime here is a little dangerous, too.

So you think that free ranging them during the day would be ok?

And isnt it best to get them as chicks so they know where "home" is?
Tomkat

Postby Olly » Sat May 25, 2013 8:49 am

This house is in the fake country. It's a large plot surrounded by suburban houses in the county. The predators I'd have to worry about would be foxes and hawks but I doubt even those would be a problem much. My plan is to let the chickens free range during the day and bring them in at night

Sent from my phone.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Sat May 25, 2013 8:51 am

A slick trick learned from our upland preserve days is to surround your pen with buried wire or tin angled away from the pen. A couple feet is more than enough, because while predators will dig straight down for seeming ever, they won't back up while digging. Don't know why, but our birds were glad it's so. Well, at least until they got shot.
Rick

PreviousNext

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden