Canning

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

Re: Canning

Postby rebelp74 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:28 pm

Make sure none of the threads are stripped on the bolts that lock it down.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby jehler » Sun May 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Nothing else to fail!! Are fucking kidding me assa? You'll want to make sure there is a safety pressure release, if there is make sure it works, if there isn't drill tap and install. My grandma put a lid through the ceiling and covered 600 square feet in slop, don't remember exactly what, just my gramps hollering about it for years
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Sun May 12, 2013 7:27 pm

Nonsense, you can see right on top there is a gauge, rocker, and pressure indicator. There's no such thing as a pressure release, other than the weights on the rocker.
assateague

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon May 13, 2013 2:24 pm

You guys need to re educate by watching radio flyer again!;)
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby aunt betty » Fri May 31, 2013 12:09 pm

Pressure and steam is a bit scary.
I freeze stuff and do simple canning.
No meat.

That pressure thing would be great for doing fish?
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby assateague » Fri May 31, 2013 1:45 pm

Yep. And the venison Eric talked me into doing last year was freaking awesome.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri May 31, 2013 2:08 pm

assateague wrote:Yep. And the venison Eric talked me into doing last year was freaking awesome.

Id love to be in you're shoes when it comes to having meat. I damn near can everything I get as it is. Only lasts me a few months though.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:50 pm

Assa, how do you do your pickled peppers?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:52 pm

assateague wrote:That is excellent! You can more than likely still order a seal for it, if it needs a new one.

Has a tapered fit lid and seems to be no space for a gasket. Sound right? Have the manual and says nothing of the gasket.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Like a beveled metal bottom, sort of like a flare fitting for copper pipe? I suppose it could be, but I've never heard of such a thing.

For the pickled jalapenos, I slice them with the food processor, and pack the jars pretty tight, leave 3/4" headspace. Add 1/8th tsp citric acid and 1/4 tsp pickle crisp (calcium chloride). The citric acid is "extra", since the brine is 3/4 white vinegar, but I like to add it just to be safe, since I don't water bath the peppers or anything. The calcium chloride is a MUST- without it, the peppers will be mushy. They'll be fine to eat, but mushy slimy peppers aren't as appetizing as crisp ones. Mix the brine in a pot roughly 1 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup water, 1 TBS pickling salt per pint jar. This will give you some extra for spillage and what boils off. (Pack the jars first, so you know how much brine you need.) After the jars are sterilized and packed, mix up the brine. Get it to a good, hot rolling boil, then start ladling it in. When the jar is full to the rim, go the next one. By the time you get them all filled to the rim, the first ones should have settled. Bounce/tap them on the counter to work out the air, and add more brine if needed. You want it to be about at the top of the shoulder/bottom of the threads. Then immediately seal, and let cool. Sometimes I turn them upside down, sometimes I don't. I don't recall ever have one go bad/not seal.

Some tips. I'm cheap, so rest assured that these really are necessary.

I get all my canning stuff at Walmart
-Buy the Heinz white vinegar. It makes far better canned/pickled goods than the off brands, and is worth the extra money. I've tried the cheap stuff, and there is a noticeable difference, especially with pickles
-Buy the canning/pickling salt in the blue and green box. It's a little more, but not much. It is a necessity, since it doesn't have any anti-caking agents which will make canned goods cloud up.
-Buy two containers of pickle crisp/calcium carbonate at least. You will use it. MAKE SURE THIS ISN'T PICKLING LIME- THEY SELL BOTH. I add this to damn near everything but tomato sauce.
-Buy the spice container-sized citric acid. This will last a long time before you use it all.
-It's almost impossible to use too much pickle crisp. Things will only stay so crunchy, then the rest will just precipitate out. I usually add 1/4-1/2 tsp per jar, whatever I feel like.
-Buy more vinegar than you think you will need, because it sucks to have a bunch of jars full of whatever, and not have enough vinegar to complete the brine. It is a huge pain in the ass waste of time. I usually buy the vinegar 5 gallons at a time in canning season, and the salt two boxes at a time during season.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:58 pm

Have everything but the crisper. So the hot brine seals the jar, no water bath needed? Will be trying this soon.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:02 pm

Yep. The boiling brine, as it cools, will create plenty of vacuum. I've never water-bathed my peppers or pickles. Like I said, if it makes you more comfortable, turn them upside down as they cool. But you gotta get the pickle crisp. Non-negotiable.

Also, I think now the pickle crisp is sold in pellet-type granules, so follow their recommended dosage. I had a big tub of the powder, which I haven't seen in a while, and when I was starting to run low last year, I started looking for more, but all I found were the little containers with the pellets. I may order some calcium chloride in bulk online instead of using the pellets. Just doesn't seem like they'd work as well, or be as easy to measure.
assateague

Postby assateague » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:16 pm

I'll probably order it from here. 2100g for $23, and the stuff at Walmart is about $7 for 150g.

http://www.bulkfoods.com/wholesale-cooking-ingredients/2721-Calcium-Chloride-5-pounds.html
assateague

Postby flight control » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:49 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
assateague wrote:That is excellent! You can more than likely still order a seal for it, if it needs a new one.

Has a tapered fit lid and seems to be no space for a gasket. Sound right? Have the manual and says nothing of the gasket.

My mom has one like that that I borrow when I need to. No seal in hers, you should be good to go. If in doubt, just put some water in there and try it out. If it won't build pressure/steam escapes, you know there is a seal missing.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:56 pm

flight control wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

My mom has one like that that I borrow when I need to. No seal in hers, you should be good to go. If in doubt, just put some water in there and try it out. If it won't build pressure/steam escapes, you know there is a seal missing.

Will give it a shot, the turkey fryer is coming out on te back porch for this test. :lol:
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby flight control » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:09 pm

:lol: but seriously it can't explode if it won't build pressure
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:38 am

When I was in engineering school I studied with some middle-eastern guys. From saudi-arabia, Pakistan, and a couple other countries. They all got together and would make curried chicken in a pressure cooker while we studied. It was horrible. Had to beg them to open windows. That is the only time I ever saw anyone use a pressure cooker. Curried chicken is ok but the process of cooking it about killed me. Damn...
I ended up hating them arab POS muthers when they all refused to dine at my house. They were affraid I would poison them with pork fat or bacon.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Previous

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden