UDS- TK

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

UDS- TK

Postby assateague » Wed May 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Or anyone with knowledge.

I have finally found a metal barrel. Going to pick it up tomorrow. $20. All the videos I have seen on YouTube have a charcoal basket, and I'm a little confused by this. I was under the impression that it was a smoker, not a direct heat grill system. Is there something I'm missing? And anyone with any links to plans/videos which they have firsthand knowledge of being a good setup, I would be grateful for. As long as it took me to find a barrel, I don't want to mess this one up. And please don't tell me I'm going to need to weld something, or I'll cry.
assateague

Re: UDS- TK

Postby Flightstopper » Wed May 15, 2013 5:12 pm

The meat is far enough away from the coals for it to get the direct heat temps. Lots of cool designs I've seen out there that people seem very happy with. I have no first hand to add. Went full out smoker with my build and almost wish I had done te UDS now that I see them.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Make a little fire box to the side of the barrel. The box would be were the fire is, no inderct heat inside the barrel itself. Cut hole in the barrel where the fire box will be and it will allow the smoke into the barrel.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Tomkat » Wed May 15, 2013 5:24 pm

I will take some pictures for you tonight.

Mine does use direct heat and a little basket with no bad effects

Sent from a fancy ass phone
Tomkat

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed May 15, 2013 11:58 pm

assateague wrote:Or anyone with knowledge.

I have finally found a metal barrel. Going to pick it up tomorrow. $20. All the videos I have seen on YouTube have a charcoal basket, and I'm a little confused by this. I was under the impression that it was a smoker, not a direct heat grill system. Is there something I'm missing? And anyone with any links to plans/videos which they have firsthand knowledge of being a good setup, I would be grateful for. As long as it took me to find a barrel, I don't want to mess this one up. And please don't tell me I'm going to need to weld something, or I'll cry.

No welding, but you will need to start by pissing all over the barrel first. :lol::lol::lol:
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Thu May 16, 2013 12:06 am

I may do that just out of the sheer principle of it.
assateague

Postby flight control » Thu May 16, 2013 9:28 am

Here are a few pics of mine. It could use a new coat of paint.
The charcoal basket. Its just held togther by bending some tabs th hook back through the grate. I just light 10-12 coals, place them at the bottom center and add charcoal and wood chunks on top. Find something to put under the basket to catch the ashes
IMG681.jpg

Make sure you add a hook to the lid
IMG682.jpg

Garage handle for the lid, open the holes for circulation
IMG683.jpg

Air intake. I usually leave one pipe nipple open and the ball valve halfway. My thermometer crapped out, but Ive never seen the temp go over 250, so as long as the lid feels very warm-hot to the touch, its cooking. The stainless pot in the back ground was for woodchips, but they didn't last long enough. Chunks of wood in the charcoal are the way to go. The pot could be filled with water and placed on the coals though.
IMG684.jpg

I'm firing it up saturday. Can't wait :beer:
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Tomkat » Thu May 16, 2013 10:06 am

Assateague,

AS you can tell from our conversation and the pictures I sent you, FlightControl has a smoker very similar to mine, right down to the lid handle, hook to hank the lid, and charcoal basket. Great minds thing alike :thumbsup:

FC has a better way to vent the air at the bottom than mine has. I reccomend doing it the way his is done.
Tomkat

Postby flight control » Thu May 16, 2013 10:18 am

Tomkat wrote:Assateague,

AS you can tell from our conversation and the pictures I sent you, FlightControl has a smoker very similar to mine, right down to the lid handle, hook to hank the lid, and charcoal basket. Great minds thing alike :thumbsup:

FC has a better way to vent the air at the bottom than mine has. I reccomend doing it the way his is done.

Good to hear I did it right. I think it might be one of your posts on the other site that made me look these up and build one. As I recall the guy bragging them over there was involved in some competitions. Was that you?
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Tomkat » Thu May 16, 2013 10:22 am

Yeah I was on the circuit for a few years. I got tired of the grind. When it got to not be fun anymore, I gave it up.

I wish I had this smoker when I was competing. Better than anything I had before.

How do you like yours?
Tomkat

Postby flight control » Thu May 16, 2013 10:34 am

Best 60 bucks I ever spent. I've never had any other smokers or any previous experience with any but I can't imagine a system that could do much better. Great smoke flavour, easy to run, great fuel efficiency, and the food always comes out moist, tender.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Tomkat » Thu May 16, 2013 11:19 am

flight control wrote:Best 60 bucks I ever spent. I've never had any other smokers or any previous experience with any but I can't imagine a system that could do much better. Great smoke flavour, easy to run, great fuel efficiency, and the food always comes out moist, tender.

AGREE.

You did it right with the venting system. Did you ever consider a pipe in the lid with an adjustable opening? It would give you a bit better temp control.
Tomkat

Postby flight control » Thu May 16, 2013 11:24 am

Tomkat wrote:
flight control wrote:Best 60 bucks I ever spent. I've never had any other smokers or any previous experience with any but I can't imagine a system that could do much better. Great smoke flavour, easy to run, great fuel efficiency, and the food always comes out moist, tender.

AGREE.

You did it right with the venting system. Did you ever consider a pipe in the lid with an adjustable opening? It would give you a bit better temp control.

I decided to try it as is first and have no complaints. It would probably look cooler with a chimney though. I'm also thinking of adding the shelves from an old grill to the sides.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Tomkat » Thu May 16, 2013 11:34 am

I would like to have a hinged door on mine to be able to access the fire box. I would like a chimmney on mine, but the guy I got it from drilled holes in the lid.
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Thu May 16, 2013 12:00 pm

TK, you've already given me an idea. I knew that I kept that old tailpipe off of my wife's truck laying around the barn for years. When I get it fabricated how I want it, I'll post a pic. Gonna be a few days.
assateague

Postby flight control » Thu May 16, 2013 12:21 pm

Tomkat wrote:I would like to have a hinged door on mine to be able to access the fire box. I would like a chimmney on mine, but the guy I got it from drilled holes in the lid.

I didn't add a door to the firebox. It's airtight when I close off the air and the charcoal goes out, ready for the next BBQ.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Tomkat » Thu May 16, 2013 12:28 pm

assateague wrote:TK, you've already given me an idea. I knew that I kept that old tailpipe off of my wife's truck laying around the barn for years. When I get it fabricated how I want it, I'll post a pic. Gonna be a few days.

Did you get the pics I texted you this morning? They were not all that great, but gives you a good idea.
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Thu May 16, 2013 12:39 pm

They give me an excellent start. But there was no tape measure in the pics, dammit.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Damn, didn't know y'all were like that. Pics of TK's junk and Assa insists upon a measurement.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Tomkat » Thu May 16, 2013 12:42 pm

assateague wrote:They give me an excellent start. But there was no tape measure in the pics, dammit.

My neighbor jacked around till dark. He is a talker. Left smoker out, will get measurements....
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Thu May 16, 2013 12:43 pm

Don't you have somewhere else to be?
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Thu May 16, 2013 12:43 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Damn, didn't know y'all were like that. Pics of TK's junk and Assa insists upon a measurement.

Well, its not often you see a white boy with 10 inches of junk. I dont blame him for wanting to confirm.

And it a shower, not a grower.
Tomkat

Postby flight control » Thu May 16, 2013 12:44 pm

:lol:
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby rebelp74 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:55 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Tomkat » Thu May 16, 2013 4:27 pm

AT-

Here is the guy that I got my smoker thermometer from

http://www.kck.com/bbq_thermometer_barbecue_grill_smoker_temperature_gauge.html
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Thu May 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Does it matter which one? Also, I NEED SOME MEASUREMENTS FOR THE FIRE BOX! I'm going to pick up the expanded metal tomorrow, and I need to know how big of a piece will do.

Sorry for yelling.
assateague

Postby flight control » Fri May 17, 2013 7:28 am

This is how I did mine
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Tomkat » Fri May 17, 2013 7:37 am

Flightstopper has my back!!!!
Tomkat

Postby flight control » Fri May 17, 2013 7:49 am

I need to get my name changed. People get confused between flight control and flightstopper 8-)
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Tomkat » Fri May 17, 2013 7:54 am

flight control wrote:I need to get my name changed. People get confused between flight control and flightstopper 8-)

DAMN sorry! Why dont you become Canada Duck Hammer?
Tomkat

Next

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden