mowing rates

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

mowing rates

Postby aunt betty » Fri May 31, 2013 8:20 am

How mch per acre?
Two acres wirh many trees.
Homeowner refuses to trim trees that have branches touching the ground and are a hazard.
Damn near knocks me off the mower.
How much extra for the pita factor?
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: mowing rates

Postby jehler » Fri May 31, 2013 8:49 am

150?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri May 31, 2013 8:56 am

One time deal or regular schedule? 300ish for one time. 200-250 For regular. Depends on your equipment and their pockets.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Fri May 31, 2013 1:13 pm

Just wondered what it is worth. Kinda figured it was around 75/acre.
Four times a month....five months is around 3000/season not counting getting limbs when it storms.
aunt betty

Postby assateague » Fri May 31, 2013 1:42 pm

$1 a minute.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri May 31, 2013 2:11 pm

assateague wrote:$1 a minute.

That would be a good rate for push mowing.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri May 31, 2013 3:24 pm

That's pretty much the going rate around here for landscape companies, with no trimming. Trimming is another $1 a minute.
assateague

Postby aunt betty » Fri May 31, 2013 3:34 pm

Using a JD 160.
Takes about 4hours. Lots of turning and trees to go around.
aunt betty

Postby assateague » Fri May 31, 2013 3:36 pm

See? Eric said 200-250, and at my $1 a minute, that puts you at $240. I'd go with $1 a minute. Give him some incentive to trim the damn trees.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri May 31, 2013 3:46 pm

assateague wrote:See? Eric said 200-250, and at my $1 a minute, that puts you at $240. I'd go with $1 a minute. Give him some incentive to trim the damn trees.

Don't be that guy that undercuts a pro by half, unless you just suck that bad at cutting.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri May 31, 2013 3:48 pm

Who undercut? I was saying the $1 is actually pretty accurate, and came in on the high end of your range.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri May 31, 2013 3:52 pm

assateague wrote:Who undercut? I was saying the $1 is actually pretty accurate, and came in on the high end of your range.

No no. I was tellinng betty not to be that guy. Your estimate is the same as mine.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri May 31, 2013 3:57 pm

Gotcha.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri May 31, 2013 4:23 pm

While I understand the purpose of bidding low, the people who do a job for next to nothing piss me off. Ussually do a terrible job and put a bad name out for contractors.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri May 31, 2013 4:48 pm

aunt betty wrote:How mch per acre? $50 (Assuming that it is just mowing or little weed eating)
Two acres wirh many trees. $100
Homeowner refuses to trim trees that have branches touching the ground and are a hazard. $150

That's what I would charge around here. Worst one I have is about a half acre that has tones of fucking flower beds in it. I have to push mow it because a riding mower will not fit.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri May 31, 2013 5:00 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
aunt betty wrote:How mch per acre? $50 (Assuming that it is just mowing or little weed eating)
Homeowner refuses to trim trees that have branches touching the ground and are a hazard. $150

That's what I would charge around here. Worst one I have is about a half acre that has tones of fucking flower beds in it. I have to push mow it because a riding mower will not fit.

You would cut 2 acres and 4 hours for $100?

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri May 31, 2013 5:03 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

I cut 5 acres, seedeater a pipe and cattle panel fence, 4 ditch lines and sprayed a 2 acre gravel lot for $125 a week. That's what it goes for around here. $25 an hour for easy work is good money. Its a hell of a lot better than splitting wood or laying brick.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri May 31, 2013 5:09 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

I cut 5 acres, seedeater a pipe and cattle panel fence, 4 ditch lines and sprayed a 2 acre gravel lot for $125 a week. That's what it goes for around here. $25 an hour for easy work is good money. Its a hell of a lot better than splitting wood or laying brick.

Couldn't make a living off that here. Would be nice though.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:12 pm

Not relevant to the topic but what is minimum wage up there? Here it's $7.25 or $7.50/hour.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri May 31, 2013 5:14 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Not relevant to the topic but what is minimum wage up there? Here it's $7.25 or $7.50/hour.

That's what it is here. Average annual salary is like $30,000 where I live. When they did the census there was only a hand full of people making over $100,000 in the area.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri May 31, 2013 5:32 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:Not relevant to the topic but what is minimum wage up there? Here it's $7.25 or $7.50/hour.

That's what it is here. Average annual salary is like $30,000 where I live. When they did the census there was only a hand full of people making over $100,000 in the area.

Probably the same mean income here, but you couldn't make a living cutting grass for $25 an hour as a business owner. Your expenses would eat up a large chunk of that

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:02 pm

woa woa woa...someone said those terrible words "minimum wage".
To me, minimum wage=minimum effort and almost zero responsibility.
You get what you pay for.

Been mowing my landlords 2-acre lawn for free since I don't pay rent. I have to maintain the tractor as well.
The landlord wants to start collecting rent so I'm gunna have to start charging for the stuff I do.
This will NOT go over well.

The landlord is my mother and she wants BOTH.
Pay for the house rent and maintain another as caretaker. (for free)
In the center of this dilemma is a jonboat I payed money for last fall.
They are holding the titles to the trailer and boat until we figure out how my mom can collect rent AND maintain the second property for free. This has me walking on eggshells and losing sleep.

I'm sure my mother would be glad to pay you $8.75/hour for the four hours it takes. You volunteering?
$35/week EASY MONEY...lol
aunt betty

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:29 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
assateague wrote:See? Eric said 200-250, and at my $1 a minute, that puts you at $240. I'd go with $1 a minute. Give him some incentive to trim the damn trees.

Don't be that guy that undercuts a pro by half, unless you just suck that bad at cutting.

Whoa, pump the brakes. A "pro"? We're still talking about cutting fucking grass, right? Its not golf course turf management is it?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:39 am

3legged_lab wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Whoa, pump the brakes. A "pro"? We're still talking about cutting fucking grass, right? Its not golf course turf management is it?

Pro meaning professional....meaning getting paid to do a job. Look it up. I am revering to the guys who cut grass for a living. You might be confusing pro with expert.

I was just telling Betty to not undercut the guy trying to make a living doing it by half.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:00 am

Eric that is the American way, undercutting keeps us honest
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Tomkat » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:55 am

jehler wrote:Eric that is the American way, undercutting keeps us honest

Competition is good for the consumer. Look at cell phones. We need like 37 more companies to provide service. Then the rates would fall.

Why your no daisy at all....
Tomkat

Postby jehler » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:03 am

LOTS of guys out there undercutting me, if I can't sell the customer on why I'm worth it i ain't got no business charging it
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Tomkat » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:13 am

jehler wrote:LOTS of guys out there undercutting me, if I can't sell the customer on why I'm worth it i ain't got no business charging it

Exactly right. You can get it cheap, or you can get it good, but you never get it cheap and good.
Tomkat

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:47 pm

jehler wrote:LOTS of guys out there undercutting me, if I can't sell the customer on why I'm worth it i ain't got no business charging it

Here we have COs that swap shifts with each other so they end up working 4 days on and 8 days off. Most of them do roofing/siding/flooring on the side. Key is, none of them carry insurance or get permits. With no overhead they will always be lower in price. I live in NY...home of the great Cuomo. We are broke and the majority of homeowners will take lowest bid no matter how good your work is. Including Elhers good. Almost all of my work is new houses, garages and city/county work. All things ypu can't do without being legit.

I'm not bitching. If i had the work schedule they did, id do it too...except id carry insurance.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Tomkat wrote:

Exactly right. You can get it cheap, or you can get it good, but you never get it cheap and good.

The phrase here is "cheap, right, or fast- pick two".
assateague

Next

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden