Tanning

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

Tanning

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:18 am

Exactly. That's how I learned to work on cars (and most stuff, for that matter). The one thing that I do want to try, but never have, is starting a fire with stick and string. I've always wanted to learn to do that.
assateague

Re: Tanning

Postby Olly » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:03 am

assateague wrote:Exactly. That's how I learned to work on cars (and most stuff, for that matter). The one thing that I do want to try, but never have, is starting a fire with stick and string. I've always wanted to learn to do that.

I could never get that to work, I have started a fire with a flat board and a rubbing stick. It's the practical way to light a fire with fircition, I did it once because a friend bet I couldn't. Had fire in 10 min...
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jehler » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:15 pm

Awesome thread assa, I'll have jr read it. He botched his deer last fall but has done a Hal dozen squirrels since and they came out good
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:15 pm

I've wanted to do a deer ever since I read the gunslinger series by Stephen king, anybody here read that?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:25 pm

Not big on Stephen King, but maybe I should check that out.
assateague

Postby jehler » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 pm

The first three books are great, then it gets hoaky, the last book irritated me but they were still good enough I will probably read them again
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby flight control » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:15 pm

I don't want to be "that guy" who joins a forum and then starts dogging up old threads but I had to tell you AT that was a great write up. I did this a few years ago with a fox and it turned out great. I shot the fox around noon and had the hide finished, hair on obviously, before bed. The whole time I was handling the brains I kept thinking I'm gonna get rabies, I'm gonna get rabies and die just so I can say I braintanned something. :shock:

Also, not trying to get you to join another forum or anything, but have you ever visited paleoplanet? I think you would find some interesting stuff over there.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby assateague » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:29 pm

I'll have to check it out. Just from the title, I suspect there might be some good stuff in there. And like you, every time I dig out the brains, I keep thinking I'm gonna get mad cow disease :lol: I (unfortunately) haven't had much luck brain tanning with the hair on, only making buckskin. I always get some hair slippage when trying to use the brains- not all over, just usually a spot about the size of a 50 cent piece. It's weird, because it happens so quickly, within a day or so. I used to think I was just scraping too deep (for buckskin, you can really wail on it, and it won't hurt anything), but I've tried to baby it for the hair on hides, and no luck. Works fine when I use one of the commercial solutions for hair on, just not the brains. I don't get it.
assateague

Postby flight control » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:42 pm

My fox didn't get any slippage, but it got done so quickly, I don't think it had time.

That site has all kinds of cool information on anything stone age or bushcraft related. I stumbled upon it when I was learning to build bows and lurked there for a long time. Info on bow building, medicinal/eddible plants, traps built from natural materials, you name it. I still check in from time to time, but not much activity lately.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:59 am

assateague wrote:Exactly. That's how I learned to work on cars (and most stuff, for that matter). The one thing that I do want to try, but never have, is starting a fire with stick and string. I've always wanted to learn to do that.
WOA! Forget that AT. I'm starting a "how to start a fire thread the old school way" thread. Pioneers did NOT use a bow and arrow to start a fire and I kind of doubt the Indians did it that way unless they were somewhere with no other choice.

They used a piece of flint, steel, and some char cloth.
If you have those three things, making fire is super-easy.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby assateague » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:04 am

Yes, but I might not. I will always, however, have a stick and a string.
assateague

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:20 am

assateague wrote:Yes, but I might not. I will always, however, have a stick and a string.
There ya go buddy. Have fun doing this! You will.

http://www.waterfowlforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1663
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Previous

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden