Chainsaws

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

Chainsaws

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Any of you got one?

I've got a Stihl 235 and a Husqvarna 394. Looking to get some new chain for the Husq but I'm in need of some recommendations. Currently running semi-skips on both but I'm thinking about switching to a full skip on the bigger saw because all it's used for is falling and blocking. I do yard work with the Stihl so the semi skip is fine. I've never ran a full-skip so any insight on how much more aggressive it is would be appreciated.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Re: Chainsaws

Postby jehler » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:Any of you got one?

I've got a Stihl 235 and a Husqvarna 394. Looking to get some new chain for the Husq but I'm in need of some recommendations. Currently running semi-skips on both but I'm thinking about switching to a full skip on the bigger saw because all it's used for is falling and blocking. I do yard work with the Stihl so the semi skip is fine. I've never ran a full-skip so any insight on how much more aggressive it is would be appreciated.

ask for the most aggressive chipper blade they stock, money
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Tomkat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:09 pm

I run a Stihl, too
Tomkat

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:03 pm

jehler wrote:

The Husqvarna takes a 48" bar, I'm looking for an excuse to get it lol. I have a 20" on it right now, and it's way to small, but blows through anything. The 394 is bigger than 95% of loggers even use. 32" is the biggest bar I've personally used...when it kicks, it kicks. Kind scared of the longer bars lol.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:24 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
jehler wrote:

The Husqvarna takes a 48" bar, I'm looking for an excuse to get it lol. I have a 20" on it right now, and it's way to small, but blows through anything. The 394 is bigger than 95% of loggers even use. 32" is the biggest bar I've personally used...when it kicks, it kicks. Kind scared of the longer bars lol.

we just bought the 372xp, biggest saw I have used and it does not feel unsafe with the full chipper. I'm not up to speed on cutting chain vernacular, not sure if chipper is the right name but the one we run has vet little in kick back protection
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:35 pm

Yeah, chipper is a type of tooth, its what I run. I've never run a full skip though, which is about the most aggressive it gets. 372 is a pretty big saw too. Most logging companies around here are using 362s with 32" bars. Best thing about long bars is no bending over to limb trees up.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:28 pm

Need to buy a saw to use around the farm and house. Will cut 95% mesquites up to the occasional 18" tree. What brand and saw fits this bill?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:31 pm

I never had anything but huskies, but my next will be a Stihl for sure.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Where did you get your current one from? Remember it was dirt cheap
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:35 pm

I own STihl. I have ran Husky and Jonsered, they are all good and cut. You might get by with a cheap saw, but once you run a good saw it is hard to go back. I would get one of the three mentioned above, based on availablility and service in your area.
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby assateague » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Google "reconditioned Husqvarna". I can't remember the name, but when you get there, look through them all, since a lot of times the same saw was a different price. I guess depends on what they had to do.

Don't get me wrong, they're good saws. But the fact that you can't find "reconditioned Stihl" speaks volumes. All my huskies have been good cutters, but if you don't use them often, they were a pain to start. I've heard Stihls are more reliable all around. And they better be, for twice the price. I've got a 445 with an 18" bar, and I'll routinely cut down 24" trees. It's got plenty of power.

But I still want a Stihl.
assateague

Postby jehler » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:42 pm

I'm a husky guy, but will own a Stihl 460 modded chainsaw before i die
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:45 pm

assateague wrote:Google "reconditioned Husqvarna". I can't remember the name, but when you get there, look through them all, since a lot of times the same saw was a different price. I guess depends on what they had to do.

Don't get me wrong, they're good saws. But the fact that you can't find "reconditioned Stihl" speaks volumes. All my huskies have been good cutters, but if you don't use them often, they were a pain to start. I've heard Stihls are more reliable all around. And they better be, for twice the price. I've got a 445 with an 18" bar, and I'll routinely cut down 24" trees. It's got plenty of power.

No shit. Just buzzed through craigslist and the old one's are still damn high.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Stihl makes a great saw. Not sure what model mine is but it has a 22" bar. It's cut everything that I've come across so far.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:51 pm

assateague wrote:Google "reconditioned Husqvarna". I can't remember the name, but when you get there, look through them all, since a lot of times the same saw was a different price. I guess depends on what they had to do.

Hmmm a 435 w/ 16" bar for $170, $100 off new. Might be in business
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:05 pm

Hard to go wrong with any Stihl. Husqs are great too, but they produced a crappy line of walmart saws. Stay away from those and you cant go wrong.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:07 pm

445 for $250 shipped. Thanks
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:

Hard to go wrong with any Stihl. Husqs are great too, but they produced a crappy line of walmart saws. Stay away from those and you cant go wrong.

Don't get a Poulan, they are garbage.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:10 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

The "homeowner" line of saws Husq produced are borderline poulans.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:12 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Dad has one he picked up dirt cheap to use around the house. Doesn't have any power but it has been reliable, with not much use.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:53 pm

Flightstopper wrote:445 for $250 shipped. Thanks

If its the same place, they ship quick. I had mine in a day. When I got mine, the plug wasn't gapped at all. They put a new plug in it, but I couldn't get it to fire. When I checked the gap, it was too big by about .250. It was horrible. May want to check that, just in case.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:10 pm

Newegg is who had the 445 I believe.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Stihl 039 and 391 is what I use. Buy one and you will never need another chainsaw.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:12 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Stihl 039 and 391 is what I use. Buy one and you will never need another chainsaw.

Begs the question...why do you have two then?? Lol
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:28 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:Stihl 039 and 391 is what I use. Buy one and you will never need another chainsaw.

He said he doesn't need another, but the want is always there :lol: :lol: :lol:
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:34 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:

That want is a mother fucker, I need to learn how to control mine. The wife don't help control it, she let's me get pretty much whatever I want and I have her believing that pretty much everything in the states is expensive. Kinda nice but not when she goes out and buys me some way overly expensive something I don't need like a belt or wallet.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:

The 391 has more power. The 039 is probably 20 years old and has cut hundreds of cords of wood. My uncle used it to cut wood for a living before I got ahold of it. Fires up like a champ, but isn't the greatest for 3' red oaks any more.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Tomkat » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:57 am

rebelp74 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:

That want is a mother fucker, I need to learn how to control mine. The wife don't help control it, she let's me get pretty much whatever I want and I have her believing that pretty much everything in the states is expensive. Kinda nice but not when she goes out and buys me some way overly expensive something I don't need like a belt or wallet.

Funny thing about buying stuff, spending money, and being married-

I normally keep a few guns laying around. When I get a new one, I roatate them into the mix and they never get noticed.
Tomkat

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden