Homemade Arc Welder

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

Homemade Arc Welder

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:25 pm

Sorry to disappoint, I haven't done this yet. But I'm going to. I now have my eye out for free (or very cheap) microwaves, and I already have the wire. But I think I will just use a 240 plug, since I have a 240 outlet in the shop, and that shit he rigged up looks dangerous, even to me. I can't wait to see if this works.

assateague

Re: Homemade Arc Welder

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:34 pm

Did you watch the WHOLE video? That guy already had $17 into the project (plus other supplies), and we haven't seen the second video yet...

You sure you want to jump into a project with a price tag like that???
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:56 pm

I watched the second one, too. There's no material in there- just how to wire them, and test to make sure they're running in phase. Which should be interesting, since I don't know jack about electricity.
assateague

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:01 pm

Speaking of microwaves, I have found 2 in storage units and sold them both for about $20 each.
goodkarmarising

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:10 pm

Too rich for my blood. Hell, they don't even have to work for me to use them in this little endeavor.
assateague

Postby one2many » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:18 pm

looks like a good way to burn your house down.
whats up with the guy wearing them fucked up gloves for the whole video? is he missing some fingers or something.man card revoked for sure
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:02 pm

It'll only be in the shop or the yard. So the house should- should- be safe. Is there a limit to how long the electrode cable can be? I'm thinking about 12 feet would be nice, but don't know if that'll cause too much of a drop.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:38 pm

one2many wrote:looks like a good way to burn your house down.
whats up with the guy wearing them fucked up gloves for the whole video? is he missing some fingers or something.man card revoked for sure

X 16 million.

Just forget about it, take your $3000 after the superbowl and get a good Lincoln Welder
Tomkat

Postby Olly » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Why not just Craigslist you a under $50 Lincoln welder. They can be had super cheap.

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:26 pm

You been on CL lately? I'm cheap- I look for that stuff everywhere, but I live in the middle of thousands and thousands of acres of farmland, and those welders get used for generations around the barn and on the implements. About the only ones you can find are maybe $20 less than you can buy new.

And I just called my buddy, in the nick of time. They have a condo kitchen renovation starting tomorrow. By Wednesday I should have my first microwave. Cost: $0.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:47 pm

assateague wrote:You been on CL lately? I'm cheap- I look for that stuff everywhere, but I live in the middle of thousands and thousands of acres of farmland, and those welders get used for generations around the barn and on the implements. About the only ones you can find are maybe $20 less than you can buy new.

And I just called my buddy, in the nick of time. They have a condo kitchen renovation starting tomorrow. By Wednesday I should have my first microwave. Cost: $0.

Dude, I am cheap. GKR is really cheap.

You are in a class all by yourself. You are Assacheap!
Tomkat

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:49 pm

assateague wrote:It'll only be in the shop or the yard. So the house should- should- be safe. Is there a limit to how long the electrode cable can be? I'm thinking about 12 feet would be nice, but don't know if that'll cause too much of a drop.

10-12 feet should be ok, might run a bit colder than it would on a store bought. same guy has a video for a spot welder, i am building that one at some point.
Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:18 pm
huntall6 wrote:MT is right.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:52 pm

(MT)Montanafowler wrote:
assateague wrote:It'll only be in the shop or the yard. So the house should- should- be safe. Is there a limit to how long the electrode cable can be? I'm thinking about 12 feet would be nice, but don't know if that'll cause too much of a drop.

10-12 feet should be ok, might run a bit colder than it would on a store bought. same guy has a video for a spot welder, i am building that one at some point.

If it drops the power too much you could always ad another terminal or whatever it is.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:05 pm

Ok, got started tonight. My fellow compound member (read "neighbor") is an electrical engineer/physicist, and after running all the numbers, convinced me I'm not gonna kill myself. He demonstrated by setting his hand across both terminals of my Jeep battery to show that the body was a safe enough resistor at the voltages I'd be dealing with.

So, got started tearing apart the microwave. Going to get wire tomorrow to start making a secondary coil while I'm waiting on another microwave.

And for the record, he went down fighting yet again on The 50/50, but it was still victorious. Although he gets very frustrated when I refer to it as "The Law".

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382223892.836552.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382223904.695615.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382223919.570385.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague

Postby jehler » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:51 pm

For the record I've offered him a free one, maybe I'll just send it
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Olly » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:27 pm

Assa, if you kill yourself I'm giving your Cabalas points to Manly Man and he'll spend them all on short shorts.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:30 pm

Olly wrote:Assa, if you kill yourself I'm giving your Cabalas points to Manly Man and he'll spend them all on short shorts.

And left handed guns.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:44 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Olly wrote:Assa, if you kill yourself I'm giving your Cabalas points to Manly Man and he'll spend them all on short shorts.

And left handed guns.

Nothing wrong with lefties. Although I've only ever owned right handed guns and just deal with it.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:47 pm

Olly wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

And left handed guns.

Nothing wrong with lefties. Although I've only ever owned right handed guns and just deal with it.

I knew that you're one of them too.

My brother is also a leftie and has also only ever shot right handed guns.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:49 pm

What the muff
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:54 pm

That's cruel and unusual punishment. Even for a dead man.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:23 am

I'd just haunt his ass. It'd smell like burnt French fries just before my apparition appeared.
assateague

Postby huntall6 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:47 pm

If you get stuck at all the fellows on weldingweb forum know their shit. An I know a few have built a microwave welder as well. I can't wait to see if you can pull it off safely.

And if you have too big of a drop with 12' leads just go with thicker wire. The longer leads you have the thicker the wire should be.
Redbeard wrote:Buy not when. I hit that damne pole

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Big dick cakes are delicious!
huntall6

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:54 pm

Just bought the wire for the secondary coils on the transformers. I now have $26 in this project.
assateague

Postby assateague » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:53 am

Just for grins, go back and click the video at the beginning of this thread. The plot thickens, and the project becomes more "interesting", since it's going to rely on my memory of watching the video now. Look out, Thomas Edison.
assateague

Postby one2many » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:52 pm

probably caught his house on fire :D
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:49 pm

This will end up being an awesome new way to torch a hot pocket.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby assateague » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:50 pm

Just picked up the 240V plug, electrode holder (clearance at Lowe's for $4.99), spade connectors, and some 8 gauge wire. All I need now is one more transformer and the leads for the ground and electrode and we're in business. I'm having a bitch of a time finding the 4 and 5 gauge stranded flexible rubber cord. Pissing me off.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:01 pm

I'm curious to know and see how it works. You gonna melt the metal with microwaves? Sounds cancerous. :D
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:39 pm

assateague wrote:Just for grins, go back and click the video at the beginning of this thread. The plot thickens, and the project becomes more "interesting", since it's going to rely on my memory of watching the video now. Look out, Thomas Edison.

The video worked for me when I watched it just now???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
FlintRiverFowler

Next

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden