Assa's homemade laundry detergent... true or false

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

Assa's homemade laundry detergent... true or false

Postby benelliquackstacker » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:04 pm

Assa, I heard through the grapevine that you make and use your own laundry detergent. Is this true and if so would you mind sharing your recipe?
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

Thats right pilgrim were here to kill your women and rape your horses- Bootlipkiller (bootliplicker)
benelliquackstacker

Re: Assa's homemade laundry detergent... true or false

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:10 pm

That's Jehler. He's cheap like me, but in a rich, eccentric way. He posted the recipe, but I've never tried it. Primarily because my wife is a Debbie Downer.
assateague

Postby benelliquackstacker » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:31 pm

assateague wrote:That's Jehler. He's cheap like me, but in a rich, eccentric way. He posted the recipe, but I've never tried it. Primarily because my wife is a Debbie Downer.

I see. I want to start making my own, just figure it'll be cheaper than buying from the "big box" stores and I can use that money to buy more duck killing stuff that I really dont need.
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

Thats right pilgrim were here to kill your women and rape your horses- Bootlipkiller (bootliplicker)
benelliquackstacker

Postby Westie25 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:18 am

jehler wrote: I made a liquid soap. 1 bar of fels naptha, 1 cup of borax and 1 cup of washing soda to 2 gallons of water. 1/4 cup per load. kinda thick, may want to add more water and use more per load. friggin cheap as hell.
Westie25

Postby benelliquackstacker » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:58 am

Awesome, thanks Westie.
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

benelliquackstacker

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:00 am

its cheaper to just wear your clothes 5 or 6 times before you wash them. :thumbsup:
FlintRiverFowler

Postby huntntech » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:08 am

I make my own laundry detergent also, but I leave it in a powder form. Here is what I use:

This makes a big batch. You can half everything and make a smaller batch.

2 Cups Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
2 Cups Borax
1 Cup Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, optional
1 bar Fels-Naptha, finely grated

Use 1 – 2 Tablespoons per load. Regular wash or small load: 1 Tbls. Heavily Soiled clothes or large load: 2 Tbls
huntntech

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:11 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:its cheaper to just wear your clothes 5 or 6 times before you wash them. :thumbsup:

Before I got married, I washed 1 maybe 2 loads a week, wore the same jeans for 4 to 6 days straight. Now that I'm married, there is always a load of clothes to do.
goodkarmarising

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Wait'll you have kids. Working from home, I may as well be running a Chinese laundry as well. Ridiculous. Although I did start piling their clean clothes, unfolded out of the dryer, in a heap in the middle of their bedroom floors. Told them if they weren't put away in one hour, they would go in the trash. Time for the indentured servants to step it up a notch.
assateague

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:01 pm

:lol: :lol: I remember when me and my brother left home, my dad got a zero turn mower and a gas log splitter. Me and my brother were like WTH!!!
goodkarmarising

Postby Tiler_J » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:29 pm

:lol: :lol: Same here, when my brother and I left my parents got a riding lawn mower, Dish network (we only had 4 tv channels), and a Corvette. I did get to drive the Corvette though, twice. :lol:
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:42 pm

goodkarmarising wrote::lol: :lol: I remember when me and my brother left home, my dad got a zero turn mower and a gas log splitter. Me and my brother were like WTH!!!

He had a mower he had to turn zero times and a power splitting axe as long as he had you two.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:09 pm

huntntech wrote:I make my own laundry detergent also, but I leave it in a powder form. Here is what I use:

This makes a big batch. You can half everything and make a smaller batch.

2 Cups Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
2 Cups Borax
1 Cup Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, optional
1 bar Fels-Naptha, finely grated

Use 1 – 2 Tablespoons per load. Regular wash or small load: 1 Tbls. Heavily Soiled clothes or large load: 2 Tbls

Where do you get this part? I've never heard of it.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:20 pm

They sell it at Ace hardware and some of the older, more local grocery stores. About $3 a bar if you buy singles.
assateague

Postby huntntech » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:28 pm

I get it at Kroger in the laundry aisle. That's the only place around here that I could find it.
huntntech

Postby goodkarmarising » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:45 am

Flightstopper wrote:
goodkarmarising wrote::lol: :lol: I remember when me and my brother left home, my dad got a zero turn mower and a gas log splitter. Me and my brother were like WTH!!!

He had a mower he had to turn zero times and a power splitting axe as long as he had you two.

That was the truth. Their yard consists of about 2 acres that is kept as a yard. In 1990, when they moved to where they currently live, he was a young nco and had just bought a house. So me and my brother would wind up pushing mowing around 1.5 to 2 acres at the ripe old age of 10 to 12. He called it character building.
goodkarmarising

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:17 am

goodkarmarising wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

That was the truth. Their yard consists of about 2 acres that is kept as a yard. In 1990, when they moved to where they currently live, he was a young nco and had just bought a house. So me and my brother would wind up pushing mowing around 1.5 to 2 acres at the ripe old age of 10 to 12. He called it character building.

I started push mowing our yard at 8, it was uphill in two directions and the mower was a 70s model snapper made long before the self propelled ones came along....and this was mid 90s so the mower was 20 something yrs old. when i was 11 i had to cut the yard with appedicitis, my dad just thought i was being a puss and complaining abt my stomach hurting bc i didnt want to cut the grass that day. by that night i was in surgery. built a sh*tload of character that day. :thumbsup:
FlintRiverFowler

Postby jehler » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:10 pm

assateague wrote:That's Jehler. He's cheap like me, but in a rich, eccentric way.

Lmao!
I switched to powder also, the liquid separates and is a pain in the ass. I make my own dishwasher detergent also. New secret weapon, I put a little Trisodium phosphate in part of the batch for whites, that's the stuff that the feds banned, also some baking soda(arm and hammer) for smells, It is absolute badass.
Two tablespoons per load.

Diswashing detergent is two cups of borax and washing soda each, a jar of citric acid from the canning isle of your local store, a cup of Trisodium phosphate and 1/8 bar o fella naphtha grated fine. A tablespoon in the precast, tablespoon in the reservoir and white viniger in the jet dry dispenser thingy.

Funny note, autocorrect changes viniger too binger lol!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:12 pm

:lol: it knows you all too well
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:48 pm

That's probably because it's vinEgar.

Wanna play WWF? :lol:
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby jehler » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:50 pm

Goldfish wrote:That's probably because it's vinEgar.

Wanna play WWF? :lol:

I know, but to change it to binger instead of vinegar??? Over your head?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:50 pm

Is binger even a real word?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:53 pm

I just Binged it (had to instead of googling it).

There are businesses around here with that name. And the free online dictionary just bumps it to binge. :?:

And yes, right over my head
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Gr8white » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:35 pm

The wife makes our laundry detergent also. She doesn't use the bar naphtha(sp) because it clogs your septic, or so she heard. She will grate a bar of soap for a substitute. It needs to sit for a few days before using as it is really thick like jello for the first day or so. After a few days it will separate, but will be in a more easily blendable state. A quick shake and your set...at least with our recipe.
1 cup borax
1 cup wash soda
1 bar of shredded ivory soap

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350527435.226821.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350527488.353529.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Gr8white

Postby Anissa » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:21 am

There are a number of reasons to take the plunge and try your hand at homemade laundry detergent.
Whatever the reason, making your own batch of laundry detergent is light on the wallet, gentle on clothing, and great for the environment. A typical batch of homemade laundry detergent using the recipes below will cost approximately three dollars, less than half of the leading national brand.All you need to do is collect three simple ingredients and a few kitchen items to make a powder or liquid detergent, safe for both front and top loading machines (it produces very low sudsing action).
Anissa

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:51 am

My kids make their own household cleaners.
The industry banks on the fact that lazy (or busy) people can be convinced to use a product that is inferior to what they can produce themselves at half the cost.

Look at all the cleaners and stuff like that at the store. You can make all sorts of cleansers from justa few simple household chemicals.

Bleach
Vinegar
Ammonia
Borax
etc.

On the subject of Fels Naptha soap. It's a good product. Next time you get poison ivy...try washing the affected area with Fels Naptha bar soap and see what happens. Should cure you. :thumbsup:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden