On demand water heaters

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

On demand water heaters

Postby BrewGUN » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:43 pm

Anyone have one(tankless)? Currently I'm running the standard 220v 40 gal water heater, which works great for everything around the house, until shower time. If its kids bath time,chances of a long hot shower following are slim. I've been looking at installing a on demand water heater(natural gas) to supply just the shower/tub. I threw it by Jehler and he suggested a boiler mate, but I'm pretty sure my little ol boiler couldn't handle the load, and space is a big issue.

Anyone have any input on tankless/on demand heaters? Brand suggestion?
BrewGUN

Re: On demand water heaters

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:51 pm

They have those here at the University. Never had used one until I came here. That shit will instantly scald you in the shower if you forget that you don't have to wait for water to warm up. Cant tell you a brand but they are pretty sweet compared to a regular heater.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:14 pm

When they were newer I heard several of the plumbers complain about them, high cost and not lasting long. Seems here lately I've been seeing them installed a little more often, cant help ya on brands to look at though.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:17 pm

I did work for a lady who has one of the heat pump water heaters the other day and did nothing but rave about it. One of them wouldn't help you with volume but she was very happy with energy consumption though.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:32 am

You could shave off the body sweater you wear year round, and take a quick hot shower like a man...

No need to take 20 minutes rinsing the soap out of your gorilla style body armor.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby capt1972 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:38 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:You could shave off the body sweater you wear year round, and take a quick hot shower like a man...

No need to take 20 minutes rinsing the soap out of your gorilla style body armor.

Pfffttt!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:40 am

Hairy as motherfuckers!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby BrewGUN » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:24 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:You could shave off the body sweater you wear year round, and take a quick hot shower like a man...

Or you could grow some body hair like a man, usually happens after puberty, you'll get there don't worry ;)
BrewGUN

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:53 am

They don't last very long. The boat I started on had them, there were a lot of cold showers.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby BrewGUN » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:12 am

rebelp74 wrote:They don't last very long. The boat I started on had them, there were a lot of cold showers.

How long ago was this, from what I've read, they've gotten a lot better.
BrewGUN

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:55 am

If you had to haul wood to heat water for showers the whole "I need 40 gallons of hot water to shower" thing would end right now.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby BrewGUN » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:06 am

aunt betty wrote:If you had to haul wood to heat water for showers the whole "I need 40 gallons of hot water to shower" thing would end right now.

But I don't, so point voided.
BrewGUN

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:17 am

BrewGUN wrote:
aunt betty wrote:If you had to haul wood to heat water for showers the whole "I need 40 gallons of hot water to shower" thing would end right now.

But I don't, so point voided.

Yup. I take about an hours worth of showers a day, because I can. I don't have a tankless but I know a lot of people who do and they have lasted for a long time. 8+ Years. I have what jehler suggested. Indirect water heater and it never runs cold.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:37 am

Curt drain your heater and pull the lower heat coil, get a look in there with a flashlight and see how much gunk is in there, you might be heating a lot less than 40 gallons with the water we got here (scale and lime in the tank)
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:38 am

And boiler mate is a brand, there are cheaper ones, I can check with uncle Ed if you want on a price wholesale
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby BrewGUN » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:52 am

jehler wrote:Curt drain your heater and pull the lower heat coil, get a look in there with a flashlight and see how much gunk is in there, you might be heating a lot less than 40 gallons with the water we got here (scale and lime in the tank)

I'm due for cleaning it out anyways, prob do it this spring. I just replaced the lower element about a year and a half ago so it should be good. I need to add salt to my softener too. My water usually isn't too bad buildup wise.

I looked at a few of the other brands, but the prob I'm running into is 1) my boiler is only 88k btu, I don't think she could handle another zone(she just a wee little boiler) and 2) I don't have the space for the indirect setup really.
BrewGUN

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:20 am

My parents have one. It was pretty nice to have with a family of 5 all getting up and taking showers in the morning.
They've had it for 10 years with no problems out of it. Made by Rinnai.
I'm lookin into one for my house soon bc my wife takes such long showers and leaves me with the cold water all the time.
They'll save you money too bc they're not sittin there heating water all the time that's not getting used.
I think there's some shit about them running dish washers and clothes washing machines though. My parents have the one up stairs for the showers and then a big electric tank heater in the basement to run appliances.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby BrewGUN » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:54 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:My parents have one. It was pretty nice to have with a family of 5 all getting up and taking showers in the morning.
They've had it for 10 years with no problems out of it. Made by Rinnai.
I'm lookin into one for my house soon bc my wife takes such long showers and leaves me with the cold water all the time.
They'll save you money too bc they're not sittin there heating water all the time that's not getting used.
I think there's some shit about them running dish washers and clothes washing machines though. My parents have the one up stairs for the showers and then a big electric tank heater in the basement to run appliances.

That's exactly what I'm shooting for, appliances don't use much, just hate watching my electric meter about blow the meter bearing from spinning so fast :(
BrewGUN

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:43 pm

BrewGUN wrote:

Or you could grow some body hair like a man, usually happens after puberty, you'll get there don't worry ;)

Pffftt! Know your limits!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby jehler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:13 pm

They do not save money
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:18 pm

jehler wrote:They do not save money

The commercials on the radio say they do.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby BrewGUN » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:05 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:

I'm not terribly concerned with saving butt loads of money, and I'm sure it won't, but being able to take a nice long shower without worrying about running out if hot water is what I'm shooting for.
BrewGUN

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:07 am

BrewGUN wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

I'm not terribly concerned with saving butt loads of money, and I'm sure it won't, but being able to take a nice long shower without worrying about running out if hot water is what I'm shooting for.

If you run it too hard it will drop out for a few seconds to cool itself off. It'll make your dick shrink up real quick when that cold water runs through.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby jehler » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:12 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
BrewGUN wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

If you run it too hard it will drop out for a few seconds to cool itself off. It'll make your dick shrink up real quick when that cold water runs through.
yep, and this will lead to you walking around in the snow in your underwear showing off kubarachi moves
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby BrewGUN » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:34 am

jehler wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
BrewGUN wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

yep, and this will lead to you walking around in the snow in your underwear showing off kubarachi moves

That's a bad thing?
BrewGUN

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:33 am

rebelp74 wrote:They don't last very long. The boat I started on had them, there were a lot of cold showers.
about 6-7 years ago.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:01 pm

BrewGUN wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

Sounds like you've got your mind made up, go buy one. Fly me out and I'll install it for ya.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby BrewGUN » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:56 am

3legged_lab wrote:
BrewGUN wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

Sounds like you've got your mind made up, go buy one. Fly me out and I'll install it for ya.

How about this, you fly out here (buy your own ticket), ill supply you with all the beer you can handle, cook up some dead animal thats in my freezer (species yet to be determined), and you got a deal!
BrewGUN

Postby aunt betty » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:38 am

I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden