Garden Thread 2014

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:51 pm

I've got cucumbers, too. They snuck up on me. I've got to take a pic of the peppers, too- the hybrid program is really showing a difference this year. The three year culled/carried over seed plants are far nicer than any of the other varieties we planted for comparison. And they're hot as ****, too, which I'm not sure is a good attribute in a jalapeño.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:56 pm

assateague wrote:I've got cucumbers, too. They snuck up on me. I've got to take a pic of the peppers, too- the hybrid program is really showing a difference this year. The three year culled/carried over seed plants are far nicer than any of the other varieties we planted for comparison. And they're hot as ****, too, which I'm not sure is a good attribute in a jalapeño.


Oh look at you with your fancy **** "n" to be all correct in spelling jalapeno.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
User avatar
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 8350
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:59 pm
Location: Ogdensburg, NY

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm ready to get mine going. My pepers are looking pretty poor right now Ithink a big part is starting the seed in the ground. Took them forever to come up and get going. I do have two okra plants that kicked ass and will pull seed from them soon. Started some Roma seed inside to see if I can get some plants to come up and get seed from before it gets too cold.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
User avatar
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 9754
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:46 pm
Location: Pflugerville, Tx

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:12 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
assateague wrote:I've got cucumbers, too. They snuck up on me. I've got to take a pic of the peppers, too- the hybrid program is really showing a difference this year. The three year culled/carried over seed plants are far nicer than any of the other varieties we planted for comparison. And they're hot as ****, too, which I'm not sure is a good attribute in a jalapeño.


Oh look at you with your fancy **** "n" to be all correct in spelling jalapeno.





Apparently my phone is Mexican, too, because I damn sure don't have a tilde on my keyboard :lol:
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:35 pm

Ñ Ń Ņ Ň

The third one has a ****
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
User avatar
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 17344
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:19 pm
Location: OREGON

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:45 pm

Probably can't tell too well from the pics. The peppers on the left are the highly scientific Eastern Shore People's Peppers. The squarish plot in the right are 4 different store bought varieties we used for comparison. They'll get pulled up in another week or so.


ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405554270.838458.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:46 pm

First picking of the year. Looks like I'm gonna be braiding onions and blanching tomatoes tonight.



ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405554391.884242.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:14 pm

Holy hell Jim. How many roma plants? I really like the peppers.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
User avatar
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 9754
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:46 pm
Location: Pflugerville, Tx

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:15 pm

I planted 84, and unfortunately all of them made it.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:01 pm

Second tomato picking, and cucumbers are finally making enough to start pickling



ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406250079.788501.jpg


ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406250101.240990.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:36 pm

Looking good man.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
User avatar
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 9754
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:46 pm
Location: Pflugerville, Tx

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby one2many » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:47 pm

assateague wrote:First picking of the year. Looks like I'm gonna be braiding onions and blanching tomatoes tonight.



ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405554391.884242.jpg

do you really braid them? i love the look of them and garlic when all braided up. maybe im a bit of a nancy but oh well
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
User avatar
one2many
 
Posts: 5012
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: 37 miles from the middle of nowhere

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:00 pm

I do. That's the only way I've found to keep them good for any length of time. But I said screw it and put them in the hay barn for the time being.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:37 pm

assateague wrote:Second tomato picking, and cucumbers are finally making enough to start pickling



ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406250079.788501.jpg


ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406250101.240990.jpg


Is that 5¢ off per gallon sitting on the table there?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
User avatar
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 8350
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:59 pm
Location: Ogdensburg, NY

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby AKPirate » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:45 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
assateague wrote:Second tomato picking, and cucumbers are finally making enough to start pickling



ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406250079.788501.jpg


ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406250101.240990.jpg


Is that 5¢ off per gallon sitting on the table there?


Yep, the $5 cup of coffee :lol: :lol: :lol:
YouTube Prostaffer
User avatar
AKPirate
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 9139
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:55 pm

AKPirate wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
assateague wrote:Second tomato picking, and cucumbers are finally making enough to start pickling



ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406250079.788501.jpg


ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406250101.240990.jpg


Is that 5¢ off per gallon sitting on the table there?


Yep, the $5 cup of coffee :lol: :lol: :lol:

We get 10¢ off a gallon for buying an xlarge coffee which costs $2.26. By my calculations that's only a $.26 coffee. Can't even brew your own for that price.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
User avatar
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 8350
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:59 pm
Location: Ogdensburg, NY

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:34 pm

I'm going to put 20 gallons of diesel in the wife's truck for about $4. That's not "per gallon", that's "$4".
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby Mornin Beef » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:57 am

assateague wrote:I planted 84, and unfortunately all of them made it.

Rofl, holy **** that funny.
Carp
Mornin Beef
 
Posts: 5357
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:25 pm
Location: Erie Canal

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:29 pm

Picked last night by headlight. Made 5 gallons of salsa, and still have this to deal with.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406741342.966244.jpg



ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406741308.350449.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:33 pm

assateague wrote:Picked last night by headlight. Made 5 gallons of salsa, and still have this to deal with.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406741342.966244.jpg



ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406741308.350449.jpg


The chickens? McNugget them.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
User avatar
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 8350
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:59 pm
Location: Ogdensburg, NY

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:45 pm

Good luck, AT. That's a lot of tomatoes.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it ****!

Reinstate West Virginia!
User avatar
Feelin' Fowl
 
Posts: 11025
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:48 am
Location: Northern IL

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:56 pm

I'm doing the garden at grandparents, beed some **** rain real bad. Most things had to be planted twice due to rabbits, only 3 zucchini, 3 okra, and tomatoes made it. 2nd planting is close.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
User avatar
jarbo03
 
Posts: 11741
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:22 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Good luck, AT. That's a lot of tomatoes.



You want some? Come get a bushel or two.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby Duckdog » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:39 pm

jarbo03 wrote:I'm doing the garden at grandparents, beed some **** rain real bad. Most things had to be planted twice due to rabbits, only 3 zucchini, 3 okra, and tomatoes made it. 2nd planting is close.


We are really dry right now. This year's garden is the worst one I've ever grown.
I wished I hadn't even put in a garden this year. I planted with my daughter's help before my shoulder surgery, and then didn't have any way to work it. And nobody else that lives here wants to do anything but EAT the stuff that comes out of the garden.
So, with all of that good rain we got during the early summer, the weeds took it over with a vengeance!
When it came time to dig taters and onions, I ran the fork (one handed) while the kids pulled up weeds and separated potatoes and onions. Pretty much had to fork up the entire garden from one end to the other just to find them all!
It sucked!

It's a pitiful looking mess now,...I've had ONE red tomato...ONE!
If we would get a good day of rain, I think the tomatoes would actually recover a little bit, but...
Like I said, with everything that's gone on here in the last 4 months, I wish I would have just skipped this year.
User avatar
Duckdog
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:38 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:50 pm

assateague wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:Good luck, AT. That's a lot of tomatoes.



You want some? Come get a bushel or two.


That's a hell of a drive for salsa ingredients. :lol:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it ****!

Reinstate West Virginia!
User avatar
Feelin' Fowl
 
Posts: 11025
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:48 am
Location: Northern IL

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby one2many » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:28 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
assateague wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:Good luck, AT. That's a lot of tomatoes.



You want some? Come get a bushel or two.


That's a hell of a drive for salsa ingredients. :lol:

i would bet he would show you his welder :D
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
User avatar
one2many
 
Posts: 5012
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: 37 miles from the middle of nowhere

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:54 pm

one2many wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
assateague wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:Good luck, AT. That's a lot of tomatoes.



You want some? Come get a bushel or two.


That's a hell of a drive for salsa ingredients. :lol:

i would bet he would show you his welder :D


Could be worth it
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it ****!

Reinstate West Virginia!
User avatar
Feelin' Fowl
 
Posts: 11025
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:48 am
Location: Northern IL

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:20 pm

I've give you the damn welder if you come get some tomatoes. I will, however, have a waiver that both you and your wife must sign.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:22 pm

assateague wrote:I've give you the damn welder if you come get some tomatoes. I will, however, have a waiver that both you and your wife must sign.


:lol: Throw in that cheap old generator, and you've got yourself a deal!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it ****!

Reinstate West Virginia!
User avatar
Feelin' Fowl
 
Posts: 11025
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:48 am
Location: Northern IL

Re: Garden Thread 2014

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:17 pm

No **** way. You can have the one I tried to convert to using an old bicycle to make electricity.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

PreviousNext

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron