DIY Ice maker

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

DIY Ice maker

Postby Olly » Tue May 13, 2014 3:11 pm

Does anyone see a problem with taking a few ice makers like the kind you have in your freezer in a fridge and installing them in an old smaller chest freezer? Would this work? Been wanting an ice maker and they are so damn expensive. I think I'm going to give this a try shout out any ideas you think would improve on my redneck ice maker.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
User avatar
Olly
WFF Administrator
 
Posts: 15511
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 am

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby Woody » Tue May 13, 2014 3:18 pm

Olly wrote:Does anyone see a problem with taking a few ice makers like the kind you have in your freezer in a fridge and installing them in an old smaller chest freezer? Would this work? Been wanting an ice maker and they are so damn expensive. I think I'm going to give this a try shout out any ideas you think would improve on my redneck ice maker.

I have seen it done, it will work.
Have you ever wondered why your **** still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
User avatar
Woody
 
Posts: 6622
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:41 am

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby one2many » Tue May 13, 2014 5:52 pm

i wouldnt think it would be that hard...hate ice cube trays and buying bags of ice at the store
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
User avatar
one2many
 
Posts: 5012
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: 37 miles from the middle of nowhere

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby Olly » Tue May 13, 2014 6:01 pm

one2many wrote:i wouldnt think it would be that hard...hate ice cube trays and buying bags of ice at the store


Me too and ice makers even used are so expensive. You could get a small 5 cu/ft chest freezer for less than $75 bucks and the ice makers for $30 online.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
User avatar
Olly
WFF Administrator
 
Posts: 15511
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 am

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby one2many » Tue May 13, 2014 6:09 pm

sounds like a good idea.i may try it too.i go through a ton of ice at home and the one in the fridge has trouble keeping up at times
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
User avatar
one2many
 
Posts: 5012
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: 37 miles from the middle of nowhere

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby Olly » Tue May 13, 2014 6:14 pm

one2many wrote:sounds like a good idea.i may try it too.i go through a ton of ice at home and the one in the fridge has trouble keeping up at times


I thought of it the other day and then researched it online and have seen a few people who have done it but not a lot. I would think that letting the entire chest fill up with loose ice would lead to one giant block of ice. Did a quick search online and you can get new 20lb ice bags 500 count for around $30 dollars. Then just bag your own, my plan is to allow the ice to fill up a container then bag the ice. Might build a divider in the chest half filled with loose ice and the other half with bagged ice.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
User avatar
Olly
WFF Administrator
 
Posts: 15511
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 am

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby capt1972 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:32 pm

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
User avatar
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 5582
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:33 pm
Location: Where the ducks arnt

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby Olly » Tue May 13, 2014 7:40 pm

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
User avatar
Olly
WFF Administrator
 
Posts: 15511
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 am

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby capt1972 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:42 pm


My buddy has one, its really not that bad. Now if you are throwing a kegger, well then.....
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
User avatar
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 5582
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:33 pm
Location: Where the ducks arnt

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby Olly » Tue May 13, 2014 7:43 pm

We're talking having lots of ice on hand. I can make more ice than that if I put a bigger tray into my freezer!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
User avatar
Olly
WFF Administrator
 
Posts: 15511
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 am

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby capt1972 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Olly wrote:We're talking having lots of ice on hand. I can make more ice than that if I put a bigger tray into my freezer!

I get it. I really posted it as a joke.

You could just go to the dollar store and buy a **** of ice cube trays and load the chest freezer up then bag it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
User avatar
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 5582
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:33 pm
Location: Where the ducks arnt

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby assateague » Tue May 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Wish you would've posted this a month ago. We had one sitting in the feed room for a year, that was given to me by a guy who runs a charter boat. I was too cheap to plug it in, and didn't really have a use for it, anyway, so gave it away. One of those tall ones like in restaurants, with the flip up silver metal door. Sorry!
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby one2many » Tue May 13, 2014 9:27 pm

assateague wrote:Wish you would've posted this a month ago. We had one sitting in the feed room for a year, that was given to me by a guy who runs a charter boat. I was too cheap to plug it in, and didn't really have a use for it, anyway, so gave it away. One of those tall ones like in restaurants, with the flip up silver metal door. Sorry!

that would have been the cats meow there.
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
User avatar
one2many
 
Posts: 5012
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: 37 miles from the middle of nowhere

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue May 13, 2014 9:33 pm

Olly wrote:
one2many wrote:sounds like a good idea.i may try it too.i go through a ton of ice at home and the one in the fridge has trouble keeping up at times


I thought of it the other day and then researched it online and have seen a few people who have done it but not a lot. I would think that letting the entire chest fill up with loose ice would lead to one giant block of ice. Did a quick search online and you can get new 20lb ice bags 500 count for around $30 dollars. Then just bag your own, my plan is to allow the ice to fill up a container then bag the ice. Might build a divider in the chest half filled with loose ice and the other half with bagged ice.

You can just go to one of those big ice machines and steal the real ice bags too. They have 20 lb bags there and the metal clasps.
User avatar
FlintRiverFowler
 
Posts: 6386
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 1:08 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby AKPirate » Tue May 13, 2014 9:37 pm

Ice machines and air conditioners, you **** are weird
YouTube Prostaffer
User avatar
AKPirate
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 9139
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby one2many » Tue May 13, 2014 9:47 pm

lmao. i could live without the AC up in the arctic, maybe.
cant stand a warm and swampy bedroom when its time to sleep, that why i get up and go to my own place :o
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
User avatar
one2many
 
Posts: 5012
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: 37 miles from the middle of nowhere

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue May 13, 2014 10:16 pm

assateague wrote:Wish you would've posted this a month ago. We had one sitting in the feed room for a year, that was given to me by a guy who runs a charter boat. I was too cheap to plug it in, and didn't really have a use for it, anyway, so gave it away. One of those tall ones like in restaurants, with the flip up silver metal door. Sorry!

Easily a grand on Craigslist .
User avatar
FlintRiverFowler
 
Posts: 6386
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 1:08 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby Tiler_J » Tue May 13, 2014 10:21 pm

assateague wrote:Wish you would've posted this a month ago. We had one sitting in the feed room for a year, that was given to me by a guy who runs a charter boat. I was too cheap to plug it in, and didn't really have a use for it, anyway, so gave it away. One of those tall ones like in restaurants, with the flip up silver metal door. Sorry!

I call ****!! There is no way you "gave" one away! Nice try, not buying it. Go troll somewhere else. Next you are going to tell us you dropped a quarter in a parking lot, when you pulled out your keys, and just left it. Yeah, right!!
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
User avatar
Tiler_J
 
Posts: 6098
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby one2many » Tue May 13, 2014 10:27 pm

:lol: :lol:
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
User avatar
one2many
 
Posts: 5012
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: 37 miles from the middle of nowhere

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue May 13, 2014 10:28 pm

AKPirate wrote:Ice machines and air conditioners, you **** are weird


:lol:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it ****!

Reinstate West Virginia!
User avatar
Feelin' Fowl
 
Posts: 11025
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:48 am
Location: Northern IL

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed May 14, 2014 12:31 am


My dad bought one of those to take camping with him - fresh ice for his drinks. It actually works well.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
User avatar
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 17344
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:19 pm
Location: OREGON

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby assateague » Wed May 14, 2014 5:36 am

Tiler_J wrote:
assateague wrote:Wish you would've posted this a month ago. We had one sitting in the feed room for a year, that was given to me by a guy who runs a charter boat. I was too cheap to plug it in, and didn't really have a use for it, anyway, so gave it away. One of those tall ones like in restaurants, with the flip up silver metal door. Sorry!

I call ****!! There is no way you "gave" one away! Nice try, not buying it. Go troll somewhere else. Next you are going to tell us you dropped a quarter in a parking lot, when you pulled out your keys, and just left it. Yeah, right!!



Maybe "bartered" would've been a better word. Gave it to the farrier, and haven't paid for hooves since.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby aunt betty » Wed May 14, 2014 11:35 am

Maybe unrelated but I use them big 3-gallon jugs that cat litter comes in to freeze ice.
My deep freeze is on -10. A chunk of ice like that lasts me about two weeks in my Coleman extreme. Temps in the 40's or 50's during day and 20's at night
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to **** around with a crazy man's head.
User avatar
aunt betty
 
Posts: 14590
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 pm
Location: East Side

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed May 14, 2014 11:50 am

Why not call them king sized ice cube trays?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
User avatar
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 17344
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:19 pm
Location: OREGON

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed May 14, 2014 11:53 am

aunt betty wrote:Maybe unrelated but I use them big 3-gallon jugs that cat litter comes in to freeze ice.
My deep freeze is on -10. A chunk of ice like that lasts me about two weeks in my Coleman extreme. Temps in the 40's or 50's during day and 20's at night

That's the way ice used to come.
RonE probly has some stories of taking the horse and buggy into town to get his mammy a block of ice.
User avatar
FlintRiverFowler
 
Posts: 6386
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 1:08 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby aunt betty » Wed May 14, 2014 11:58 am

A 24 pound chunk of solid ice would certainly last for any weekend campout but you need a huge cooler.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to **** around with a crazy man's head.
User avatar
aunt betty
 
Posts: 14590
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 pm
Location: East Side

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed May 14, 2014 1:28 pm

All this ice machine talk caused me to remember I have one.... Ha.now I got me a little project figuring out how to run a water line and drain out to my garage.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400091995.176184.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
User avatar
FlintRiverFowler
 
Posts: 6386
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 1:08 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby RonE » Wed May 14, 2014 1:30 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Maybe unrelated but I use them big 3-gallon jugs that cat litter comes in to freeze ice.
My deep freeze is on -10. A chunk of ice like that lasts me about two weeks in my Coleman extreme. Temps in the 40's or 50's during day and 20's at night

That's the way ice used to come.
RonE probly has some stories of taking the horse and buggy into town to get his mammy a block of ice.


Mammy's are black ladies with children, I didn't have one of those. I do remember the Ice Man coming to my grandmothers house though. My dads father and his brother (my great or grand uncle) were the General Electric distributers for Texas, Louisiana and New Mexico during the depression and sold many, many, refrigerators. (the ones with the coil on top)
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of **** by the clean end."
User avatar
RonE
 
Posts: 3379
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:33 pm
Location: Rockport, Texas

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby RonE » Wed May 14, 2014 1:31 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:All this ice machine talk caused me to remember I have one.... Ha.now I got me a little project figuring out how to run a water line and drain out to my garage.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400091995.176184.jpg


You live in Georgia, don't worry about a drain, just let it drain on the garage floor.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of **** by the clean end."
User avatar
RonE
 
Posts: 3379
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:33 pm
Location: Rockport, Texas

Re: DIY Ice maker

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed May 14, 2014 1:35 pm

RonE wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:All this ice machine talk caused me to remember I have one.... Ha.now I got me a little project figuring out how to run a water line and drain out to my garage.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400091995.176184.jpg


You live in Georgia, don't worry about a drain, just let it drain on the garage floor.

It makes a lot of waste water.
Maybe I can figure up a way to water my plants with it.
User avatar
FlintRiverFowler
 
Posts: 6386
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 1:08 pm
Location: Georgia


Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests