Plumbing advice

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

Plumbing advice

Postby BrewGUN » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:15 pm

So heres my situation. I believe 2" well, 3/4hp goulds pump into 40gal pressure tank, 3/4" glav pipe into house. Pressure switch set at roughly 40/57, tank pressure set at 36. I cant run two sprinklers, or one kind of sprinkler for very long, or if I just open up the hose to water a couple trees, I get good pressure for a minute or two, then the pump kicks on, but cant maintain pressure and water pressure slows to trickle. Im thinking my pump is on its way out. Thought about upsizing to a 1hp pump. Showers are fine, and can do dishes/laundry with no problems, but it cant keep up with an open hose or higher flow residential sprinkler.
Any thoughts/ideas?
BrewGUN

Re: Plumbing advice

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:17 pm

I always suspect the bladder tank, first.
assateague

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:18 pm

And is that the proper switch/tank setting? Doesn't seen quite right, but it's been a while since I've had to fuck with one.
assateague

Postby BrewGUN » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:19 pm

assateague wrote:I always suspect the bladder tank, first.

just replaced that last year i believe, maybe two years ago. Ill check it again, but pretty sure its not that.
BrewGUN

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Also, do you have a bypass on your bladder tank? If so, close it and see if the sprinklers will run then. If so, it's your tank.
assateague

Postby BrewGUN » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:20 pm

assateague wrote:And is that the proper switch/tank setting? Doesn't seen quite right, but it's been a while since I've had to fuck with one.

I upped it to get more pressure, it used to be at 20/40, but you couldnt take a shower and run the dishwater or laundry at the same time. My pump has a hard time getting to 60, so ive said F it at 57
BrewGUN

Postby BrewGUN » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:21 pm

assateague wrote:Also, do you have a bypass on your bladder tank? If so, close it and see if the sprinklers will run then. If so, it's your tank.

I maybe have to plumb one in this weekend, right now I dont have one.
BrewGUN

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:26 pm

If you changed the pressure switch settings, I'm almost positive you have to adjust the air pressure in the bladder tank. But like I said, it's been a while.
assateague

Postby BrewGUN » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:45 pm

assateague wrote:If you changed the pressure switch settings, I'm almost positive you have to adjust the air pressure in the bladder tank. But like I said, it's been a while.

I did adjust, its supposed to be 2 psi lower than the cut off setting, from what ive read 2-5 is good, which im there.
i just did a drain down, checked my tank pressure (33psi), and powered it back on. It took almost 8 minutes to charge back up to 57psi.
The pressure tank sounds empty so im not too concerned about it being that.
The diagram on the pressure switch has a charge for hp ratings based on volatage and phase, and on a 115v it says 1 1/2hp, doesnt even list 3/4hp.
BrewGUN

Postby RonE » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:31 pm

Wells and pumps are white mans magic. There are so many factors.........Depth of well and standing water level. Draw down level. Pump horse power and number of "stages" in your pump. (Often a higher stage pump will out preform a higher horse power pump with the same number of stages as the present pump). Does you pump have a screen or filter? Is it clean? Is the bladder in you tank good? Does your tank have a bladder?

Sometimes going to a higher horsepower pump requires going from a 2 wire to a 3 wire set up which might require a new circuit breaker. (If your pump is 220 volt make sure that one half of the circuit breaker isn't tripped, some 220 pumps will run poorly on 110 but not all of them).

Call some of the local pump guys and tell them what your concerns are and they might point you in the right direction. I have changed several pumps, both shallow and deep (200') and it isn't rocket science but it is a PITA and like all plumbing jobs, takes about 4 trips to the hardware store.

Good luck!
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:34 pm

I forget that not everybody has a 20' deep well with an above ground jet pump. Disregard any suggestions I may have accidentally given :lol:
assateague

Postby BrewGUN » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:02 am

assateague wrote:I forget that not everybody has a 20' deep well with an above ground jet pump. Disregard any suggestions I may have accidentally given :lol:

Mines an above ground pump as well, not sure in depth. Ran two regular sprinklers for an hour last night with no problem, but when I hook up a high volume one or turn a hose on to water the trees, a minute later I'm down to a trickle for a minute or so.
BrewGUN

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:37 am

I still say it's your bladder tank.
assateague

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:13 am

I'm saying that a 3/4 line from the well is the issue.

It works while you are running two restricted lines (sprinklers) but the minute you open one with no restriction (assuming 5/8 or 3/4 hose) AND try to run another line - the tank keeps up until it's drained and then you slow to a trickle.
Also, 8 minutes to fill a tank from 0 makes me think it's a supply issue.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby BrewGUN » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:20 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:I'm saying that a 3/4 line from the well is the issue.

It works while you are running two restricted lines (sprinklers) but the minute you open one with no restriction (assuming 5/8 or 3/4 hose) AND try to run another line - the tank keeps up until it's drained and then you slow to a trickle.
Also, 8 minutes to fill a tank from 0 makes me think it's a supply issue.

I'd like to have a 1" or big line into the house, but that's what I have to work with, it's a small house so I don't think they ever planned on using much water.

I'd like to put in a 4" well, but that's just not feasible on our budget right now.
BrewGUN

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:46 am

You should also know that I just found out about sharkbites, so I'm pretty much a professional plumber now.
You may want to give my advice weighty consideration before totally disregarding it.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby RonE » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:03 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:You should also know that I just found out about sharkbites, so I'm pretty much a professional plumber now.
You may want to give my advice weighty consideration before totally disregarding it.

They are a little known secret and will make a plumber out of anyone. Somewhat of a combination between an erector set and tinker toys for adults. Easy to use and they work every time.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby BrewGUN » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:42 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:You should also know that I just found out about sharkbites, so I'm pretty much a professional plumber now.

Love those things in a pinch!
BrewGUN

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden