New to cast iron cooking

Post up all your game recipes!

New to cast iron cooking

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:18 pm

So like I said before I got a lodge cast iron skillet for Christmas. I know you don't want to cook fish in it because the smell/taste will linger. My question is: do you guys refrain from cooking taco meat in your cast?

sent from my Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Re: New to cast iron cooking

Postby Olly » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:30 pm

I got everything in my skillet. I've never noticed a fish taste after words.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:38 pm

That's good because I don't want my eggs and hash browns to taste like tacos.

Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:39 pm

After I cook in mine I always wipe it out with a rag and then take a very small amount of oil and run it around in there and let it cool.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:01 pm

Olly wrote:After I cook in mine I always wipe it out with a rag and then take a very small amount of oil and run it around in there and let it cool.

Sent using Tapatalk

I don't use any soap either. I got some "cast iron conditioner" with it to keep it seasoned. Its a mixture of palm oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, and vitamin E.

YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:05 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Olly wrote:After I cook in mine I always wipe it out with a rag and then take a very small amount of oil and run it around in there and let it cool.

Sent using Tapatalk

I don't use any soap either. I got some "cast iron conditioner" with it to keep it seasoned. Its a mixture of palm oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, and vitamin E.

Sounds like skin lotion.

Sent using Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:09 pm

My skillet likes coco butter. :mrgreen:

3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby rozzo842 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:11 pm

I've been using Crisco on my cast. It seems to work real well.
rozzo842

Postby Bad17 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:06 pm

I always use bacon grease. Not the healthiest but seasons real well.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby jehler » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:11 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

Sent using Tapatalk

I can hear the board meeting now, "I'm telling you, there are suckers that will but this shit if we call it cast iron conditioner"
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:40 pm

jehler wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Sent using Tapatalk

I can hear the board meeting now, "I'm telling you, there are suckers that will but this shit if we call it cast iron conditioner"

Might as well use astroglide
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby BrewGUN » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:45 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
jehler wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Sent using Tapatalk

Might as well use astroglide

Depends on where your from it could be one and the same ;)
BrewGUN

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:50 pm

jehler wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Sent using Tapatalk

:lol: I got it for Christmas with the skillet. Once its gone it'll be plain old vegetable oil.

3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:02 am

I'll share what little I know.

I read that the old timers would take a new skillet and use a brick on it. Scrub and polish the metal well before you start.
New skillets are bumpy and a bit rough. Ideally you start with something smooth. After you season a skillet that's smooth like that it gets like "black glass".

Once you have it seasoned you never want to wash it.

Here''s something that took me years to discover and my damned wife is such a clean freak...won't allow me to keep a skillet "right". She insists on washing them. (boooo)

At camp I have MY WAY! This is something I learned thru trial and error about bacon, eggs, and skillets.

When you start out to make breakfast you MUST have bacon grease to get started. That's why you save the grease and here is why. If you DON'T start out with old bacon grease your pan gets sticky and you can't turn an egg w/out breaking. (been there, done that) When you start out with good bacon grease, the pan stays slick and turning the eggs is easy-peasy. When you get done cooking, let the skillet cool, pour grease into a tin can, and wipe the skillet out with a paper towel. Save that for starting your next fire. Put the skillet into the stove and grease where you keep the bacon grease at. (my grandpa TRIED telling me this but I ignored him)

Apparently I know quite a bit about cast iron cooking.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Fri May 31, 2013 11:10 am

Looky what I found. Sweetness. Smooth like glass. Cant wait to use it.
Never seen such quality in a skillet.
Griswold....never heard of it.
Teach me.
1370016510380.jpg
1370016541331.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
aunt betty

Postby rozzo842 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:39 am

aunt betty wrote:Looky what I found. Sweetness. Smooth like glass. Cant wait to use it.
Teach me.
1370016510380.jpg
1370016541331.jpg

Griswold is highly sought after. Supposed to be the best. That skillet would fetch close to $100 around here although I'd never pay that. Gotta find em at garage sales.
rozzo842

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:49 am

aunt betty wrote:Looky what I found. Sweetness. Smooth like glass. Cant wait to use it.
Teach me.
1370016510380.jpg
1370016541331.jpg

You sonofabitch! You stole my pan. Had my name casted in it and everything!

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby BrewGUN » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:25 am

Teach me.
1370016510380.jpg
1370016541331.jpg

ill give ya $5 and pay for shipping.
BrewGUN

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:01 pm

BrewGUN wrote:
Teach me.
1370016510380.jpg
1370016541331.jpg

ill give ya $5 and pay for shipping.

My wife made a little begging noise and the "I want that" face.
Its not going anywhere.
Nice try tho.
aunt betty

Return to Kitchen & Game Recipes Forum