Redneck Lox

Post up all your game recipes!

Re: Redneck Lox

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed May 01, 2013 7:08 pm

jehler wrote:When I was a kid our cold smoker involved a small fire in a hole with a flue that ran 10' or so through the ground to an old fridge type deal, gramps made bacon in it and that was about it. Later in life once I was in my own I have been using a big chief smoker to do cheese and oysters but I my in the winter when it's 10 or so and the element alone keep the temp down enough to not melt the cheddar. If you know where I'm going with the supplies I listed you've probably seen the same websites/vids I have, I haven't done it yet but hope to with some salmon this summer.

So a teepee is a horrendous idea in this weather, gotch ya. Now you really got me thinking.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby jehler » Wed May 01, 2013 7:18 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:
jehler wrote:When I was a kid our cold smoker involved a small fire in a hole with a flue that ran 10' or so through the ground to an old fridge type deal, gramps made bacon in it and that was about it. Later in life once I was in my own I have been using a big chief smoker to do cheese and oysters but I my in the winter when it's 10 or so and the element alone keep the temp down enough to not melt the cheddar. If you know where I'm going with the supplies I listed you've probably seen the same websites/vids I have, I haven't done it yet but hope to with some salmon this summer.

So a teepee is a horrendous idea in this weather, gotch ya. Now you really got me thinking.
maybe not, just depends on how you get the smoke to the teepee
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Wed May 01, 2013 7:21 pm

I'm gonna be ordering a book on Charcuterie, I'm no expert but have done a bit, a buddy this fall made some duck procuito (sp) that was amazing, think it would be even better smoked. I'll share any info I get. I think the humidity is as important as the temp?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Mornin Beef » Wed May 01, 2013 7:30 pm

jehler wrote:I'm gonna be ordering a book on Charcuterie, I'm no expert but have done a bit, a buddy this fall made some duck procuito (sp) that was amazing, think it would be even better smoked. I'll share any info I get. I think the humidity is as important as the temp?

I would imagine all the time Im spending on drawing the water out of it, it would be pretty crucial not to put the meat in a place where it would soak it back up. Now Im thinking about it. This hurts
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby rebelp74 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:32 pm

jehler wrote:I'm gonna be ordering a book on Charcuterie, I'm no expert but have done a bit, a buddy this fall made some duck procuito (sp) that was amazing, think it would be even better smoked. I'll share any info I get. I think the humidity is as important as the temp?

Duck proscuitto sounds awesome.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby jehler » Wed May 01, 2013 7:41 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:

I would imagine all the time Im spending on drawing the water out of it, it would be pretty crucial not to put the meat in a place where it would soak it back up. Now Im thinking about it. This hurts
the salt draws it out, I think you want a humidity that lets it smoke And develop almost a glaze without drying or building a condensate that makes the glaze run, 60% or so I think
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Wed May 01, 2013 7:42 pm

rebelp74 wrote:

its amazing, you could butter your bread with the fat, mouth is watering thinking about it
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby rebelp74 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:29 pm

jehler wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

its amazing, you could butter your bread with the fat, mouth is watering thinking about it

I'm jelly. You got a recipe or how to go about a curing method for it smoked or not? This is the first thing I've seen on all of these forums' recipe threads that I have a must try attitude about.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby jehler » Thu May 02, 2013 9:19 pm

MB, pm brewgun, he has some
Magic new cold smoking 40$ invention
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Thu May 02, 2013 9:19 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
jehler wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

I'm jelly. You got a recipe or how to go about a curing method for it smoked or not? This is the first thing I've seen on all of these forums' recipe threads that I have a must try attitude about.
i have a
Link I'll
Share later
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Thu May 02, 2013 9:20 pm

Wow!

New phone
Types in
Shatner!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby capt1972 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:23 pm

jehler wrote:Wow!

New phone
Types in
Shatner!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Kitchen & Game Recipes Forum