Sourdough Flapjacks

Post up all your game recipes!

Sourdough Flapjacks

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:59 am

Figured I'd share this one, it's healthy and a great way to start the day on a cold morning. I think you could feed an army with this mix, I ate 3 and was too full. This would be good for feeding the kiddos. If you don't like the taste of whole wheat, you can use other flour, just make sure to keep the proportion the same.

Sourdough Flapjacks

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 cup milk
Add the milk-butter mixture to:
~1 Cup sourdough starter
1 tsp salt
~1 Tbsp Honey
1 Cup Whole Wheat flour
½ Cup White flour
2 Tbsp Flaxseed meal

Mix together to form a thick batter, cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 8-14 hours. If you do this before going to bed, you’ll have the batter ready for breakfast the next day.

Start preheating your cast iron skillet, then whisk in 2 large eggs and 1/4 tsp baking soda into the batter. Add a bit of warm water to the mix until you get your preferred consistency. Whisk until well mixed.
Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:18 pm
huntall6 wrote:MT is right.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Re: Sourdough Flapjacks

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:26 am

Do I have to use cast iron, or will modern cookware work?

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:48 am

Surprised you're allowed to cover it with plastic wrap. Figured it'd be "pine bough" or something like that.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:05 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Do I have to use cast iron, or will modern cookware work?

Sent from my Vox Mortem

I only us cast on certain meats and only sometimes. Modern, better cookware will work just fine.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:24 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

I only us cast on certain meats and only sometimes. Modern, better cookware will work just fine.

I was just messing with MT. Thanks for the serious answer though.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:30 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

Sent from my Vox Mortem

I thought I was too. I know how emotional these guys get about their cast iron pans.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:32 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

Sent from my Vox Mortem

I thought I was too. I know how emotional these guys get about their cast iron pans.

:lol: Yea they do. I see what you did now. My bad.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby flight control » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:34 pm

I've tried to get a sourdough starter going several times now and they always go bad. MT, any tips on starting and maintaining sourdough?
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Sent from my Vox Mortem

:lol: :lol: :lol: yeah should be fine :thumbsup:

assateague wrote:Surprised you're allowed to cover it with plastic wrap. Figured it'd be "pine bough" or something like that.

plastic wrap or a clean dish towel, just something to keep it covered so it won't dry out. :thumbsup:

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:45 pm

flight control wrote:I've tried to get a sourdough starter going several times now and they always go bad. MT, any tips on starting and maintaining sourdough?

is it molding on you? you have to clean the container every 2-3 weeks. to get one started, use a good flour and mix 4 parts flour with 3 parts water. leave the top off the container for 3 days so it can "catch" bacteria. sourdough results from several stages of bacterial growth that results in a highly acidic environment that is sterile except for the "good" sourdough bacteria. this takes a minimum of a week to occur.

during the first 10 days is the most likely time for your starter to go bad, you need to let it catch a strain, then you have to feed the strain, the bacteria will take care of the rest. feed it every 12 hours for the first week, just a half cup or cup of flour per feeding. start cycling out "old" starter with new flour, take a cup of old out then feed. you can't use the starter for the first week anyway, unless you like sitting on the pot for a day or two. after ten days, you should have viable starter that can be used. it should smell slightly beery and acidic at the same time.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby flight control » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Cool. It wasn't mouldy, it had weird orange streaks through it, might be normal, but I wasn't taking any chances. I'll try again with your method.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby jehler » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:56 pm

assateague wrote:Surprised you're allowed to cover it with plastic wrap. Figured it'd be "pine bough" or something like that.
i used a moose's nut sack to keep it authentic
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Olly » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:31 pm

You have many Moose down there in TC?

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jehler » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:34 pm

Olly wrote:You have many Moose down there in TC?

Sent from my phone.
nope
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:35 pm

Olly wrote:You have many Moose down there in TC?

Sent from my phone.

Jr made a hat for John from one of their nut sacks.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:05 pm

flight control wrote:Cool. It wasn't mouldy, it had weird orange streaks through it, might be normal, but I wasn't taking any chances. I'll try again with your method.

yeah the orange stuff is a mold. keep it clean and fed regularly and it should do well. when it rises, use a rubber scraper and clean the sides of the jar, that's where the mold starts. once you get it going, smell it and taste it regularly, that will tell you how well it's doing.

some people keep it in the fridge but we use ours three times or more a week usually, so i just keep it on the counter and feed it every other day or so.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:10 pm

jehler wrote:

can you fuckers not clog up my thread with this stupid shit for once? if you want to actually talk about sourdough recipes that's fine.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:14 pm

(MT)Montanafowler wrote:
jehler wrote:

can you fuckers not clog up my thread with this stupid shit for once? if you want to actually talk about sourdough recipes that's fine.

Gonna cry?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:21 pm

nope. just figured i would share something that i thought would interest some of you guys, there's no reason to pollute my thread.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby Olly » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:23 pm

The OP has spoken. If you don't have anything to say about the topic move on.

MT thanks for sharing, I want to give this a go.

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Olly wrote:The OP has spoken. If you don't have anything to say about the topic move on.

MT thanks for sharing, I want to give this a go.

Sent from my phone.

Thanks dude, let me know if you do.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:29 pm

You being serious?
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:30 pm

(MT)Montanafowler wrote:
flight control wrote:I've tried to get a sourdough starter going several times now and they always go bad. MT, any tips on starting and maintaining sourdough?

is it molding on you? you have to clean the container every 2-3 weeks. to get one started, use a good flour and mix 4 parts flour with 3 parts water. leave the top off the container for 3 days so it can "catch" bacteria. sourdough results from several stages of bacterial growth that results in a highly acidic environment that is sterile except for the "good" sourdough bacteria. this takes a minimum of a week to occur.

during the first 10 days is the most likely time for your starter to go bad, you need to let it catch a strain, then you have to feed the strain, the bacteria will take care of the rest. feed it every 12 hours for the first week, just a half cup or cup of flour per feeding. start cycling out "old" starter with new flour, take a cup of old out then feed. you can't use the starter for the first week anyway, unless you like sitting on the pot for a day or two. after ten days, you should have viable starter that can be used. it should smell slightly beery and acidic at the same time.

Ok, so to make the sourdough starter you make a flour/water mash and to "feed" it you take a 1/2 cup of the mash out and mix in a cup of flour?

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:42 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Ok, so to make the sourdough starter you make a flour/water mash and to "feed" it you take a 1/2 cup of the mash out and mix in a cup of flour?

that is basically it. you mix in flour and water 4:3 ratio, i eyeball it. you need a decent sized container, i got mine for 4 bucks at walmart. this is it but i got a much smaller one, about 6 inch diameter and 8 inches tall, seems to be more than enough for us currently.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hocking-Heritage-Hill-2-Gal-Jar-with-Lid/16486707

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:43 pm

(MT)Montanafowler wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:Ok, so to make the sourdough starter you make a flour/water mash and to "feed" it you take a 1/2 cup of the mash out and mix in a cup of flour?

that is basically it. you mix in flour and water 4:3 ratio, i eyeball it. you need a decent sized container, i got mine for 4 bucks at walmart. this is it but i got a much smaller one, about 6 inch diameter and 8 inches tall, seems to be more than enough for us currently.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hocking-Heritage-Hill-2-Gal-Jar-with-Lid/16486707

How long does it stay good? As long as you keep it off the sides and from molding?

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby flight control » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:44 pm

3legged_lab wrote:You being serious?

I think we need a "safe word" to shout out so others will know we're serious.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:48 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
(MT)Montanafowler wrote:

How long does it stay good? As long as you keep it off the sides and from molding?

yep. supposedly some strains have been maintained for a hundred years.

and also, it's really freaking cheap. i've saved a ton on bread items i would normally buy, it also helps us continue to cook at home rather than go out to eat.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:01 pm

(MT)Montanafowler wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
(MT)Montanafowler wrote:

yep. supposedly some strains have been maintained for a hundred years.

and also, it's really freaking cheap. i've saved a ton on bread items i would normally buy, it also helps us continue to cook at home rather than go out to eat.

Interesting, I'll have to give it a try sometime.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:06 pm

let me know if you have any more questions :thumbsup:

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:07 pm

I'm lost. I love sourdough bread...

This is a starter? What do you put the starter in to make bread/pancakes?

Teach me! (seriously)
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Next

Return to Kitchen & Game Recipes Forum