Rotisserie Duck! Excellent!!

Post up all your game recipes!

Postby Tiler_J » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:19 pm

So, I am new to the rotisserie cooker, but got some advice from a friend and wanted to share. First off you will need a rotisserie, I have a Ronco "as seen on TV" rotisserie, looks like they are around $100.00. Once you get this, you will have completed the most difficult part of this way of cooking ducks.

So far we have only tried a couple of simple rubs on the full body ducks, one was a lemon-pepper with a dash of chilli powder and another was just a orange-pepper. Apply rub, stick them into rotisserie cooker. For just a few ducks we would cook them for around 25-30 minutes. We loaded ours up this weekend with 8 and cooked them for about 35 minutes.

That is it, simple. It is so far some of the best duck I have ever had. We cooked 2 teal, one sprig, and 5 spoonies, and they were all excellent! The teal were a little more cooked (a little over medium rare) than the other birds, but they all came out amazingly juicy and with great flavor.

We will be experimenting through the season with different seasonings and possibly some marinades, but so far even just lemon-pepper has been excellent!! It is worth the investment in the rotisserie, you will not be disappointed.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Re: Rotisserie Duck! Excellent!!

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:33 pm

Do you throw away the skin?

I'm being serious, I see pin feathers still on the one.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:36 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Do you throw away the skin?

I think only two had pin feathers bad the rest looked like foster farms chickens. But yes the ones with pin feathers joel pulled the skin off and they were still great!

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:16 am

3legged_lab wrote:Do you throw away the skin?

Two ducks had pinfeathers so bad that we cooked them and then ditched the skins, like Boot said. But they still turned out great. I am not really sure if this is a recipe or just an endorsement for the rotisserie cooker but just thought I would pass along our newest find for cooking duck. My wife doesn't like really like the duck I have cooked for us before, but she really likes it like this.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby BrewGUN » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:13 am

Tiler_J wrote:So, I am new to the rotisserie cooker, but got some advice from a friend and wanted to share. First off you will need a rotisserie, I have a Ronco "as seen on TV" rotisserie, looks like they are around $100.00. Once you get this, you will have completed the most difficult part of this way of cooking ducks.

I think the most difficult isnt obtaining a rotisserie, but rather spending the time to plug that many ducks to put in the rotisserie. Pluckin sucks :(
BrewGUN

Postby flight control » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Did you marinate them first? My brother does geese that way and they turn out great.

And quit being a bunch of pussies, pinfeathers taste great. :D
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby flight control » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:06 pm

Disregard, for some reason the only thing that showed up was the picture. The rubs sound good. I like to inject marinade into the breasts when I do them on the smoker. Might be worth a try.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:36 pm

I will say this- I love rotisserie birds. And I'm not an "overly cautious" sort of guy. But my buddy damn near burned down his cabin with that exact same rotisserie when we were up in the mountains trout fishing. We came back, and that fucker had burst into flames probably 20 seconds before we walked in the door. I mean BURST INTO FLAMES. Not "smoking", not "getting hot", but a 3 foot sheet of flame coming out of the area on the counter where the device and turkey breasts had been. Set it and forget it my ass. I'll never own one. But that's just me.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:43 pm

assateague wrote:I will say this- I love rotisserie birds. And I'm not an "overly cautious" sort of guy. But my buddy damn near burned down his cabin with that exact same rotisserie when we were up in the mountains trout fishing. We came back, and that fucker had burst into flames probably 20 seconds before we walked in the door. I mean BURST INTO FLAMES. Not "smoking", not "getting hot", but a 3 foot sheet of flame coming out of the area on the counter where the device and turkey breasts had been. Set it and forget it my ass. I'll never own one. But that's just me.

Yet you'll build an arc welder out of an old fucking microwave!
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:29 pm

assateague wrote:I will say this- I love rotisserie birds. And I'm not an "overly cautious" sort of guy. But my buddy damn near burned down his cabin with that exact same rotisserie when we were up in the mountains trout fishing. We came back, and that fucker had burst into flames probably 20 seconds before we walked in the door. I mean BURST INTO FLAMES. Not "smoking", not "getting hot", but a 3 foot sheet of flame coming out of the area on the counter where the device and turkey breasts had been. Set it and forget it my ass. I'll never own one. But that's just me.

Maybe he should have cleaned it first.

AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:00 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

I said I wasn't an "overly cautious" guy, dammit. How much more of a disclaimer can you want?
assateague

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:01 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:

It was brand new, right out of the box. Unpacked it that morning after breakfast before heading out fishing. Although we were hungover, so I suppose its possible we may have substituted fuel oil for the cajun injection.

Or it was like what's his name's gun, and was full of packing grease.
assateague

Postby Juice Box » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:06 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

Lol x2
"Olly cop hater? No

Olly American? Yes"
Juice Box

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:19 pm

assateague wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:

It was brand new, right out of the box. Unpacked it that morning after breakfast before heading out fishing. Although we were hungover, so I suppose its possible we may have substituted fuel oil for the cajun injection.

:lol: sounds like fun anyway!

Bootlipkiller

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:41 pm

I mean we were really, really hungover. In retrospect, still delirious drunk is probably more accurate. By the time lunchtime rolled around, we were feeling better and all we could think about was turkey, gravy, and mashed potatoes. Instead, we get a small fire. Pissed off, we were.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:41 pm

assateague wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:

I bet the instruction booklet was still inside.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:46 pm

That could be a definite possibility. All we did was pull the packing off, load it up, and plug it in. Holy hell, that was almost 10 years ago- I'm gonna call my friend and tell him the cold case could be solved.
assateague

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:19 pm

have you ever seen escanaba in da moonlight? Cause that's how I'm visualizing this
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:42 pm

jehler wrote:have you ever seen escanaba in da moonlight? Cause that's how I'm visualizing this

No I haven't. It was a great time, in retrospect, though.

It went something like this. (remember, we were very hungry and hungover)

Buddy: "Motherfucker. MOTHERFUCKER. GODDAMMIT I'M FUCKING HUNGRY"
Buddy's dad: (grumbling while grabbing a towel from the front porch) "Good fucking idea Steve, at least we didn't use the grill like EVERY OTHER FUCKING TIME WE COME UP HERE"
Me: (chuckling, standing half in door, half on porch, trying to light cigarette while being jostled)
Other Buddy: "Just put it out"
Buddy: "Fuck you Tom, I'm trying to"
Other Buddy: (throws empty frying pan, which was hanging on a hook in the wall, at the blaze) "You're not doing shit but looking at it".
Buddy's dad: "TOM KNOCK IT THE FUCK OFF" (while trying to put a towel over the fire, which is pretty much smaller than the fire by a factor of about 3)
Me: (cigarette lit, move into living room half, and sit on coffee table, still chuckling)
Other Buddy: (grabs quilt off of one of the bunks) "Move. That fucking towel is too small" (drops quilt on fire and proceeds to beat the hell out of quilt/counter area)
Buddy: (now yelling at his dad over the "should've used the grill" comment)
Buddy's dad: (arguing back, as they both claim that neither one wanted to bring the rotisserie, which everyone in the room knows is bullshit)
Other buddy: (walks quickly out front door and throws quilt and smoking heap of rotisserie in front yard area, kicks over to the hand pump, and begins pumping water on it, although nobody is very sure why he's doing that at this stage in the game)
Me: (Have now found a leftover cup of cold coffee on an end table to enjoy with my smoke)
Buddy's dad's friend who wasn't drinking the night before: (walks into cabin) "Oh, Jesus Christ, open the fucking windows. What did you guys do?"
Buddy: "The stupid rotisserie my dad wanted to cook in burned the cabin down"
Buddy's dad: "Shut up with your bullshit, I said use the grill"
Me: "The cabin's not burned down"

Then it just degenerated into ome grumbling and shuffling around to find something to eat, then we took a nap, woke up,m went fishing some more while sipping brandy, came back to the cabin, cooked some trout (on the grill), and started drinking bourbon playing cards again. We've all been friends for about 25 years, and it's good times. I love those trips but that's why I can only go up there about once a year. It's hard on the psyche.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:29 am

Seriously loling at this. Good stuff, good stuff.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:41 pm

assateague wrote:
jehler wrote:have you ever seen escanaba in da moonlight? Cause that's how I'm visualizing this

No I haven't. It was a great time, in retrospect, though.

It went something like this. (remember, we were very hungry and hungover)

Buddy: "Motherfucker. MOTHERFUCKER. GODDAMMIT I'M FUCKING HUNGRY"
Buddy's dad: (grumbling while grabbing a towel from the front porch) "Good fucking idea Steve, at least we didn't use the grill like EVERY OTHER FUCKING TIME WE COME UP HERE"
Me: (chuckling, standing half in door, half on porch, trying to light cigarette while being jostled)
Other Buddy: "Just put it out"
Buddy: "Fuck you Tom, I'm trying to"
Other Buddy: (throws empty frying pan, which was hanging on a hook in the wall, at the blaze) "You're not doing shit but looking at it".
Buddy's dad: "TOM KNOCK IT THE FUCK OFF" (while trying to put a towel over the fire, which is pretty much smaller than the fire by a factor of about 3)
Me: (cigarette lit, move into living room half, and sit on coffee table, still chuckling)
Other Buddy: (grabs quilt off of one of the bunks) "Move. That fucking towel is too small" (drops quilt on fire and proceeds to beat the hell out of quilt/counter area)
Buddy: (now yelling at his dad over the "should've used the grill" comment)
Buddy's dad: (arguing back, as they both claim that neither one wanted to bring the rotisserie, which everyone in the room knows is bullshit)
Other buddy: (walks quickly out front door and throws quilt and smoking heap of rotisserie in front yard area, kicks over to the hand pump, and begins pumping water on it, although nobody is very sure why he's doing that at this stage in the game)
Me: (Have now found a leftover cup of cold coffee on an end table to enjoy with my smoke)
Buddy's dad's friend who wasn't drinking the night before: (walks into cabin) "Oh, Jesus Christ, open the fucking windows. What did you guys do?"
Buddy: "The stupid rotisserie my dad wanted to cook in burned the cabin down"
Buddy's dad: "Shut up with your bullshit, I said use the grill"
Me: "The cabin's not burned down"

Then it just degenerated into ome grumbling and shuffling around to find something to eat, then we took a nap, woke up,m went fishing some more while sipping brandy, came back to the cabin, cooked some trout (on the grill), and started drinking bourbon playing cards again. We've all been friends for about 25 years, and it's good times. I love those trips but that's why I can only go up there about once a year. It's hard on the psyche.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: fuckers had to have had all the paperwork still in it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:18 pm
huntall6 wrote:MT is right.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:34 pm

Please try and keep on topic. Don't make me have to close this thread!
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Ok, to get partly back on topic...
When you pick a duck and can't get all the down and feathers off. Melt some parafin wax, brush it onto the duck a few coats, let it harden, then peel.
Do this before you gut the duck and be careful to get every bitty bit of wax off or the bird tastes waxy.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:15 pm

Waxed ducks look like they came from a store or commercial producer.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to Kitchen & Game Recipes Forum