Jerky questions

Post up all your game recipes!

Jerky questions

Postby Goldfish » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:00 pm

When I looked at my jerky spice mix, it said to freeze your wild game for 60 days to kill any bad stuff before making jerky (presumably because you don't really cook the meat). Have you heard this before and do you do anything like that?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Re: Jerky questions

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:05 pm

Have never done that or heard of it. Might be worth looking into.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby BrewGUN » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Hmm, I know a lot of nasty stuff can survive deep freezing. That's what the punk cure stuff and salt is for. What kind of meat are you using that your that worried about bad stuff?
BrewGUN

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:54 pm

We always just try and get the heat up for about 5 min after an hour or so of smoking.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:57 pm

30 days here.
assateague

Postby capt1972 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:08 pm

pink salt!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:10 pm

No way, once something has been froze for 60 days it's borderline freezer Burnt and inedible
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:00 pm

jehler wrote:No way, once something has been froze for 60 days it's borderline freezer Burnt and inedible

Haha. Hes on the cough syrup and probably won't catch this gem.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:35 am

Divers and venison, so I'm not overly worried about it. That's just the first time I've heard of that, but this will be my first time trying to make jerky so figured I'd ask.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:14 am

Goldfish wrote:Divers and venison, so I'm not overly worried about it. That's just the first time I've heard of that, but this will be my first time trying to make jerky so figured I'd ask.

I partially freeze mine so they slice easy but I don't freeze any longer than that. Grinder jerky should be illegal if you ask me so no idea on that side of it.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:23 am

Goldfish wrote:Divers and venison, so I'm not overly worried about it. That's just the first time I've heard of that, but this will be my first time trying to make jerky so figured I'd ask.

no need to freeze. hell i've eaten nearly raw duck jerky before when i cut it too thick and was totally fine.
Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:18 pm
huntall6 wrote:MT is right.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:

I partially freeze mine so they slice easy but I don't freeze any longer than that. Grinder jerky should be illegal if you ask me so no idea on that side of it.

x2 on both of those. Since discovering the sous vides(spelling?) cooking method, I've quit making jerky with birds. I just about only make jerky with hog and deer trimmings.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby aunt betty » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:00 pm

Freezing don't kill the bad critters, salt, cure, and low moisture content does.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby assateague » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:11 pm

Actually, freezing does kill quite a bit, at least any parasites. The cure simply prevents it from further decomposing. It doesn't kill anything, to the best of my knowledge.

Raw meats can be contaminated with microorganisms that cause disease. These harmful bacteria can easily multiply on moist, high protein foods like meat and poultry and can cause illness if the products are not handled correctly. If pork or wild game is used to make jerky, the meat should be treated to kill the trichinella parasite before it is sliced and marinated. This parasite causes the disease trichinosis. To treat the meat, freeze a portion that is 6 inches or less thick at 0ºF or below for at least 30 days. Freezing will not eliminate bacteria from the meat.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/dry/jerky.html
assateague

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:03 pm

salt is antimicrobial, so (I hate to say this...) Betty is right. the reason the meat doesn't decompose is because nothing can survive in properly cured meat to break it down.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby assateague » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:34 pm

You realize of course that properly cured meat grows mold, right? You can just scrape it off, but if you think a cured hunk of meat is some sort of sterile environment, you're nuts.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:08 pm

assateague wrote:You realize of course that properly cured meat grows mold, right? You can just scrape it off, but if you think a cured hunk of meat is some sort of sterile environment, you're nuts.

Does it apply to grizzlies, Jim?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:10 pm

Only if they were killed with a load of 7.5
assateague

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:21 pm

(MT)Montanafowler wrote:salt is antimicrobial, so (I hate to say this...) Betty is right. the reason the meat doesn't decompose is because nothing can survive in properly cured meat to break it down.

You realize this isn't exactly a "ringing endorsement"...
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:59 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
(MT)Montanafowler wrote:salt is antimicrobial, so (I hate to say this...) Betty is right. the reason the meat doesn't decompose is because nothing can survive in properly cured meat to break it down.

You realize this isn't exactly a "ringing endorsement"...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:53 am

assateague wrote:You realize of course that properly cured meat grows mold, right? You can just scrape it off, but if you think a cured hunk of meat is some sort of sterile environment, you're nuts.

the inside of it is, but yeah the outside isn't.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:03 pm

(MT)Montanafowler wrote:

Kind of like cheese?
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:19 pm

(MT)Montanafowler wrote:

Well, if it's properly cured, then the outside is the same as the inside. If it'll grow on the outside, it'll grow on the inside, too. It's only a temporary stopgap, to extend the life a bit- there's nothing sterile or permanent about it.
assateague

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:06 pm

assateague wrote:Well, if it's properly cured, then the outside is the same as the inside. If it'll grow on the outside, it'll grow on the inside, too. It's only a temporary stopgap, to extend the life a bit- there's nothing sterile or permanent about it.

would the salt content differ when it's further into the meat? maybe capillary action has something to do with it. if it's not sterile, how do they age hams for years at a time without them rotting?

the way i understand it is that the only way something can break down is if the microbes are present to do so. since cured meat isn't decomposing, it seems to indicate that the microbes can't exist there.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:13 pm

(MT)Montanafowler wrote:
assateague wrote:Well, if it's properly cured, then the outside is the same as the inside. If it'll grow on the outside, it'll grow on the inside, too. It's only a temporary stopgap, to extend the life a bit- there's nothing sterile or permanent about it.

would the salt content differ when it's further into the meat? maybe capillary action has something to do with it. if it's not sterile, how do they age hams for years at a time without them rotting?

the way i understand it is that the only way something can break down is if the microbes are present to do so. since cured meat isn't decomposing, it seems to indicate that the microbes can't exist there.

He said the cure stops the decompisition(rotting) but does not prevent parasites/bugs/bacteria/etc, dammit man!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:55 pm

After dehydrating I store my jerky in the freezer. No mold, maggots, etc.
Just reach into the freezer, grab a few pieces, and nom nom nom but Milo HAS to have his cut. Yes, I feed my dog jerky. Its like bacon, he gets some of that too.

I just never could eat goodies in front of my pup and not share. Not sure but I think he will kill to protect "jerky guy" aka: master.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:58 pm

I get an emotion called anger when I see how much the store wants for their nasty, inferior jerky" products". Reading the label makes me see RED.
aunt betty

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:06 pm

Anybody ever done jerky in a UDS? Got a big ole Canada yesterday and wana try to make jerky. I have a theory that I may try.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:17 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:Anybody ever done jerky in a UDS? Got a big ole Canada yesterday and wana try to make jerky. I have a theory that I may try.

I've inly used a dehydrator, but a Canada makes some of the best jerky.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:20 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:Anybody ever done jerky in a UDS? Got a big ole Canada yesterday and wana try to make jerky. I have a theory that I may try.

I've inly used a dehydrator, but a Canada makes some of the best jerky.

What temperature do you have to get to for "cold " smoking? I think if I insulated the top of the drum and then put a dome lid over that I could smoke it at a pretty cool temp.
FlintRiverFowler

Next

Return to Kitchen & Game Recipes Forum