Basic white roux soup

Post up all your game recipes!

Basic white roux soup

Postby Mornin Beef » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:59 pm

I love cooking soups. here is a basic recipe that can include duck. once you learn the basic technique, you can put what ingredients you like.

2 bay leafs
salt
pepper
cayenne
worschester sauce
tobasco
Oil
thyme
flour
four duck breasts for ease (I use legs too cuz I dont give a fuct)
four carrots sliced
four celery and the top leafs off the whole bunch sliced
one green bell chopped
one yellow bell chopped
one orange bell chopped
one red bell sliced
bacon only if your duck breast is spoon, diver, or grebe
whole garlic minced
3 hot peppers to taste chopped
Some others greens, like beet tops, spinch etc
one can of rotel or other crushed tomato of similiar size to rotel
duck stock if you got it, or chicken stock about one carton (30 oz+)

Lets treat this like everyone has a freezer full of grebes and coots for the bacon's sake.

Put a light coat of oil and fry bacon off til done (Crispy! we want some burnt ends left over),
Eat the bacon.
On med high heat brown the duck cubes in grease, remove and cover.

add more oil for the accommodation of onions, celery, carrots and celery tops to cook med high without sticking. the veggies will release steam watch out. Cook til onions begin translucence.
Add thyme, bay, pepper, cayebee, lil worchester, lil tobasco and continue cooking on high heat NO SALT.

Add bell peppers, hot peppers, duck, garlic and more oil to allow med high cooking.

You want the level of oil right at that level of not letting anything burn whilst stirring often.

When you feel everything is nicely cookdown and things are beginning to stick a bit add rotel. Stir it in like a true keebler on a batch of cookie dough.

estimate in your head how much bacon and oil is in the mix (Approx 3/4 cup at this pt). add a touch less flour to this. turn the heat down a bit and stir constantly. It should all most seize up. YOu need to work this almost dough with your wooden spoon to cook off the raw flavor of the flour properly.

Everything should want to stick at this point (not burn). Slowly add your stock in triple shots whilst stirring. Continue this to a consistency of 7/10 clam chowder. If you know what Im talking about. Add additional greens like kale, beet tops, or collards.

Cover and simmer on low low heat to let it all jam for at least 60 min. Season with worschster, tobasco as needed.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Re: Basic white roux soup

Postby Gr8white » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:26 pm

Sounds great, but I'm not gonna lie. If I can't cook it on a grill, in a crock pot, or eat it raw it's out of my league. To give you an idea of my skill level, my spices would be salt, pepper, red pepper, potatoes, and bacon, lol
Gr8white

Postby Mornin Beef » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Gr8white wrote:Sounds great, but I'm not gonna lie. If I can't cook it on a grill, in a crock pot, or eat it raw it's out of my league. To give you an idea of my skill level, my spices would be salt, pepper, red pepper, potatoes, and bacon, lol

You dont even need the spices. Soups are the best. Just making a stock is fun. If you can put together an effort to get out of bed you can make a stock. A stock is fun because it costs noting to make and only stretches your dollar.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Gr8white » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Not that I haven't had some great tasting soups, just never really cared for them much. I think it has to do with the fact that growing up soup was on the menu A LOT (stretching the dollar). I can eat a shit ton of a NE clam chowder and a cream of crab or crib bisque though.
Gr8white

Postby Mornin Beef » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:14 pm

Gr8white wrote:Not that I haven't had some great tasting soups, just never really cared for them much. I think it has to do with the fact that growing up soup was on the menu A LOT (stretching the dollar). I can eat a shit ton of a NE clam chowder and a cream of crab or crib bisque though.

One of the reasons I love a good soup is becasuse of tradition. I learned borscht and ate borscht from my immigrant ukraine orphan grandma. It is very true though as you explain; pysch influences tastes/preferences
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Goldfish » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:bacon only if your duck breast is spoon, diver, or grebe

:lol: I don't know if that is serious, as you can't shoot them here, but it made me laugh
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Return to Kitchen & Game Recipes Forum