Fry daddy rules

Post up all your game recipes!

Fry daddy rules

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:23 pm

We use lard in ours.
Call that a rule.
If you're frying ...lard is the way to go imo.
Rule 2 might be debatable I'm open to that.
If you fry fish it's time to change the grease in the fry daddy .
True or false?
I'm not exactly sure but I do not want my chicken tasting like fish. :lol:
Ricky Spanish

Re: Fry daddy rules

Postby Deltaman » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:23 am

I typically use peanut oil for frying, and never use the same oil twice. My neighbor bought a gas cajun fryer with two baskets, and the element is several inches above the bottom. It holds 3 gallons of oil, and the crumbs that fall to the bottom do not burn. Damn thing is great when cooking for a crowd, and can cook 20+ times before he has to change the oil. I did buy some lard after seeing you mention it on here, but have yet to try it.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Anotherone » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:13 am

LOU ANA southern fry oil for all deep frying and use it once. But I agree with lard, especially when deep frying chicken.
Anotherone

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:21 pm

Ya'll need to find the story ...legend...whatever.
A southern diner NEVER changed their lard.
They'd strain it and add more.
Ever run a bank of fryers in a cafeteria?
You'd run the place out of business changing fryer grease.
The million dollar grease: that diner was forced to move .
They insured their fryer grease for one million dollars because you can't replace 100 year old fryer grease.
Weird story but it's out there.
The million dollar fryer ....

To do it here you're tossing 8 bucks worth of lard each time you dump the fry daddy. She made walleye IN THE FRYDADDY. I HAD TO EXPLAIN why to not do that use my skillet and fresh lard then toss that.
The FRYDADDY is a no fish zone
Ricky Spanish

Postby Darren » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:14 pm

Have never used lard but gone through my share of vegetable oil which is my go-to for frying fish......and yep, only one use mostly.
Darren

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:18 pm

Darren wrote:Have never used lard but gone through my share of vegetable oil which is my go-to for frying fish......and yep, only one use mostly.

Lard vs vegetable oil:
I was clueless but knew that my grandmother's fried chicken made mom's look amateurish.
Was just better.
Took me decades of trying to duplicate it to discover the secret. Our mothers bought into the "lard gives you heart attacks" science.
I'm not so sure.
When they're using science to sell a product nine times out if ten it's really bad science.
Once we tried lard...vegetable oil goes on salad. :lol:
The Mexicans call it Manteca
Ricky Spanish

Postby Darren » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:28 pm

Ricky Spanish wrote:
Darren wrote:Have never used lard but gone through my share of vegetable oil which is my go-to for frying fish......and yep, only one use mostly.

Lard vs vegetable oil:
I was clueless but knew that my grandmother's fried chicken made mom's look amateurish.
Was just better.
Took me decades of trying to duplicate it to discover the secret. Our mothers bought into the "lard gives you heart attacks" science.
I'm not so sure.
When they're using science to sell a product nine times out if ten it's really bad science.

Tried my hand at fried chicken late last year and was really pleased with the results, and (facetiously) thought to myself briefly that "hell, with this product I could put Popeyes out of business" just because I was so pleased with how the batter came out. Recipe called for some bacon grease to be included to the veg oil, but suspect lard would meet that and then some in flavor.
Darren

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:58 am

Darren wrote:
Ricky Spanish wrote:

Lard vs vegetable oil:
Was just better.
I'm not so sure.

Tried my hand at fried chicken late last year and was really pleased with the results, and (facetiously) thought to myself briefly that "hell, with this product I could put Popeyes out of business" just because I was so pleased with how the batter came out. Recipe called for some bacon grease to be included to the veg oil, but suspect lard would meet that and then some in flavor.

The very first use of lard has a weird taste that goes away with further use. When you fry a chicken in lard it changes color and is golden when solidified.
It gets better and better.
Finding someone online with an open mind is rare.
I think you'll try it and like it
I really tried hard to make grannies fried chicken with vegetable oil. It's just not possible.
That's why you don't toss the lard until she uses it for fish.imo. This is just an opinion however.

Hey you got frying things down. That picture of all thet good fried food...I'd eat it and not say anything about which type of oil it was fried in.
The best fried fish I've ever had was cooked in a portable fryer st rainy brake wma in Arkansas.
Southern guys and fried food
If it's offered I'm saying hell yes.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:45 pm

That's our fryer.
It has a basket that's stowed in a cabinet.
We keep it filled with lard and store it like that.
Might not work in the south.
16770950984833118379127082985683.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Return to Kitchen & Game Recipes Forum