Gonna buy a Bow!

Gonna buy a Bow!

Postby Olly » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:29 am

I'm so green to archery that I've only shot a bow a handfull of times in my life and never been bow hunting. Time to learn, I'm going to be buying a bow within the next few months what are the basics when buying a bow?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Re: Gonna buy a Bow!

Postby capt1972 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:35 am

Go to a good bow shop. It doesn't matter if it is a hoyt, pse ect.... kinda a ford, chevy thing. just go to a good shop, they will measure your draw length, let you try out different bows and set you up right.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:07 am

Capt got it. A good shop will let you shoot any bow you want. Just a word of warning don't try a bow out of your price rage or you will be leaving with it. The 600-1000 bows are as smooth and quiet as they come. Parallel limbs are the cats ass too.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:57 am

Nonsense. Get them to measure your draw length, find out what poundage you're comfortable with, then eBay that bitch. You can get a 2 year old, $1,100 package for $450.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Shooting a now is as addictive as duck hunting watch out olly.

On the upside they are not registered with the govt, and deadly quiet.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:03 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Shooting a now is as addictive as duck hunting watch out olly.

I shot my buddies before this past season and was instantly hooked. I had never really shot a bow before that because I'm left handed and you don't run across people that shoot lefty bows often.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jehler » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Don't buy a cheap bow, don't be afraid to spend a grand to get something smooth and quiet
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:20 pm

Olly wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:Shooting a now is as addictive as duck hunting watch out olly.

I shot my buddies before this past season and was instantly hooked. I had never really shot a bow before that because I'm left handed and you don't run across people that shoot lefty bows often.

I was basically in the same boat, I shot my buddies bow for a year while he was deployed. I was instantly hooked and went and bought my own before he got back. I ended spending about 1400 bucks, upper end all the way, and do not regret starting out with all quality stuff.
Make sure you get sights with the micro adjustment dial and the smaller pin size and you will be in business.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:29 pm

Good bow with good sites and its like shooting a rifle
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:34 pm

But don't ask John about Mathews
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:57 pm

Ha, I have shot mathews and like them, just would never own one, local dealer is a prick and most guys that own them are also. Never shot a Mathews that was as smooth as a good bowtech
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:31 pm

I've never shot a bowtech but every Matthews I have shot is smoother than I expect out of a stick and string.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:44 pm

jehler wrote:Ha, I have shot mathews and like them, just would never own one, local dealer is a prick and most guys that own them are also. Never shot a Mathews that was as smooth as a good bowtech

I can be a prick sometimes too, guess that's why the Mathews felt right.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:52 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:I've never shot a bowtech but every Matthews I have shot is smoother than I expect out of a stick and string.

I you've never shot a bowtech don't, you'll need it
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:16 pm

assateague wrote:Nonsense. Get them to measure your draw length, find out what poundage you're comfortable with, then eBay that bitch. You can get a 2 year old, $1,100 package for $450.

Pawn Shops are the way to go for bows. I saw a Mathews with a $200 sight and a $150 rest for $300. I didnt have the money at the time or I would have bought it just for the sight and rest.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:16 pm

Love my bowtech but I'd avoid any bow with dual cams. The draw curve is a lot harsher than a single cam. Don't get too caught up with speed they all run close enough now days. Quiet kills and an easy draw will save your ass especially on cold days. 60lb bow is all you really need.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:43 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
assateague wrote:Nonsense. Get them to measure your draw length, find out what poundage you're comfortable with, then eBay that bitch. You can get a 2 year old, $1,100 package for $450.

Pawn Shops are the way to go for bows. I saw a Mathews with a $200 sight and a $150 rest for $300. I didnt have the money at the time or I would have bought it just for the sight and rest.

Yep, pawn shops or ebay, that way you know they never been dry fired or anything
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:55 pm

And if you do decide to go used make sure you look the limbs over real good for any kind of hairline crack. A broken limb can make a real big mess.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:47 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Love my bowtech but I'd avoid any bow with dual cams. The draw curve is a lot harsher than a single cam. Don't get too caught up with speed they all run close enough now days. Quiet kills and an easy draw will save your ass especially on cold days. 60lb bow is all you really need.

X2. Dual cams are a gimmick.
assateague

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:11 pm

Dual cams have their advantages. But they get out of tune all the time and are just an all around PIA. Like others said, go get measured up and shoot a bunch. You'll find one you'll like. Longer brace height will be easier/smoother on the draw but won't be as accurate out to longer ranges (40 yards +). Get a good, solid release. I've seen the cheaper ones break while drawing. Other than that, once you get setup, its easy as pie. And really fun. Just don't shoot all your arrows at the exact same spot every time. You'll end up breaking a few and you'll figure out that arrows are really expensive after a while...
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Well, start shooting different dots after you get your first robin hood.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby obxbufflehead » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:04 pm

jehler wrote:Ha, I have shot mathews and like them, just would never own one, local dealer is a prick and most guys that own them are also. Never shot a Mathews that was as smooth as a good bowtech

You saying I'm a prick then.

Oh and like everyone else has said shoot as many as you can and you'll find one you like. I just happened to like the Mathews. Shoots well for me and that's what I need.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362272659.909625.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby obxbufflehead » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:05 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Well, start shooting different dots after you get your first robin hood.

It gets expensive fast if you don't.
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:08 pm

Banks - is that a blue monkey tail on your string? Never seen them in anything but black.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby obxbufflehead » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:56 am

3legged_lab wrote:Banks - is that a blue monkey tail on your string? Never seen them in anything but black.

Yup. All blue damping stuff. Just got them. They make them in a bunch of colors. Bright green, pink, red, orange, blue, yellow, purple, and a few more I can't think of off the top of my head.
obxbufflehead

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:44 pm

Whenever I get around to buying a new string, im gonna go ahead and get all the other little things in red too.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby bill herian » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:47 pm

Mathews guys are all douchepackers.

I shoot an outback.

These days, its pert near impossible to buy a "bad bow". Even if you buy a bow that dosent "fit you" correctly, you will get used to it and shoot it well. I never understand all this talk of "fitting" shotguns and bows. If its all you got, and you practice with it, you will learn to shoot it well.

I didn't shoot any gun or bow that I own before I bought them (havent made a purchase in over 6 years) and I shoot them all fine.
bill herian

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:14 am

Easy Beel,I shoot a Mathews. I don't know much about bows, but I had a pse that my dad got me when I wasa young teenager and it was an okay bow. Never came close to comparing to the Mathews I have now. I tried shooting several at different shops before buying and the Mathews was hands down the best IMO, but the pse and Mathews are the only 2 compunds I have actually used. I use a recurve and the pse for bow fishing since getting the Mathews.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Tomkat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:27 am

This is exactly why I have avoided bow hunting. I can see it as just as bad as waterfowl hunting, and I am all ready addicted to that.

I admire those who do it, but I have to stick with my current 47 hobbies and interests. :D

BTW ManlyMan was over here last year shooting a high end bow for my viewing pleasure. It was most impressive, he can hit a quarter at 30 yards. As you can imagine, he had all the bells and whistles on it.
Tomkat

Postby bill herian » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:05 am

rebelp74 wrote:Easy Beel,I shoot a Mathews.

I do too. Outback is getting to be an older model these days.
bill herian

Next

Return to Archery Forum