Figuring it out

Figuring it out

Postby Olly » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:02 am

25 yds. I know that's not far but I'm happy so far.

uploadfromtaptalk1367161322935.jpg

Sent from my phone.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Re: Figuring it out

Postby assateague » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:36 am

Until there's a deer on the receiving end. Then you're gonna fall to pieces, trying to figure out how you're supposed to move and draw :lol:
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:49 am

That's good Olly, its all just repetion right now. Get that muscle memory down and when there's a deer in front of you it'll be "just another target". That's how it was for me at least. Shot my deer and don't even remember going through the motions. Then after the shot my knees went to jello.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:13 pm

assateague wrote:Until there's a deer on the receiving end. Then you're gonna fall to pieces, trying to figure out how you're supposed to move and draw :lol:

Yup, shot plenty of deer with a rifle to the point I don't really care. But when I drew on my first deer I felt like I was gonna stroke out in the tree.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:58 pm

3legged_lab wrote:That's good Olly, its all just repetion right now. Get that muscle memory down and when there's a deer in front of you it'll be "just another target". That's how it was for me at least. Shot my deer and don't even remember going through the motions. Then after the shot my knees went to jello.

This is what I'm working in most. It's cool to see the arrows go where I want them but I'm striving for repetition the most. Picking up some tricks from friends helps. Made a little kisser button out of some dental floss as helped me a ton.

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby bill herian » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:02 pm

I'm the same way tripod. I usually keep my composure pretty good until the shot. Then I completley and utterly loose my shit. Not quite Stan Potts type stuff, but the jelly knees for sure.

FS is right too. I never get the same feeling with a rifle as I do with the bow. I can watch a good buck in the crosshairs no problem, but if that same buck is coming my way archery hunting, oh boy. I enjoy waterfowling a lot, but nothing that's ever happened in the blind has given me the rush that I get from getting close to good bucks. The guys who say its like shooting cows don't bowhunt and don't hunt big deer, and in that sense, they are right.

Olly - Make sure to practice shooting at wierd angles too. Maybe its not the best thing to do this early, but before you hit the field for sure. When theres a live animal involved, you never get that shot that you practiced ten thousand times.
bill herian

Postby assateague » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Stand on a 5 gallon bucket and shoot. That's how I practice most of the time. Works on your balance and mechanics. If you can't smoothly draw and shoot from an upside down bucket, you're pulling too much weight.
assateague

Postby Olly » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:38 pm

bill herian wrote:
Olly - Make sure to practice shooting at wierd angles too. Maybe its not the best thing to do this early, but before you hit the field for sure. When theres a live animal involved, you never get that shot that you practiced ten thousand times.

Good advice, I had already planned on setting up my tree stand and practicing shooting from it later on.

assateague wrote:Stand on a 5 gallon bucket and shoot. That's how I practice most of the time. Works on your balance and mechanics. If you can't smoothly draw and shoot from an upside down bucket, you're pulling too much weight.

Good advice, I will try this one soon.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:00 pm

Also try sitting on the ground cross-legged, like you are under a tree, it makes pulling that bow fell totally different.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:06 pm

You're not kidding. When I got to AZ, by step-brother made me practice shooting from a knee, and also set up to shoot out to 70 yards. Shooting at 70 was far, FAR easier than shooting from a knee. That shit is hard.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:29 pm

If your planning on hunting out of a tree make sure you do a lot of shooting from up there. It's a lot different than standing on the ground. A good deer target wouldn't be a bad idea either. That way you can practice your angle shots and see what vitals you would hit.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby bill herian » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:59 pm

assateague wrote:Stand on a 5 gallon bucket and shoot. That's how I practice most of the time. Works on your balance and mechanics. If you can't smoothly draw and shoot from an upside down bucket, you're pulling too much weight.

Never thought of that, buts its a good idea. Might take it one step further and buy a bounce house.
bill herian

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Pffft, if you were really good you could draw your bow and call the emu with the bucket at the same time.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:47 am

It's way easier to shoot from two knees than trying to balance on one.

I want to see that group at 50 yards by the end of summer!
Bulldog0156

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:50 am

Bulldog0156 wrote:It's way easier to shoot from two knees than trying to balance on one.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't even want to know.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:31 pm

If you're just starting out, worry more about your form than your groupings. You need someone that has an extensive background in archery, to watch you shoot and give you critiques. Once you're solid on form than you work on the bows mechanics and tuning your setup. Last you worry about grouping.
If you learn to shoot with poor form, it will be very difficult to reteach yourself correctly. The kiss button is a great way to solidify your anchor point. That was definitely good advice and a good choice for you to make. Also, if you use a peep on your string, it will force you to go to the same point on your draw, if it is setup right.
If you can pull your bow back, sitting flat on your ass, without holding the bow above your head, then you are not over bowed. Try it once and see.
As for the tuning the bow, you'll realize how in tune or, out of tune, your bow is when you put broadheads on for the first time. :thumbsup:
QH's Paw

Postby jehler » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:21 pm

Solid advice above, another trick that helped jr greatly was after he was solid at 10, 20, 30 and 40 yard shots we would go waking with a 10" cube target, I would throw and he would shoot forcing him to guess range, after he shot I would laser it and tell him, great way to learn your ranges and get a feel for the area between your pins
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:02 pm

That's good practice too. I will admit I am pretty useless without my range finder.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:08 pm

Piles of corn set at specific distances make a excellent range finder
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:18 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Piles of corn set at specific distances make a excellent range finder

Yep.
assateague

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:08 pm

You know what else works well for shots at unknown distances out to 50yards??

A rifle.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby AKPirate » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:32 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:You know what else works well for shots at unknown distances out to 50yards??

Exploding arrows.

FIFY
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Wed May 01, 2013 5:45 am

:lol:
assateague

Postby Olly » Thu May 02, 2013 7:11 pm

Yay! Just had to learn how to tie a D loop. Also there is a field tip that will forever be in the side of my house :lol:
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Thu May 02, 2013 7:30 pm

:lol:
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu May 02, 2013 8:08 pm

Olly wrote: there is a field tip that will forever be in the side of my house :lol:

It happens
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu May 02, 2013 8:14 pm

AKPirate wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:You know what else works well for shots at unknown distances out to 50yards??

Exploding arrows.

FIFY

Damn It! How in the hell is an exploding arrow going to increase your range?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby jehler » Thu May 02, 2013 8:15 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
AKPirate wrote:

Exploding arrows.

FIFY

your so ignorant
Read in Michael Jackson voice
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu May 02, 2013 8:23 pm

“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Thu May 02, 2013 8:59 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
AKPirate wrote:

Exploding arrows.

FIFY

Shrapnel.
assateague

Next

Return to Archery Forum