Broad heads shooting left of field points?

Broad heads shooting left of field points?

Postby Goldfish » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:33 pm

I an pretty consistent with the field points, can group 4 within just a couple inches at 20yds, but when I throw my broad heads on the same arrows, they are flying anywhere from 4-7 inches left. Any ideas why?

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Re: Broad heads shooting left of field points?

Postby jehler » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:35 pm

Your looking to see where they hit
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Goldfish wrote:I an pretty consistent with the field points, can group 4 within just a couple inches at 20yds, but when I throw my broad heads on the same arrows, they are flying anywhere from 4-7 inches left. Any ideas why?

sent from a phancy fone

I was told it can be caused by a tuning issue. Moving your rest slightly to the right could fix the broadheads without impacting your field points. It was explained to me that broadheads are more apt to "steer" one way or another compared to field points.

Disclaimer: I have only been shooting a bow for 4 years and don't know much about shit with archery
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:04 pm

Goldfish wrote:I an pretty consistent with the field points, can group 4 within just a couple inches at 20yds, but when I throw my broad heads on the same arrows, they are flying anywhere from 4-7 inches left. Any ideas why?

sent from a phancy fone

They're planing. There's not much you can do, actually. Like tripod said, it's in part a tuning issue. Easiest thing would be to shoot a different blade count. 3 blade Muzzys have never flown worth a squat, but 4 blades shoot like field points. I've never had the need to try it, but the big Magnus Stinger 2-blades don't plane nearly as bad, either. Seems counterintuitive, I know, but a lot of people swear by it.

If I had to guess, though, I'd say you're shooting a 3-blade of some sort. They work better with older slower bows. Get a pack of 4-blade 100 grain Muzzys, (NOT the compact Muzzys, the "regular" ones) and I would bet the problem would go away, or be off an inch at most.

If not, I'll buy them from you. I need some new ones this year anyway.
assateague

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:06 pm

assateague wrote:

sent from a phancy fone

They're planing. There's not much you can do, actually. Like tripod said, it's in part a tuning issue. Easiest thing would be to shoot a different blade count. 3 blade Muzzys have never flown worth a squat, but 4 blades shoot like field points. I've never had the need to try it, but the big Magnus Stinger 2-blades don't plane nearly as bad, either. Seems counterintuitive, I know, but a lot of people swear by it.

If I had to guess, though, I'd say you're shooting a 3-blade of some sort. They work better with older slower bows. Get a pack of 4-blade 100 grain Muzzys, (NOT the compact Muzzys, the "regular" ones) and I would bet the problem would go away, or be off an inch at most.

If not, I'll give you no more than 9% of the the last sale price, if you cover shipping for them. I need some new ones this year anyway.

FIFY - Just so Goldie knows what he's getting into.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:14 pm

:lol:

Seriously, Goldie- ill buy them from you full price, never mind what he says. This offer is available for a limited time only.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:01 pm

MECHANICAL!!!!!
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:02 pm

See how many suckers I can catch with that one. :fishing:
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:07 pm

I'm shooting 4 blade muzzy 100 grains actually. It's two blades that come together and slide down in and you screw the tip on over them to be 4 bladed.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:14 pm

Then you're screwed. Don't try the 3 blades, I've seen guys try that and they just corkscrew everywhere.

Have somebody stand behind you and watch while you shoot about 5 of them. See if they're "corkscrewing" or just shooting in the wrong place.

And get rid of that damn whisker biscuit.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:42 pm

Goldfish wrote:I'm shooting 4 blade muzzy 100 grains actually. It's two blades that come together and slide down in and you screw the tip on over them to be 4 bladed.

sent from a phancy fone

Is this the new bow? Have you shot it through paper?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:25 am

I have not shoot it thru paper. What does that do? If the arrow if wobbly the hole won't be prefect round or something?

Yes, new bow.

sent from a phancy fone
Goldfish

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:38 am

Goldfish wrote:I have not shoot it thru paper. What does that do? If the arrow if wobbly the hole won't be prefect round or something?

Yes, new bow.

sent from a phancy fone

Yup
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:32 am

Although really, paper testing won't reveal what you're seeing, Goldie. You said you were hitting to the left. You can look at your arrows in the target and see sort of the same thing that paper testing will show you. If they are all in the target at roughly the same angle, that's not going to help you. There may be a couple of degrees of difference, but shouldn't be much. If they look like you shot from 3 different locations, and maybe different heights, then you need to paper test it to see what needs to move where. But like I said, if they're all stuck in the target at roughly the same angle, paper testing will be a waste of time. Also, if they are all stuck in at a ridiculous angle compared to where you shot from, paper test it. But if your point of impact is the only thing that's off, don't bother.
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:20 am

Tough to say because when I hit off center, my styrofoam block will twist.

I guess my other thought, there was a slight breeze from right to left. Nothing Kansas prairie style, but just enough to make ripples on the pond. Is a broad head going to be affected that much by slight wind from 15yds?

sent from a phancy fone
Goldfish

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:49 am

Brace your block and try again. Cinder blocks, bricks, rocks, really anything to keep it from twisting...
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:53 am

Yep, you need to see the arrow grouping and their angles when they're in the block. Do what FF said, or at the very least, walk down and set the target back again after each arrow. For the record, a corkscrew is worse than an off point of impact. The corkscrew will badly fuck you up based on the distance to the target.
assateague

Postby triplecurl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:05 am

NAP spitfires. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
triplecurl

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:16 am

Stop it.
assateague

Postby triplecurl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:18 am

:lol: :lol:

triplecurl

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:05 pm

triplecurl wrote:NAP spitfires. Problem solved.

:thumbsup: at least there is one other person on this forum with their head on straight.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby capt1972 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:07 pm

aim to the right 4-7". problem solved.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:00 pm

capt1972 wrote:aim to the right 4-7". problem solved.

That sounds like a compromise. Ask Assa about compromises

sent from a phancy fone
Goldfish

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:07 pm

Goldfish wrote:I have not shoot it thru paper. What does that do? If the arrow if wobbly the hole won't be prefect round or something?

Yes, new bow.

sent from a phancy fone

If you shoot thru paper and don't get a bullet hole w/ 3 fletch "cuts" it will tell you something. I shoot a "high tear" on purpose because I was told it will help with tighter groups on a fast bow/stiff arrow combo. A high tear will also mean that broadheads will shoot lower than feild points.

Do some quick google searches on high/low tear and paper tuning. I would be willing to bet if you shot paper right now you'd have a right tear (nock to the right)
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:07 pm

No bueno.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:41 pm

assateague wrote:No bueno.

What?
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:42 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
assateague wrote:Not good.

What?

better?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:24 am

assateague wrote:No bueno.

Hey, I don't speak that mexicanese, and I sure didn't push 2.

I'll have to see what I can do. Might start with blocking my target if I don't just call up the shop I just dropped almost 400 at to ask them about it

sent from a phancy fone
Goldfish

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:58 am

Goldie, if the broadheads are grouping together but just a few inches from the field points then it is a tuning issue. If the broadheads are going all over then it is planing. Your rest or centershot is not correct. Or you are torquing your bow and magnifying the effect with broadheads. Broadheads magnify every imperfection in your equipment and shooting style. Off 3 or 4 inches at 20 yards may as well be 2 feet at 40. Take your bow to a good bow shop and have them tune the bow. Tell them your problems. Take arrows with you and have the spine checked. If they have an indoor range, shoot and have them watch. Make sure you are not torquing the bow, before you draw, as you draw, and after you release. Paper tuning can be helpful, but you will probably find your problem without it. Also, you may have to try a different broadhead. Sometimes they just don't go properly. Muzzies suck with fast bows. I have better luck with Satellite 4 blades out of my bow. Mechanicals are for guys that can't tune a bow or shoot properly. Mechanicals are devastating if they choose to open. They don't always choose to open. :thumbsup:
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:03 am

I think the obvious answer here is Bowmag.

A hit within 6 feet is lethal
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Next

Return to Archery Forum