First Bow

First Bow

Postby gila-river » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:03 am

After not getting drawn again for rifle big game this year I am seriously considering getting a bow. Any input on a good beginner bow? Brand, accessories, etc.? Any way I can test the waters without having to drop a grand with a decent/affordable bow?
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Re: First Bow

Postby assateague » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:05 am

You could get a very good Mathews ready to hunt on eBay for about $350-$500. Look for an Outback or Switchback. Most Bowhunters are like golfers, and feel a constant need to upgrade to the latest greatest, despite only having a season or three on their stuff. And a used Mathews is better than a new anything.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:12 am

Go to a bow shop and shoot a few bows. Get a feel for what you like before doing as assa said
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:35 pm

No, just do what I said.
assateague

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:36 pm

assateague wrote:No, just do what I said.

:lol:
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:54 pm

assateague wrote:No, just do what I said.

Nobody listens to Jim.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:10 pm

Matthews is a good smooth bow. My dad has the switchback. He had some shoulder problems for a year and I used it for a season. Really smooth, fast, and quiet. But it was heavy. The newer bows are quite a bit lighter. Do you have a general price range? These things can be anywhere from $150-$1500. You'll get what you pay for. I'd have no problem talking a 60 yard shot on an elk with my dad's bow at a 55# draw. With my older Mathews I wouldn't feel comfortable past 40 at 60#. Bow technology has come along ways in 10 years.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby bill herian » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:40 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Matthews is a good smooth bow. My dad has the switchback. He had some shoulder problems for a year and I used it for a season. Really smooth, fast, and quiet. But it was heavy. The newer bows are quite a bit lighter. Do you have a general price range? These things can be anywhere from $150-$1500. You'll get what you pay for. I'd have no problem talking a 60 yard shot on an elk with my dad's bow at a 55# draw. With my older Mathews I wouldn't feel comfortable past 40 at 60#. Bow technology has come along ways in 10 years.

If anything I would say the innovation has plateaued in the last ten years, and ol' teauge is spot on. The brand spanking new full page ad bows of today don't perform much better than the bows of a few years ago. If anything I would say they are just trying to make them more goofy looking to catch the eye.

Like anything, the best ones were made when the technology was new and companies needed to fight to stay ahead of the curve. Now that everyone has caught up and established their market share, the quality is actually going to go down.

Just look at trail cameras. The old cuddebacks, the ones that they built their reputation on, were hot spit. The new ones are garbage.
bill herian

Postby bill herian » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:42 pm

And Gila, do it.

I know its the 1000th time I've said it, but I would throw all of my waterfowling stuff, shotgun included, in a fire, right now, if it meant I could go bowhunting elk this fall.
bill herian

Postby hudson » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:20 pm

Check into elite archery.awesome bows with the best warranty on the market
hudson

Postby Goldfish » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:31 am

Look into mission bows as well. It's Matthews' older models, still being made and slapped with "mission by Matthews" on for a name. Got mine all loaded up for under 300.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby sws002 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:08 am

Elite are awesome but you'll pay for it. Another one I'd look at is Strothers, good stuff for the money. You can find some real good deals on used bows and a decent archery tech can make them like new again.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:15 pm

Or you could just go on eBay, get a Switchback ready to hunt for $400
assateague

Return to Archery Forum