Climber stands

Climber stands

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:36 pm

Working on one of mine to use up here in Arkansas. Been awhile since I've used one and was wondering if anybody has any tips I may have forgot about.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Re: Climber stands

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:00 pm

Tie the top to the bottom.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:57 pm

Got that one. :lol:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:51 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Got that one. :lol:

That's all I got. I don't use em.
I like tie on tree steps and hanging stands. I can get up any tree that way with limbs and such.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Climber stands

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:55 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

I like tie on tree steps and hanging stands. I can get up any tree that way with limbs and such.

All I used back home was ladder stands but with hiking in on public land, climbers are the go to choice.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:59 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

All I used back home was ladder stands but with hiking in on public land, climbers are the go to choice.

I've never used a climber but they seem like a PITA to me. I hunt a lot of public and different spots around our property. I usually just hang a stand and take it back down after the hunt. Takes maybe 16-20 min once I get the system down every year. Little bit lighter setup too than a climber for the longer walk in.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Climber stands

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:11 pm

I highly doubt it's lighter unless you got something like a lone wolf and use tree steps instead of sticks. Climbers are self contained and super easy to set up/take down.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Goldfish » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:14 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I've never used a climber but they seem like a PITA to me. I hunt a lot of public and different spots around our property. I usually just hang a stand and take it back down after the hunt. Takes maybe 16-20 min once I get the system down every year. Little bit lighter setup too than a climber for the longer walk in.

Climbers are a breeze.

Those boat cleats that you run the line left right left right left right thru, if you put that on one side you can run a rope around the tree for extra security and it helps to hooks the top and bottom together for transport
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:18 pm

The thing I don't like the most about them is they limit what trees you can climb. The best trees that offer the most cover usually are squirrelly and have a lot of limbs. Those are difficult or impossible with a climber. I hit out of cedar trees a lot and just trip enough to hang a stand and shoot. Basically disappear up there.
Climber have their place, but if you learn how to climb a tree and hang a stand efficiently with tie on steps there isn't a better way IMO.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:23 pm

Goldfish wrote:
Those boat cleats that you run the line left right left right left right thru, if you put that on one side you can run a rope around the tree for extra security and it helps to hooks the top and bottom together for transport

That's the kind of info I was looking for.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:24 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:The thing I don't like the most about them is they limit what trees you can climb. The best trees that offer the most cover usually are squirrelly and have a lot of limbs. Those are difficult or impossible with a climber. I hit out of cedar trees a lot and just trip enough to hang a stand and shoot. Basically disappear up there.
Climber have their place, but if you learn how to climb a tree and hang a stand efficiently with tie on steps there isn't a better way IMO.

I could see that point too.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Capttrae » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:40 pm

I use climbers like lots if folks use Lock Ons. Where I hunt I've got 4, on trees right now and 3 more in a storage unit so quick as I get off work in 27 days I can go hang the rest.
One tip, wear your harness going up and down the tree.
Capttrae

Climber stands

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:21 pm

Here's what I've learned so far through all my searching.
• tie them together
• ratchet strap the seat section to the tree
• stirrups are worth the money
• wear a harness

Interesting mods I've found
• fix an extra quiver bracket to the stand so arrows are out of the way and handy
• twist some night eyes gear ties to it to make moveable hooks for stuff you bring
• get cheap decorative leaves to break the outline up
• add a boat cleat to keep a rope on there so you'll always have a lift rope.

Hopefully that localizes some stuff if anybody stumbles upon this.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:32 pm

Sounds like you got it figured out.
Try and find a old fake Christmas tree. You can paint the branches brown if you aren't around any pines or cedar. They hold up good and you can bend them.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:41 pm

I like that idea too. Also saw one earlier that you hack off the little limbs as you go up and jam them in the floor.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:57 pm

Order the third hand stabilizer straps for $20. Install in seconds, they tie the top and bottom together, cinch tight to make it rock solid at your desire height, and help pack the stand together. Best accessory ever for a climber!
The_Real_TCIII

Return to Archery Forum