Layout blind suggestions?

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Postby IndianaYakFish » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:00 pm

I've got access to some fields in my area and plan on buying a layout blind for next season, if not sooner. Suggestions on brands/models to look at or stay away from? I'm 6' and 250 lbs if that helps. Looking for something that is easy to set up, roomy and won't break the bank. But I have no idea what I should be looking for, so help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.
-Jameson
"I intend to learn to call waterfowl even if in the process I offend every ear in the country—and I just might."—Gene Hill
IndianaYakFish

Re: Layout blind suggestions?

Postby sws002 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:50 pm

Watch your local classifieds/Craigslist, can usually find a deal or two on there. I am also a big guy and I use a Tanglefree Dead Zone that Cabelas had a hell of a deal on a few years back. I would look for something with a frame, especially on the doors. It makes for a larger profile but they are much easier to stubble. I have an Avery Power Hunter for walk-in hunts and absolute must have low profile situations, but it is a spare any other time. You will likely find some good deals on FA Eliminators, avoid them like the plague, trust me on this one.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:36 am

Good advice above.

I have a Finisher that I chopped the frame on to make it lower profile.
I won an Eliminator at a DU event and threw it in a dodger after 2-3 hunts
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:44 am

I'm 6'5" 220lbs and I have a Cabelas layout I forgot the name but it's the deluxe model and is waterproof up to 10" of water. Plenty of room in there for me.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby sws002 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:07 am

I had the Cabelas Mobil 1 as well, and it would work in a pinch for a blind on a budget. Only thing I didn't like about it was the no frame doors, because after a couple times in and out of your blind, all your stubble comes off. Avery Finisher is probably the one you are most likely to come across used as there are a ton of them out there. Another thing I forgot to add, is if at all possible, get khaki. If it is an option DO NOT pay the extra money for camo, because you are either going to mud or spray paint it anyway, not to mention you still need to stubble your blind to match your hunt. All of my blinds are either purchased khaki, or they get a HEAVY dose of khaki spray paint to dull down the camo.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby IndianaYakFish » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:10 am

Once season closes, I assume there will be some sales going on. Thanks for the help guys!
-Jameson
"I intend to learn to call waterfowl even if in the process I offend every ear in the country—and I just might."—Gene Hill
IndianaYakFish

Postby firstflight » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:44 pm

I am 6'5'' 300 lbs I like my Avery power hunter . Very low profile I hunt in people's back yards in cut lawn around ponds.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
firstflight

Postby sws002 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:05 pm

How the hell do you fit in it, I'm 5 inches shorter than you and 25 lbs lighter and I fill that thing up.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:01 am

Is it hard to walk while wearing that Power Hunter??

I'm imagining you chasing cripples like a fat kid in a gunny sack race at the church potluck
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby sws002 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:47 am

Very much so. I'll video it next time, just for you Dan.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby IndianaYakFish » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:45 am

I climbed into a Power Hunter that was on display at our local Gander Mountain a few years ago. Felt like a hippo in a bathtub. Lol! I did own a FA SUB a couple years ago, but took it back because it was damaged and I never did replace it. Again, thanks for the input guys. Now to wait on some after season sales.
-Jameson
IndianaYakFish

Postby Rick » Sat May 19, 2018 5:37 am

I've read on the internet that "corn is king".
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Sat May 19, 2018 7:03 am

Popcorn lightly salted. Avoid the canola oil they seem to frown on that.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to Greenhorn Forum