Kayak for hunting?

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Kayak for hunting?

Postby rozzo842 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:24 pm

I have a kayak I've been thinking about hunting out of. I was thinking maybe paint it in a camo, making a seat that will let me lay back in it and use it like that. I don't have a dog and getting one is not an option at this point.
I would really like some suggestions on what to do with this or if it will even be worth putting time into it.
What would you do with this?
uploadfromtaptalk1366244607036.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1366244624008.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1366244640494.jpg

Mods, if this is in the wrong spot feel free to move it.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
rozzo842

Re: Kayak for hunting?

Postby Goldfish » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:50 pm

How stable is it when swinging a stick? You might want to look into outriggers

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby rozzo842 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Goldfish wrote:How stable is it when swinging a stick? You might want to look into outriggers

sent from a phancy fone

I've fished from it standing up. It's pretty stable.
rozzo842

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:54 pm

How long is it? I have a 10 foot I use for retrieving on lakes. Ive chased a few cripples in it and it's not easy to shoot out of. You pretty much can only shoot straight forward and a little to the off hand side. After that it gets real tippy when you pull the trigger.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:58 pm

You should sell that to me or trade me for my tandem apex120.

Sent using tapatalk
FlintRiverFowler

Postby rozzo842 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:07 pm

It's 12'
I think it would be ok to shoot out of but would hate to find out the hard way that its not.
rozzo842

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:17 pm

rozzo842 wrote:It's 12'
I think it would be ok to shoot out of but would hate to find out the hard way that its not.

If you are using it over deep water I'd definitely use a life vest. Hard to swim in waders and a winter coat. I'd tie the butt of your shotgun off to the kayak as well just in case.
You wont know if you like it or not until you try it though.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby AKPirate » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:35 pm

PM Titz or Woody, they hunt out of a kayak.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Woody » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:54 pm

The last thing you want to do is shoot out of it in open water... Scary as shit!

Cammo it up, use it for transport or jam it up in some vegetation. Tall grass or reeds will make it stable enough to shoot out of, but the worst idea i have ever had is to use one as a layout.

We use ours mostly in locations that don't lend themselves to other boats.

If you want to know more PM me, right now I am drunk as shit and don't know if what I just wrote was English let alone coherent.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:39 am

Looks more like some type of hybred canoe.Kayak aren't usually open across the top like that. Doesn't look very stable. I wouldn't take that thing out in any rivers or, anywhere with current. Maybe small lakes and ponds. Just staying afloat, if you fall out in winter weather, is not going to save you unless you're somewhere that stays warm through the whole duck season. Hypothermia is what kills duck hunters.
Who ever said add outriggers is on the right track.
I'd tuck it up in the brush and only use it to get cripples.
Load up everything you plan to take with you including your gun and do some summer paddling in shallow water to check what it's like under safe conditions. And, I mean shoot your gun from it too, while the water is warm and you don't have to worry so much about hypothermia.
QH's Paw

Postby jehler » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:29 am

Listen to you guys, Christ, your a duck hunter, dying of hypothermia out in some cold ass remote area is how your supposed to die, duck hunters don't die in their sleep! Out riggers....pffft
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby flight control » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:43 am

If you want to camouflage it real good, fit it with some sort of netting, and tie strips of burlap to it. Ghillie suit for your kayak. Strap the kayak to the roof of your car and go for a drive to fluff it up and make it look ragetty. I did it with my kayak and it looked amazing with some natural vegetation stuck in there.

Possible downside is its heavy when wet. Be careful
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Woody » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:40 am

flight control wrote:If you want to camouflage it real good, fit it with some sort of netting, and tie strips of burlap to it. Ghillie suit for your kayak. Strap the kayak to the roof of your car and go for a drive to fluff it up and make it look ragetty. I did it with my kayak and it looked amazing with some natural vegetation stuck in there.

Possible downside is its heavy when wet. Be careful

Don't do that!
I detail how to do it here, and my experience using it.
http://www.waterfowlforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2001

This painted:
image.jpg

This is wrapped:
image.jpg

Once again if you want to know more PM and I'll be glad to help ya out.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby rozzo842 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Thanks for the offer woody, PM sent.
rozzo842

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:24 pm

jehler wrote:Listen to you guys, Christ, your a duck hunter, dying of hypothermia out in some cold ass remote area is how your supposed to die, duck hunters don't die in their sleep! Out riggers....pffft

^Troof.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby rozzo842 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:42 pm

Damn! I sent 2 pm's now and neither show up in my sent box. Woodie, are you getting them? If not ill try from a computer tomorrow.
rozzo842

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:46 pm

rozzo842 wrote:Damn! I sent 2 pm's now and neither show up in my sent box. Woodie, are you getting them? If not ill try from a computer tomorrow.

Check your outbox. If they are in there, then they were sent but he hasn't checked it yet.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby rozzo842 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:55 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
rozzo842 wrote:Damn! I sent 2 pm's now and neither show up in my sent box. Woodie, are you getting them? If not ill try from a computer tomorrow.

Check your outbox. If they are in there, then they were sent but he hasn't checked it yet.

k,thanks
rozzo842

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:31 am

jehler wrote:Listen to you guys, Christ, your a duck hunter, dying of hypothermia out in some cold ass remote area is how your supposed to die, duck hunters don't die in their sleep! Out riggers....pffft

Says the guy that doesn't go to elk camp because there are no showers. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
QH's Paw

Postby jehler » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:38 am

QH's Paw wrote:

Says the guy that doesn't go to elk camp because there are no showers. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sheesh, sounds kinda of weak when you put it that way...
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby aunt betty » Sun May 19, 2013 1:31 pm

Didn't ya see my home-made bucket-shower? Some said paint it black but this guy said "gold".
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Tomkat » Sun May 19, 2013 1:57 pm

Something is going to kill me some day.

It wont be duck hunting.

Sent from a fancy ass phone
Tomkat

Postby rebelp74 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:15 pm

Tomkat wrote:

Something is going to kill me some day.

It wont be duck hunting.

Sent from a fancy ass phone

My great uncle died in his deer stand after shooting a hog. He always said he wanted to go out hunting or fishing.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby flight control » Mon May 20, 2013 5:29 pm

I would die a happy man if I died in a duck blind. And although drowning or hypothermia don't sound like much fun, neither does cancer and chemo. Just saying.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Woody » Mon May 20, 2013 6:00 pm

flight control wrote:I would die a happy man if I died in a duck blind. And although drowning or hypothermia don't sound like much fun, neither does cancer and chemo. Just saying.

If I go out in a hunting blind and it is from a sudden heart attack, that is fine.
But drowning is not on my list of okay ways to go, unless I go in the water unconscious.
Hypothermia, as I understand it is a really peacful way to die. Supposedly you won't even know your going, just go to sleep and slowly fade away. If that is true, I guess that is okay, but I would like to get quite a bit older.
Woody

Postby jehler » Mon May 20, 2013 9:16 pm

Any of you guys had close brushes with death?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Woody » Mon May 20, 2013 9:57 pm

jehler wrote:Any of you guys had close brushes with death?

More than I dare to count, it is almost a yearly occurrence, and not to bring it up again, but the drowning was by far the worst.
Woody

Postby rebelp74 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:59 pm

jehler wrote:Any of you guys had close brushes with death?

Once the chute hung up for a second on a sky dive and thought I was gone, but somehow it ended up releasing about 100ft short of where it was supposed to. Caused me to botch the landing and I broke both legs. Had an od, my heart stopped beating and I quit breathing for a while. A couple car wrecks that I don't count as a brush with death, but I made it out unscathed, except one I fractured a vertabrae. If it ain't your time, it ain't your time.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby flight control » Tue May 21, 2013 7:21 am

I've been in a few situations where it could've went either way. 50/50 if you will.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby assateague » Tue May 21, 2013 8:02 am

Yup. And you didn't die, so the Law holds true.
assateague

Next

Return to Greenhorn Forum