First Time Out Alone

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Re: First Time Out Alone

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:00 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:I'm not 100% on this but I've always have a loaded weapon in either the boat or truck and have yet to get in trouble, even upon being checked.

:welcome: new guy!

You have a CWP?

Yes but I've only had it a little over year.

With one you are legal but without you can't have a loaded gun in a vehicle or boat while under power. At least around here.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:13 pm

It varies state to state.

MT & the Dakotas - ride around with an uncased weapon, loaded magazine & unloaded in the chamber = perfectly legal.

Try the same thing in MI, and they'll bury you under the jail.

Last year in RI, we were observed hunting sea ducks by COs from shore.
They watched us wax several cripples while under power. When we got to shore they threatened to arrest us and haul us to jail for hunting in a party of 6 (which apparently is serious deal punishable by crucifixion in RI - and not party limits, FYI. Literally having more than 5 people hunting together). They went through all the gear and guns and shells and licenses looking for violations, and never said boo about us shooting cripples under power (and they said they saw us doing it).

And as a side note - the party hunting rule was not printed in the waterfowl rule book and none of us had any idea it was even a rule. Certainly no excuse, but it goes to show you that, even though collectively our group had 120+ years of water fowling experience and have hunted (amongst us) 20+ states, always, always, ALWAYS know the laws where you are hunting.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:59 am

That has to be one of the most asinine rules on the books

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:12 am

I would have told the GW that I didn't know that one guy and he just keeps following us around.
"So you see Sir, we're only a party of 5."
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:58 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:I'm pretty sure...well actually I know for a fact that's it's illegal to have a loaded gun in a motorized boat so be sure to unload before you go to retrieve unless your like Assa and don't care.

Nuff, how do people hunt from boat blinds in your state?
QH's Paw

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:11 am

I think he meant when the boat is moving, not just a boat with a motor on it

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby hudson » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:40 pm

in Louisiana ur vehicle is an extension of ur home so u can have fort knox in ur vehicle locked and loaded and its totally legal without a permit.but if ur in shallow waters hunting or even deep get a pirogue its what I use.easy to hide by sinking it or in brush. u can paddle it or pushpole standing up like I do,but u better have some balance podna.look up ron chapman pirogues.get one at least 14 mines 15
Last edited by hudson on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hudson

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:47 pm

QH's Paw wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:I'm pretty sure...well actually I know for a fact that's it's illegal to have a loaded gun in a motorized boat so be sure to unload before you go to retrieve unless your like Assa and don't care.

Nuff, how do people hunt from boat blinds in your state?

I shoulda made that more clear. If the boat is under power it is illegal to have a loaded gun. If the motor is shut off then you are good. Too many people run around on the bay as it is with loaded guns jumping up the rafts of divers at blasting away at them. If it was legal someone would get killed out there.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Goldfish got it.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby johnnyD81 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:28 am

I started off hunting alone years ago and still do most of the time. For me When I hunt alone its a matter of planning ahead. I like to hunt workable water when I am by myself. So Its usually shallow enough to wade. That means hunting in smaller shallow areas with little current. Focus and shooting one bird at a time. And knowing that they are dead on the water. Even if it takes a back up shot once they are on the water its better than watching one dive under and swim away. If you need to use your boat hook up a trolling motor. Its quiet and wont disturb others. For decoys I started with 1 dozen mallards. Small spreads can be just as effective as big spreads when thown out correctly. That means useing the wind in your favor. A "V"shape or " U" shape spread with the deeks appearing to be feeding out to the sides. And the wind at your back with the deeks going out from you. This will put the incoming birds right in your face and gives you that 15 to 20 yard shot that is easy to hit. As time goes on you can increase your spread. But I have killed limits with 6 deeks before. Small streams and creeks make great hunting when big water freezes and in those places a full dozen is almost to many. Good luck. Get some good waders. And a small fishing pole with a weighted treble hook is not a bad thing to keep with you as well. Oh and good calling can make a not so great spot a honey hole in a hurry. Practice simple greeting calls, and single quack calls. Feeding calls are effective but if done wrong or to much they can work against you. A content hen quack is one of the most effective finishing calls I have ever used. And practice calling every day. I even practice calling with my off hand so that my gun is in my right hand and ready to be brought to the shoulder in a split second. when you hunt alone that split second can make an easy shot a tough one real fast. Last but not least make good shots. If that bird is 60 yards out there and crusing by its not a good shot. This is where your spread and your calling are going to have the most effect. When that duck is dropping in and has no reason to flare just be quite and let them come. A shot at 15 - 30 yards on a fully commited bird is hard to screw up. you just take your time and make a good clean shot. Nothing to it.
johnnyD81

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:53 am

hgraves wrote:I would love to have a hunting dog but my wife is allergic to dogs.

Sounds like an opportunity for you to get a new dog and a new wife.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Previous

Return to Greenhorn Forum