First Time Out Alone

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

First Time Out Alone

Postby hgraves » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:58 am

I am relatively new to duck hunting. I have been several times with a friend of mine, but we have kind of lost touch and I haven't been in a couple years. I really want to get back into it, but I don't want to have to depend on finding someone to hunt with. So I am trying to get everything I need to go it alone if I have to. But I have a couple questions.

When I have gone in the past, my friend always brought his dog to retrieve the ducks. Since I don't have a dog, and getting one isn't an option, how do I retrieve the ducks? I plan to do most of my hunting from a boat in "shallow" coves off a river. The water is probably just deep enough where I can't wade out to get the ducks. Obviously, I am going to have to use the boat to get them, so I guess a more accurate question would be WHEN do I go get them? Do I just let them sit in water and then pick them up when I am done? Or do I need to get them each time I down one? I would think firing up the motor would be disruptive and would probably piss off anyone else in the area.

Second question. Decoys. How many? Arranged how? I remember setting up decoys with my friend, but I don't remember how many there were or how we set them out.

Are there any good resources for new hunters, like "Duck Hunting for Dummies" or something?
hgraves

Re: First Time Out Alone

Postby Olly » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:03 am

For getting the ducks a small fishing pole and a weighted trebble hook is the ticket. As for decoys some guys swear by a certain pattern based on the wind. Me I just throw them out there never seemed to make a difference, you can try different arrangements to see what works best in your area.

When you're just starting out get yourself 3dz "hot buy" mallards. Most ducks you'll be going after as a greenhorn will decoy into mallards.

And for resources. You found it! Ask whatever you want here. WFF has a great group of guys that will be more than willing to help you along.

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:10 am

I like to pick up birds relatively quickly, for a couple reasons.

1) dead birds, sometimes aren't as dead as you think and they have a way of sneaking off

2) positively id'ing your birds. You may think you just shot a hen mallard, an it's actually a gadwall or black duck, might save you a mistake or fine for being wrong. And it's easy to miss ID birds on the wing.

An alternative to the treble hook is a landing net in your boat and scooping them up (my method). I think you'd be surprised how much birds don't care about a moving boat.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:20 am

Like Dan said, get them immediately, but TAKE YOUR GUN WITH YOU. The second you leave it in the blind or on shore at your hunting spot, you will be 30 yards from it, and a flocks of ducks will appear over your head. I hunt alone 95% of the time, and the number one rule is to think before you do something. I enjoy hunting alone, but there is very little margin for error if you do something dumb, and there's nobody else around, something that could jeopardize your life. I'm cheap, so would only go with 2 dozen cheap decoys to start. I rarely hunt with more than 6-10 decoys myself, but it sort of depends on conditions where you are.
assateague

Postby assateague » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:21 am

And :welcome:
assateague

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:40 am

Get a sling for your shotgun so when you are picking up ducks, you'll have your shotgun with you. If you are going out hunting alone, it would probably be a good idea to let someone know what general area you are going to be in and when you will be back in case something happens. Hunting alone can be rewarding when things go right and you learn a lot by hunting alone but you also have no one to blame but yourself when a hunt goes bad. And welcome to the site. :welcome:
goodkarmarising

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:45 am

I'm pretty sure...well actually I know for a fact that's it's illegal to have a loaded gun in a motorized boat so be sure to unload before you go to retrieve unless your like Assa and don't care.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:01 am

It's illegal to have a loaded gun in a boat under power. There is a difference.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:19 am

I also started duckhunting late in life. I had not own a dog for over 30 years and knew it was time for a change.

The relationship between a waterfowl Hunter and his dog is unique in my opinion.

I don't think I could go back to hunting without a dog now.

Good luck and be safe

www.ksducks.com
Tomkat

Postby hgraves » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:30 am

Thanks for all the great advice. I didn't know about the loaded gun in a "boat under power" law. I guess I need to go through all the applicable laws for boating and hunting again.
hgraves

Postby assateague » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:32 am

Game laws are their own special kind of stupid.
assateague

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:34 am

NuffDaddy wrote:I'm pretty sure...well actually I know for a fact that's it's illegal to have a loaded gun in a motorized boat so be sure to unload before you go to retrieve unless your like Assa and don't care.

Varies state to state.

In most of the East Coast sea duck zones it legal to dispatch cripples with a gun under power.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:36 am

Here, the sea duck zones are another whole set of regs and limits. Confusing as fuck. And you have to be 800 yards from any shore, and I only have a 660 yard range finder. Sometimes it gets "interesting".
assateague

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:39 am

I don't want to jumble up the OP's thread, but yeah - confusing to say the least from state to state and zone to zone within states laws can change.

Some due diligence is highly recommended for the area you plan to hunt.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:41 am

And back to the original point, pay attention when you see ducks loafing around, and set your decoys sort of like that. I don't know if it helps a ton, but at least it's a plan. If you never see groups of more than 20 ducks at a time while scouting, it'd probably be a bad idea to throw out 100 decoys, for example.
assateague

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:54 am

NuffDaddy wrote:I'm pretty sure...well actually I know for a fact that's it's illegal to have a loaded gun in a motorized boat so be sure to unload before you go to retrieve unless your like Assa and don't care.

Wow that's actually not illegal in Cali unless the boat is on a trailer on dry land then it must be unloaded.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:12 am

Other options for retrieving downed game are a bar covered with a pool noodle to float with a rope tied on it. Chuck it past the bird and drag it back. The bar should be close to a W shape so it pulls towards you with a couple "hooks" to catch the birds. Or else (check the regs on remote controlled decoys in your area) get one of those remote controlled decoys and put some sort of forks on the front and push the birds back to you.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby hgraves » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:15 am

Tomkat wrote:I also started duckhunting late in life. I had not own a dog for over 30 years and knew it was time for a change.

The relationship between a waterfowl Hunter and his dog is unique in my opinion.

Good luck and be safe

http://www.ksducks.com

I would love to have a hunting dog but my wife is allergic to dogs. I had a lab who I trained for SAR when I got married and it was very difficult to manage time with him. He ended up pretty much banished to a fenced in part of the yard. It really wasn't fair to the dog but there was nothing else I could do. So I will have hunt sans-canine.
hgraves

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:17 am

Talk to huntswithapoodle, lol

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:17 am

You could get a poodle. Good hunting dogs I hear and don't cause alergys.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Olly » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:18 am

hgraves wrote:
Tomkat wrote:I also started duckhunting late in life. I had not own a dog for over 30 years and knew it was time for a change.

Good luck and be safe

I would love to have a hunting dog but my wife is allergic to dogs. I had a lab who I trained for SAR when I got married and it was very difficult to manage time with him. He ended up pretty much banished to a fenced in part of the yard. It really wasn't fair to the dog but there was nothing else I could do. So I will have hunt sans-canine.

I'd say there are more duck hunters without dogs then with so you'll be alright.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:25 am

You'll want to check with your state on the loaded gun in a boat question. Here, the only prohibition is the federal one against shooting waterfowl from a power or sail vessel that is still moving as a result of being under power or sail. Theoretically, you couldn't shoot a cripple from a motorized boat until after it came to a complete stop, but that would be what our one time head fed called, "a skinny pinch".
Rick

Postby assateague » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:27 am

x2 to what Olly said. I haven't had a dog ever, really, and have hunted alone pretty much my whole life. It's not hard at all, just a different skill set. Sometimes you may have to select different hunting areas and/or shots. Most places I hunt, there will be plenty of shallow water, with only a deep gut here or there. I can shoot 40 yards for 345 degrees, but that last 45 will get me a lost bird if I shoot any further than 15 feet, due to the location of the deep gut. If I had a dog, it wouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you think about stuff like that when setting up and taking shots. Nothing worse than being 3 feet away from a bird, but not being able to take another step to retrieve it.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:08 pm

hgraves wrote:

Good luck and be safe

I did it. But here in Kansas it kinda sucks to not have a dog in the river come freeze up...

You could get a lay out boat and paddle after your ducks?
Tomkat

Postby flight control » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:37 pm

I will sometimes try to set up where the wind/current will bring the birds to me, but we have a law here stating that it is illegal to not do everything in your power to retrieve your birds immediately, so once again, know the laws where you plan to hunt.

One more piece of advice I haven't seen here is don't just run out after the shot unless you have an escaping cripple. There is a 50/50 chance that there may be ducks loafing within earshot that will flush when you shoot. These ducks can often be worked into the spread if you aren't retrieving ducks. I have killed a lot of ducks by staying hidden for one or two minutes before collecting my birds. While you wait, keep an eye on any dead ducks on the water. They sometimes miraculously come back to life. I've even seen a hen mallard escape a carrying strap and take off into the cattails, never to be seen again.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby flight control » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:38 pm

Oh, and :welcome:
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:40 pm

assateague wrote:It's illegal to have a loaded gun in a boat under power. There is a difference.

That's what I meant...got a $260 ticket to show for it too.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:27 pm

I'm not 100% on this but I've always have a loaded weapon in either the boat or truck and have yet to get in trouble, even upon being checked.

:welcome: new guy!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:41 pm

rebelp74 wrote:I'm not 100% on this but I've always have a loaded weapon in either the boat or truck and have yet to get in trouble, even upon being checked.

You have a CWP?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:56 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:I'm not 100% on this but I've always have a loaded weapon in either the boat or truck and have yet to get in trouble, even upon being checked.

You have a CWP?

Yes but I've only had it a little over year.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Next

Return to Greenhorn Forum