Choosing a gun.

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Choosing a gun.

Postby Anthony_Blitch » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:19 pm

I am looking for a good "reasonably priced" gun for a first time duck hunter? Shell size? I am also presuming that shooting skeet is best way to practice?
Anthony_Blitch

Re: Choosing a gun.

Postby Olly » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:22 pm

Find yourself a lightly used Benneli Nova for starting out. That or a used Remington 870. Both are known for their dependency and low cost. Perfect for a beginner.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:27 pm

Olly wrote:Find yourself a lightly used Benneli Nova for starting out. That or a used Remington 870. Both are known for their dependency and low cost. Perfect for a beginner.

X2 on the Nova. That's what I started on and love it. And when it comes to ammo there is no need to jump in and buy 3.5s or even 3s. Cheaper ammo will kill ducks just as dead.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:27 pm

Anthony_Blitch wrote:I am looking for a good "reasonably priced" gun for a first time duck hunter? Shell size? I am also presuming that shooting skeet is best way to practice?

You're going to get several responses on this one. IMO there are only 3 options for a new to the sport guy looking at a "budget" gun. In no particular order:
1.Remington 870
2. Mossberg 500
3. Benelli Nova/Super Nova

Get at least a 3" chamber so that you have more options when it comes to buying shells. You don't want to show up to the store the night before a hunt to buy 2 3/4" shells and have nothing but 3" available. 3.5" isn't a bad choice to have, but 3.5" is not a requirement to kills ducks.

Skeet will help with your shooting, but I think that sporting clays helps more with shooting live birds, and trap is a better option that skeet as well. Any shooting will help, but Sporting Clays, and trap are going to present more flight patters that you will actually see than skeet will...
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Do you already have a shotgun? If so, what kind? If not, Any of the above recommended would be a good starter gun. In your first couple of years, get in as cheap as you possibly can until you know if you're for sure going to stick with it then expand from there.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Or just keep your 870, because they don't break.
assateague

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:56 pm

An 870 as mentioned would be my first bet, go with a 3" chamber.

I'll disagree about the skeet. The hard crossing targets are way more likely to be representative of the shots in a duck blind than the constant straight-away's offered in trap.

Sporting clays or 5-stand are both infinitely more valuable for getting your eye trained.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:58 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:An 870 as mentioned would be my first bet, go with a 3" chamber.

I'll disagree about the skeet. The hard crossing targets are way more likely to be representative of the shots in a duck blind than the constant straight-away's offered in trap.

Sporting clays or 5-stand are both infinitely more valuable for getting your eye trained.

My thought one skeet is that you know exactly where the target is coming from, and what it's going to do. Trap is a surprise...

But sporting clays is the way to go if it's an option.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Anthony_Blitch » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:07 pm

I have been looking at the Remington 870, but will check the other options as well. "Feelin' Fowl" I have never heard of "trap" shooting before, but I like the sound of scattered type flight patterns. "Assateague" I like the fact that they are well built! I am the kind of person that if something treats me right I will use it as long as I can. "DeadEye_Dan" I never thought about that. It makes sense now that you mentioned it lol!
Anthony_Blitch

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:08 pm

That's true, but learning what the lead on a crossing target looks like is the point, so the consistency is valuable.

I get bored with all the clays games pretty quick, though.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Anthony_Blitch » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:09 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:An 870 as mentioned would be my first bet, go with a 3" chamber.

My thought one skeet is that you know exactly where the target is coming from, and what it's going to do. Trap is a surprise...

But sporting clays is the way to go if it's an option.

I will have to check them both out. I don't believe to much practice is a bad thing lol!
Anthony_Blitch

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:11 pm

Anthony_Blitch wrote: "Assateague" I like the fact that they are well built! I am the kind of person that if something treats me right I will use it as long as I can.

Look into getting an older 870. Some of the newer Remingtons aren't up to par with the older ones.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby jehler » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Benelli sbe2 or berretta a400
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:12 pm

And don't ever listen to jehler, pretty much.
assateague

Postby Anthony_Blitch » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:17 pm

What GA on the Remington 870 would be best? I assume 20GA, but you know what happens when people assume. Lol.
Anthony_Blitch

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:18 pm

12 gauge
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Can't go wrong with an 870. Beat the hell outa mine and it never skips a beat. Any steel shell will kill ducks. I like the Kent fasteel, and I like 3" shells compared to the 2 3/4" shells. Keep your shots inside 30 yards and if your on you'll nock em dead with just about anything.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:20 pm

rebelp74 wrote:12 gauge

12 for sure. 20 works but doesn't pack the punch a 12 does.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:22 pm

assateague wrote:And don't ever listen to jehler, pretty much.

Especially because this is the greenhorn forum and I know he's respectful enough to keep the jokes outside of this one forum that is meant for honest help for new duck hunters...

:thumbsup:

Anthony, just get a 12g and don't worry about needing one that takes 3.5" shells.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jehler » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:24 pm

Come on, the bguns are hands down the best waterfowl guns available. The only cost as much as a dozen trips to the bar and they don't spoil. Silly to throw good money after bad on a lousy pump
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:24 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:12 gauge

12 for sure. 20 works but doesn't pack the punch a 12 does.
20 packs as much punch as a 12, just not the volume of shot
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:26 pm

How big a guy is Anthony? A 20 can be a more effective killer than a 12 for smaller framed guys, recoil is a big player in shooting performance
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:47 pm

jehler wrote:Come on, the bguns are hands down the best waterfowl guns available. The only cost as much as a dozen trips to the bar and they don't spoil. Silly to throw good money after bad on a lousy pump

Browning does make some damn good guns.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:49 pm

Anthony_Blitch wrote:I have been looking at the Remington 870, but will check the other options as well. "Feelin' Fowl" I have never heard of "trap" shooting before, but I like the sound of scattered type flight patterns. "Assateague" I like the fact that they are well built! I am the kind of person that if something treats me right I will use it as long as I can. "DeadEye_Dan" I never thought about that. It makes sense now that you mentioned it lol!
Dan's right. But unless you've shot before, you'll wanna start out on those straight away shots and gradually move out increasing your angle. Then move on to sporting clays for sure
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby jehler » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:55 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
jehler wrote:Come on, the bguns are hands down the best waterfowl guns available. The only cost as much as a dozen trips to the bar and they don't spoil. Silly to throw good money after bad on a lousy pump

damn fine, wouldn't hesitate to buy one of those, but not owning one I don't feel right making the recommendation
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby flight control » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:08 pm

My niece's boyfriend was in the same place you are last year. He asked me to help him get set up and we shopped around for a gun and settled on a Baikal mp153. Its was affordable at ~600$ and I was very impressed. Very solid, very affordable semi-auto and he killed a lot of ducks with it.

Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:36 am

jehler wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

damn fine, wouldn't hesitate to buy one of those, but not owning one I don't feel right making the recommendation

Mine is still pretty new but can't complain yet.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:12 am

I guess the questions nobody asked are what price range do you consider reasonable, would you want an auto for less recoil or are you fine with pump guns, and do you have stores close to you that you can go see if these guns fit you before buying? Fitment is probably a bigger issue than brand. Most will go bang at least 90+% of the time when you pull the trigger if you maintain them, but if it doesn't fit you it's not going to shoot where you are trying to point it.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Tomkat » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:35 am

Welcome Anthony. Maybe a trip to the nearest clays range is in order? You would do well to actually shoot a few guns before you bought one.

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
Tomkat

Postby Anthony_Blitch » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:48 am

Olly wrote:
assateague wrote:And don't ever listen to jehler, pretty much.

Especially because this is the greenhorn forum and I know he's respectful enough to keep the jokes outside of this one forum that is meant for honest help for new duck hunters...

:thumbsup:

Anthony, just get a 12g and don't worry about needing one that takes 3.5" shells.

Sounds good to me.
Anthony_Blitch

Next

Return to Greenhorn Forum