Choosing a gun.

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Re: Choosing a gun.

Postby Anthony_Blitch » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:50 am

NuffDaddy wrote:Can't go wrong with an 870. Beat the hell outa mine and it never skips a beat. Any steel shell will kill ducks. I like the Kent fasteel, and I like 3" shells compared to the 2 3/4" shells. Keep your shots inside 30 yards and if your on you'll nock em dead with just about anything.

I am certainly hoping to practice my aim a good amount so should be able to keep them pretty close when I pull the trigger.
Anthony_Blitch

Postby Anthony_Blitch » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:52 am

jehler wrote:How big a guy is Anthony? A 20 can be a more effective killer than a 12 for smaller framed guys, recoil is a big player in shooting performance

I am pretty stocky guy so I would be plenty capable with more recoil. Never thought about that before though.
Anthony_Blitch

Postby Anthony_Blitch » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:54 am

Redbeard wrote:
Anthony_Blitch wrote:I have been looking at the Remington 870, but will check the other options as well. "Feelin' Fowl" I have never heard of "trap" shooting before, but I like the sound of scattered type flight patterns. "Assateague" I like the fact that they are well built! I am the kind of person that if something treats me right I will use it as long as I can. "DeadEye_Dan" I never thought about that. It makes sense now that you mentioned it lol!
Dan's right. But unless you've shot before, you'll wanna start out on those straight away shots and gradually move out increasing your angle. Then move on to sporting clays for sure

Understood. I have shot a couple of times, but never at moving targets..
Anthony_Blitch

Postby Anthony_Blitch » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:02 am

flight control wrote:My niece's boyfriend was in the same place you are last year. He asked me to help him get set up and we shopped around for a gun and settled on a Baikal mp153. Its was affordable at ~600$ and I was very impressed. Very solid, very affordable semi-auto and he killed a lot of ducks with it.

That's a damn fine gun! Never shot a semi-auto..
Anthony_Blitch

Postby Anthony_Blitch » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:06 am

Goldfish wrote:I guess the questions nobody asked are what price range do you consider reasonable, would you want an auto for less recoil or are you fine with pump guns, and do you have stores close to you that you can go see if these guns fit you before buying? Fitment is probably a bigger issue than brand. Most will go bang at least 90+% of the time when you pull the trigger if you maintain them, but if it doesn't fit you it's not going to shoot where you are trying to point it.

sent from a phancy fone

I have set a limit for about a $1000.. There are a few places around I am sure that allow you to get a feel for the gun before purchase. Will be checking first thing monday!
Anthony_Blitch

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:12 am

Anthony_Blitch wrote:
Goldfish wrote:I guess the questions nobody asked are what price range do you consider reasonable, would you want an auto for less recoil or are you fine with pump guns, and do you have stores close to you that you can go see if these guns fit you before buying? Fitment is probably a bigger issue than brand. Most will go bang at least 90+% of the time when you pull the trigger if you maintain them, but if it doesn't fit you it's not going to shoot where you are trying to point it.

sent from a phancy fone

I have set a limit for about a $1000.. There are a few places around I am sure that allow you to get a feel for the gun before purchase. Will be checking first thing monday!

Browning silver. A black synthetic is under your Price range and has made me very happy. Mostly for the reason is it shoots what I perceive I'm aiming at. Fit is far more crucial than any other aspect of a shotgun.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:28 am

Anthony_Blitch wrote:

sent from a phancy fone

look at the berretta autos, the a300 is in your price range. Auto is the way to go
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Goldfish » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:41 am

Lots of guys like autos for duck guns, and most are well within your price range. You can find used guns that are higher end within your range as well. With a budget of a grand, you have a lot of options. Find gun ranges that let you rent guns to try them out. Or just walk thru the sporting goods store shouldering every gun on the rack. When they guy with the annoyed look finally asks if he can help, tell him you are just looking. They love that, lol. Try closing your eyes, shouldering the gun, and see if it's lined up.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:32 pm

jehler wrote:
Anthony_Blitch wrote:

sent from a phancy fone

look at the berretta autos, the a300 is in your price range. Auto is the way to go

The outlander?
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tomkat » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Anthony,

The way a gun fits you is very important. I would advise having someone who understand the proper cast on/cast off work with you to make sure your point of aim is correct.
Tomkat

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:59 pm

Close your eyes then shoulder the gun. Once it's shouldered open eyes if your looking directly down the center of the rib is a good indication of fit.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:42 pm

jehler wrote:
Anthony_Blitch wrote:

sent from a phancy fone

This, you absolutely can't go wrong with beretta.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby hudson » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:06 pm

id go with a browning silver or winchester sx3 and if u want a pump id go with a remington 870 wingmaster
hudson

Postby Tomkat » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:01 pm

Use whatever gun the Duck Commander is using this season.

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
Tomkat

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Tomkat wrote:Use whatever gun the Duck Commander is using this season.

Remember this is the greenhorn forum before it goes too far.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:12 pm

I'm not so sure after seeing the Wildrose post.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:39 am

3legged_lab wrote:
Tomkat wrote:Use whatever gun the Duck Commander is using this season.

Remember this is the greenhorn forum before it goes too far.

Whats wrong with a Benelli? That's what I use....and I have heard very good things about the Mossberg he is now using.
Tomkat

Postby Mean Gene » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:05 am

#1 priority: get one that fits you personally.

Brand is nowhere near as important as fit.
The objective is to turn live ducks into dead ducks
Mean Gene

Postby Tomkat » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:07 am

Mean Gene wrote:#1 priority: get one that fits you personally.

THIS
Tomkat

Postby flight control » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:49 pm

Unless the best fitting gun is a Mossberg. :geek:
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:51 pm

Thankfully, I have been genetically wired in a way that prevents any shotgun over $400 from fitting me properly.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:53 pm

assateague wrote:Thankfully, I have been genetically wired in a way that prevents any shotgun over $400 from fitting me properly.

How many over $400 shotguns have you tried?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:55 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
assateague wrote:Thankfully, I have been genetically wired in a way that prevents any shotgun over $400 from fitting me properly.

My guess is 0. He would probably pass out if he touched one. Just gets lucky enough to find a "cheap" one that fits before he had to test his luck!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:58 pm

flight control wrote:

I'm going to try to get Mossberg to sponser the WFF t-shirts, and have a giant logo on the back, AND sleve so you haters have to look at it every time you put the shirt on!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
flight control wrote:

I'm going to try to get Mossberg to sponser the WFF t-shirts, and have a giant logo on the back, AND sleve so you haters have to look at it every time you put the shirt on!

PPFFFFTTT!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:24 pm

rebelp74 wrote:

Quite a few. Couple old A5s, some fancy citoris, Vincis, SBE, Legacy. None of them were even close to comfortable. The most comfortable o/u I ever tried was a Tristar.

I'm telling you, I'm just not wired that way. If its any consolation, Mossbergs don't fit right, either.
assateague

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:27 pm

assateague wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

Quite a few. Couple old A5s, some fancy citoris, Vincis, SBE, Legacy. None of them were even close to comfortable. The most comfortable o/u I ever tried was a Tristar.

I'm telling you, I'm just not wired that way. If its any consolation, Mossbergs don't fit right, either.

I don't believe you. Citoris are awesome and nothing's better than an old Auto 5.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:28 pm

assateague wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

That's because there is no beretta on the list. :D
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Well, this is true. I'll go to Gander Mountain and try one, just to say I did :lol: I'll be honest about it, though.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:33 pm

It's all about the shims.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Greenhorn Forum