My pattern sucks

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

My pattern sucks

Postby rozzo842 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:08 pm

I got out this morning and took a few shots to see what my gun was doing. There are some huge holes in my pattern with all 4 of the shells I tried. I'm shooting a 870 and only have the factory modified choke.
I saw a 3 choke set from Carlson's(?) For about $100 that I'm thinking about getting. Anyone have any experience with these or can recommend something that might be better?
rozzo842

Re: My pattern sucks

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:15 pm

Post up pics. You can find that set of Carlson tubes for less than that.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:26 pm

My 870 patterns best, by far, with Xpert #2. Doesn't shoot #4, or really any other size, nearly as good as the 2s. Maybe try some cheap shells, first.
assateague

Postby rozzo842 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:17 pm

All I have been shooting has been 2's. I shot some 4's early last season but found the 2's seemed to work better so I stuck with them.
Here's what I've been getting. The inner circle is 30" the outer is 40". Both were drawn before the shot aiming at the center dot. All are #2 shot.
Black cloud

Remington

Winchester

Kent

The kent piece was also shot with some buck shot. If its not a red dot its buck shot.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
rozzo842

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:22 pm

I'd hunt with any of those patterns and kill birds. Don't start overthinking it, it'll fuck you up.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:53 pm

They all look damn good to me. The winchester load is a little tight, but looks like it has the most even pattern.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:56 pm

Not great but definitely not bad, and remember patters are Gaussian, pick a load and a choke and shoot 10 patterns and average them to see what's really up. Draw your circle after centered around the densest area of of shot. Patterning is about pattern density not poa
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:57 pm

Nuff I just remeber a about running those loads for you, will do it later
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:07 pm

Is the Winchester and Xpert shell? Love those things.
assateague

Postby rozzo842 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:13 pm

jarbo03 wrote:I'd hunt with any of those patterns and kill birds. Don't start overthinking it, it'll fuck you up.

So do I just use what I've got or try to improve it with another choke? I did OK last season, just looking for ways to make this one better.
assateague wrote:Is the Winchester and Xpert shell? Love those things.

Yeah, I think they worked best for me last year if I remember correctly, cheapest shell I could find too.
I read you shouldn't have any gaps larger than 3" and I have allot of them. That's what got me thinking those patterns needed work.
Last edited by rozzo842 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rozzo842

Postby Tomkat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:14 pm

I threw my last 3 Xpert shells in Lake Perry last winter. I believe GKR has had issues with them, too....at any rate, I saw him throw one away.

My gun did not like the bulged shells that came from the factory. Maybe I got unlucky.

T0 the OP- I would hunt with those patterns, you are over thinking it.
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:25 pm

Tomkat wrote:

I threw my last 3 Xpert shells in Lake Perry last winter. I believe GKR has had issues with them, too....at any rate, I saw him throw one away.

My gun did not like the bulged shells that came from the factory. Maybe I got unlucky.

It's because you hunt with a high-dollar gun. Cheap shells love my cheap 870, and vice-versa. Putting Xperts in your B gun is like putting Zsa Zsa Gabor on a farm, only in reverse.
assateague

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:33 pm

rozzo842 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:I'd hunt with any of those patterns and kill birds. Don't start overthinking it, it'll fuck you up.

So do I just use what I've got or try to improve it with another choke? I did OK last season, just looking for ways to make this one better.

Yeah, I think they worked best for me last year if I remember correctly, cheapest shell I could find too.
I read you shouldn't have any gaps larger than 3" and I have allot of them. That's what got me thinking those patterns needed work.

I don't feel that tight patterns are always better. They have their time and place, but I think most people would do better with a more open choke.

Of the birds shot last year, were there flyoffs, clean misses, or crips?
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby rozzo842 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:45 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
rozzo842 wrote:

I don't feel that tight patterns are always better. They have their time and place, but I think most people would do better with a more open choke.

Not sure what a fly off is. I definitely had clean misses and a few cripples. Also had em just drop. I did have one bird drop and start swimming away. I shot him two more times, reloaded and shot him again. I watched pellets hit the water all around him so I'm sure I was on target but he kept swimming like nothing was going on. That's when I switched from 4's to 2's.

rozzo842

Postby Redbeard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:48 pm

You're fine. I'd guess if you didn't do well last season you oughta just practice more
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:50 pm

When you appear to hit a bird, but he flies off.
Killin birds on the water is tough, pellets in the head is the best way. I shoot 3s except for early teal. I have found choke tubes to improve patterns on paper, I like a LM for ducks.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Redbeard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:52 pm

rozzo842 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:
rozzo842 wrote:

Not sure what a fly off is. I definitely had clean misses and a few cripples. Also had em just drop. I did have one bird drop and start swimming away. I shot him two more times, reloaded and shot him again. I watched pellets hit the water all around him so I'm sure I was on target but he kept swimming like nothing was going on. That's when I switched from 4's to 2's.

Jarbo's right. Aim for the head when water swatting, not center mass
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:22 pm

From a dedicated waterswatter, I cover the bird with my barrel when doing so. If you can see the duck over your barrel, or even on your bead, too many of your pellets are gonna go low. Blot out the bird with the barrel, and pull the trigger. He'll be dead far more times than not.
assateague

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:23 pm

On a crip, Hold over their heads a whisker, stone dead.

Agree with Jarbo - more open choke is better. I'll shoot a mod to the extreme effective range of steel, and an IC for general use.

Spend your $100 on skeet and 8's instead of chokes, you'll be way ahead.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:37 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
Spend your $100 on skeet and 8's instead of chokes, you'll be way ahead.
Wise words
Redbeard

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:23 pm

jehler wrote:Nuff I just remeber a about running those loads for you, will do it later

Ok cool...no hurry.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tomkat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:32 pm

assateague wrote:
Tomkat wrote:

It's because you hunt with a high-dollar gun. Cheap shells love my cheap 870, and vice-versa. Putting Xperts in your B gun is like putting Zsa Zsa Gabor on a farm, only in reverse.

These shells might have jammed in any gun...were borderline dangerous. Really bulged out.
Tomkat

Postby rozzo842 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks for the advise guys. Looks like I'll just shoot what I have. I have been doing allot of skeet this summer to try and help and my numbers are definitely improving. Hopefully it will help in the field.
rozzo842

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:18 pm

I'm sure it will.

Also, keep this thought in mind when the shot is called and your racing to get your gun mounted and a shot off:

Fast is Slow, Slow is Smooth, and Smooth is Fast.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:07 pm

Good advice Dan. Oractice shooting clays just like you would hunting, gun down, work on bringing the gun up with a good mount.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Tomkat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:24 pm

I shot a shotgun pretty good for years.

When I started making sure they fitted me correctly
I got even better.

Make sure your gun really fits you.
Tomkat

Postby rozzo842 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:55 am

Tomkat wrote:I shot a shotgun pretty good for years.

I got even better.

How do I do this? I've heard of getting a gun that fits but not making the one you have fit you.
rozzo842

Postby AKPirate » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:12 am

rozzo842 wrote:
Tomkat wrote:I shot a shotgun pretty good for years.

I got even better.

How do I do this? I've heard of getting a gun that fits but not making the one you have fit you.

I was wondering this myself. Found this article but don't know how accurate it is.

http://americanhunter.org/articles/how-to-achieve-perfect-shotgun-fit/
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:22 am

That article is on track. You have to have your cast and cant right. I have seen a difference in my shooting since I paid attention to this.

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
Tomkat

Postby AKPirate » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:30 am

Tomkat wrote:That article is on track. You have to have your cast and cant right. I have seen a difference in my shooting since I paid attention to this.

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com

I need to check it. I just took my SBE2 straight out of the case and went hunting. Always wondered what those pieces (shims) were for.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Next

Return to Greenhorn Forum