Newbie brothers looking for advice

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Newbie brothers looking for advice

Postby McBeard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:14 am

My four brothers and I are fairly new to waterfowl hunting (past 4 seasons for me, past 2 for my brothers) and public state land is just not working. We just can't seem to find many birds no matter where we go. It's almost as if the birds know to stay away. So I was just wondering if there was a better way to go about this whole thing?
"Banning guns to fight crime is like banning spoons to fight obesity."
McBeard

Re: Newbie brothers looking for advice

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:19 am

Where you from?
What does the land look like where you hunt?
Do you scout?
Are there a lot of other hunters?
Can you get access to private land?
Are you willing to lease?
Is there a possibility you can get with a more experienced hunter to show you the ropes?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:21 am

Internet scouting for sure.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:35 am

Eric Haynes wrote:Internet scouting for sure.

The Internet can help you a ton. Figure out where all the public land is in your area, then get on google earth and look for places that look ducky. Then put some gas in the truck and put on your hiking shoes and check them out. That's the best public land advice I can give you.
Last edited by NuffDaddy on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:35 am

This is such a great thread
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby McBeard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:16 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Where you from?
Do you scout?
Is there a possibility you can get with a more experienced hunter to show you the ropes?

Northeast Indiana
Marsh's, ponds, green fields, corn fields. Prime land for waterfowl.
Don't scout much. All state lands are 45+ min. away.
There's always other hunters... Public land.
I need to get access to private, I'm thinking this is the only real way to hunt. Don't know anyone w/ land though.
Leasing isn't an option. (2yr. old + one on the way + poor job = ZERO $$)
I know a guy, but he is only in town long enough for early Teal & Goose before work takes him back home to Texas.
McBeard

Postby Redbeard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:20 pm

McBeard wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Where you from?
Do you scout?

Northeast Indiana
Marsh's, ponds, green fields, corn fields. Prime land for waterfowl.
Don't scout much. All state lands are 45+ min. away.
There's always other hunters... Public land.
I need to get access to private, I'm thinking this is the only real way to hunt. Don't know anyone w/ land though.
Leasing isn't an option. (2yr. old + one on the way + poor job = ZERO $$)
I know a guy, but he is only in town long enough for early Teal & Goose before work takes him back home to Texas.
sounds to me like scouting is your only option. Between the four of ya, I can't imagine gas should be that bad
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby JGUN » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:21 pm

You're just going to have to put in the time driving around and scouting. Also start knocking on farmers doors now and ask permissions the worst they can say is no. Google earth is you're friend too so you can find secluded ponds and such. Good luck.
JGUN

Postby McBeard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:22 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:Internet scouting for sure.

The Internet can help you a ton. Figure out where all the public land is in your area, then get on google earth and look for places that look ducky. Then put some gas in the truck and put on your hiking shoes and check them out. That's the best public land advice I can give you.

I figured this was our big down fall. We/I never scout because of the distance of where the public land is. We usually just head out early that day & scope out posted maps once we get there. :(
McBeard

Postby McBeard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Other problem is that my brothers aren't into this like I am. I have to call them and see if the want to go or they probably would never hunt. So this is all on me...
McBeard

Postby McBeard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:51 pm

Have been going through other threads in the Greenhorn forum and apparently I have broke a few cardinal rules, so I apologize for using the word newbie in my thread title and then asking where to hunt. I guess these are big pet peeves.
Last edited by McBeard on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McBeard

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Your best bet is to find places on google earth that look good, then take a Saturday a week or 2 before season and spend sunrise to sunset looking for birds and writing down what you see when and where. Then you'll have a starting point for the season. When your hunting be mobile. If there are no birds, go to a different spot you have picked out. Keep a log of all your hunts with weather and activity along with each spot you hunted and how you hinted it. Might take a year or 2, but you'll eventually get an idea on what to do and when to do it.
Time and money is the name of the game though if you want birds.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:56 pm

McBeard wrote:Have been going through other threads in the Greenhorn forum and apparently I have broke a few cardinal rules, so I apologize for using the work newbie in my thread title and then asking where to hunt. I guess these are big pet peeves.

Just don't ask for specific places and youll be fine. We all put in our time and money to find spots and don't just give out the locations willy-nilly.
I didn't see anything wrong with your post though.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby triplecurl » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:12 pm

McBeard wrote:Other problem is that my brothers aren't into this like I am. I have to call them and see if the want to go or they probably would never hunt. So this is all on me...

It sucks not having someone to split costs with, but if I have to constantly call someone to get them to go I would quit calling. If someone doesn't want to take the time to scout and find birds with me, then they aren't going when I find them. I have people that frequently say they want to hunt but when it comes time to scout, they are nowhere to be found.
triplecurl

Postby assateague » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:17 pm

triplecurl wrote:
McBeard wrote:Other problem is that my brothers aren't into this like I am. I have to call them and see if the want to go or they probably would never hunt. So this is all on me...

It sucks not having someone to split costs with, but if I have to constantly call someone to get them to go I would quit calling. If someone doesn't want to take the time to scout and find birds with me, then they aren't going when I find them. I have people that frequently say they want to hunt but when it comes time to scout, they are nowhere to be found.

This. I hunt alone 99% of the time, and enjoy the hell out of it. Sounds like you may have a better time without the dead weight, as well. At least some of the times. Plus, when it's just you, you don't have to worry about making anybody else happy by being the "guide", and putting them on the ducks.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:37 pm

If you and your brothers all went in together you could save up and hire a guide or get a lease.
Tomkat

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:14 pm

Also, if a hunt you picked and planned turns to crap on you just make it into a s outing trip. You're already there, make the best of it.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:53 pm

I saw it as a problem when I thought you were all four anxious to get into waterfowling together, because few who know the ropes will be willing and/or able to take four new guys under their wing at once. Assuming you can split that crew, my advice is to find and become active in your local DU and Delta Waterfowl chapters and hunting retriever test club. The later even if you don't currently have a retriever to test with them, as club and training groups within it will appreciate your interest and help. Know I joined the local HRC chapter to help find a good retriever pup after moving to Louisiana, went to the meetings, helped with training and test days and soon literally had more private and public land hunting invites than I could accept.
Rick

Postby Tomkat » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:13 pm

McBeard,
Water fowling requires a lot of time, money, effort, and patience.

If your brothers don't have the fire, you would do well to buddy up with a more experienced hunter. They will be more willing to take one greenhorn under their wing as opposed to 4 IMO.

Joining DU or Delta would get you the connections and info you need.
Tomkat

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Shoulda just quoted rick and said "X2"
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:55 pm

I'd recommend you split from the group and find an experienced hunter to help you learn the sport.

And in the meantime look into joining your local DU or Delta waterfowl groups for possible contacts.
Redbeard

Postby AKPirate » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Go it alone since you will learn more.

DU and Delta are great sources of info and contacts.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:15 pm

Redbeard wrote:I'd recommend you split from the group and find an experienced hunter to help you learn the sport.

And in the meantime look into joining your local DU or Delta waterfowl groups for possible contacts.

I wish I would have said that.

Oh wait....
Tomkat

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:17 pm

Redbeard wrote:I'd recommend you split from the group and find an experienced hunter to help you learn the sport.

This^
I would also recommend joining CWA.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:18 pm

I would say, dump the brothers and join DU or some other group like that. Find some experienced hunters to help you out.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:25 pm

I don't know if anyone already mentioned it yet, but you may want to join some kind of duck hunting association and ditch the dead weight.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby triplecurl » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:28 pm

Another thing, if a hunt you planned turns out to be a bust, just make it into a scouting trip. You're already there, make the best of it.
triplecurl

Postby AKPirate » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:31 pm

sometimes the best scouting is done when a hunt does not go as planned
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:41 pm

Ha ha!
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:59 pm

Redbeard wrote:This is such a great thread
Redbeard

Next

Return to Greenhorn Forum