Calling Basics?

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Calling Basics?

Postby McBeard » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:50 pm

Where would be the best places to find calling basics? YouTube? Instructional DVDs? Forums?
"Banning guns to fight crime is like banning spoons to fight obesity."
McBeard

Re: Calling Basics?

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:52 pm

Carlson championship calls make a great cd. I'd loan it to you but didn't get it back lady time I loaned it.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:00 pm

I learned a lot off YouTube. Just make sure it's someone that knows what they are taking about. Learning bad habits is not a good thing...might not ever completely get rid of them.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby McBeard » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:12 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Carlson championship calls make a great cd. I'd loan it to you but didn't get it back lady time I loaned it.

That stinks. I appreciate the gesture though!
McBeard

Postby McBeard » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:14 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:I learned a lot off YouTube. Just make sure it's someone that knows what they are taking about. Learning bad habits is not a good thing...might not ever completely get rid of them.

I've been watching alot of them and have noticed that some guys aren't so hot. I agree that I should start filtering them before spending my time watching them.
McBeard

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Carlson championship calls make a great cd.

This.

I'd loan it to you, but I'm a butthole...just kidding (Kinda). I still use it from time to time when I practice. I've had it for 2 years now. Just buy it. It's a great investment.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:06 pm

I learned from a Knight & Hale cassette tape, I felt they explained everything the best.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:12 pm

jarbo03 wrote:I learned from a Knight & Hale cassette tape, I felt they explained everything the best.

That's because you're old. McBeard probably doesn't know what a cassette is...

I have a lot of instructional cds that I still rotate through. Learn something new everytime...I did not have the Knight & Hale tape/cd, but of the RNT, Buck Gardner, and Carlson, I thought that the Carlson approach to the whole thing was by far the best. The others were/are very similar to each other.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:17 pm

Ha. Maybe I learned to call at a young age! There are some that are good once you know the basics, I still felt K&H were the best explaining how to start making basic duck sounds.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby RickC » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:58 am

Id like to get the Carlson cd. A favorite that I have right now is one by Keith Allen. Nothing fancy in it just good basic call operation.
RickC

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:37 am

Pretty much anything on youtube by Trevor Shannahan(however its spelled).
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:53 am

rebelp74 wrote:Pretty much anything on youtube by Trevor Shannahan(however its spelled).

That's one I thought of when he mentioned the youtube stuff was hard to sort. Pretty sure Trevor's youtube "channel" is Freestyle Outdoors. Could also look to the DU stuff there and on the DU site for instruction from the RNT guys.

And while I may get ribbed for this one, the original Duck Commander "Art of Commanding Ducks" video was a good little primer for both running a call and using it in the field. Once your more experienced, you're apt to find that some of the advice on it will leave more ducks in the marsh than need be, but I think that likely with most any "when to do what" instruction. Vintage Robertson and lots of bird footage. (All assuming the DVD is the same or nearly so as the original video.)
Rick

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:16 am

Buck Gardner tape is what I used to get the basics down. It was informative but the bastard said decoys funny and it drove me nuts.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:26 am

Oops, forgot to add the DC DVD link:
http://store.duckcommander.com/p-482-dv ... ducks.aspx
Rick

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:46 am

Mcbeard, I'm not discounting or dising what others have said but, I've never listened to a single instructional DVD/CD/Cassette or other media for ducks and have only listened to call specific media for instructions on specialty calls. My advice is outside the box of the rest of your advice to this point.
Two things that helped me greatly. First, going to where the birds are and listening. Watching how they react to each other. Number two, is going to very competitive public hunting area and watch the other blinds, paying particular attention to the blinds and calling that gets the best results.
Myself and others could give you advice all day and, much of it may never apply to your situation or area. Seek out info that is applicable to your area and situation.
Like the advice given in your other thread, more time spent afield will pay dividends. It doesn't have to be hunting season to learn from the birds.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. :thumbsup:
QH's Paw

Postby McBeard » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:26 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:I learned from a Knight & Hale cassette tape, I felt they explained everything the best.

That's because you're old. McBeard probably doesn't know what a cassette is...

Easy buddy! I had cassettes when I was younger :thumbsup:
McBeard

Postby McBeard » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:40 am

Alot of good information. Will be checking on all of these YouTube/DVD/CD... Might even look for a cassette!
McBeard

Return to Greenhorn Forum