Too much recoil?

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Too much recoil?

Postby rebel » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:59 pm

If you find yourself with your daughter or your sun saying... dad/mom that kicked to hard. Or notice the signs of flinching then do your best to find a lighter recoiling shell. My daughter, 9, recently started hunting. I noticed when shooting her 20 gauge with regular 3" loads that she was flinching and pulling off target causing her to miss, which in turn frustrated her. I turned to Hevi Shot Classic Doubles, started with some 2 3/4" loads and noticeably better, tried a box of 3" and still just fine. She started hitting her targets and not flinching. Add in the hard hitting of the hevi shot pellets and its a win...win...win.
rebel

Re: Too much recoil?

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:50 pm

rebel wrote:its a win...win...win.

Until you look in your wallet...
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:53 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

That's a damn fact! Hevi Metal cost enough.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:56 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

I've never even look at the price in hevi shot. I can buy 2 boxes of kent for what 1 box of hevi metal costs.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:13 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

I've never even look at the price in hevi shot. I can buy 2 boxes of kent for what 1 box of hevi metal costs.

Its scary. Some of their 10 ga ammo cost almost as much as my gun. :shock:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:14 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

Its scary. Some of their 10 ga ammo cost almost as much as my gun. :shock:

Haha. But it's soooooo much better. :lol:
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:18 pm

At $5-10 a shot they better guarantee triples...

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:25 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:At $5-10 a shot they better guarantee triples...

I'm thinkin they better take down the whole flock.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Hevi shot for kids is a great value if the kids have some time shooting clays and can hit. Steel is a huge handicap in the 20, it will kill em don't get me wrong but you have to be spot on. The hevi can make a 20 well outperform a 12 shooting steel
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:00 pm

jehler wrote:Hevi shot for kids is a great value if the kids have some time shooting clays and can hit. Steel is a huge handicap in the 20, it will kill em don't get me wrong but you have to be spot on. The hevi can make a 20 well outperform a 12 shooting steel

I'm not saying it isn't better. But I'm not goona pay more for a shell than I do a decoy. But like you said...if it helps a kid kill ducks, then it's worth the investment.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:26 pm

jehler wrote:Hevi shot for kids is a great value if the kids have some time shooting clays and can hit. Steel is a huge handicap in the 20, it will kill em don't get me wrong but you have to be spot on. The hevi can make a 20 well outperform a 12 shooting steel

^this
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:26 pm

^this
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:31 pm

rebelp74 wrote:

^this

Tell me again, what?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:33 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

^this

Tell me again, what?

fag
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:36 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

^this

Tell me again, what?

fag

:lol:
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:52 pm

I'll trade you my kid for some hevi shot
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:52 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

^this

Tell me again, what?

fag

Redbearded

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby jehler » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:11 pm

3legged_lab wrote:I'll trade you my kid for some hevi shot
you got a daughter old enough to go to the store?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:13 pm

jehler wrote:

No. The only girl is 3 - btw that is old enough to know she IS the princess.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:15 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
jehler wrote:

lol, 1 out of 5, princess or not she's gonna be tough and wise to the ways of boys!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:18 pm

jehler wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
jehler wrote:

lol, 1 out of 5, princess or not she's gonna be tough and wise to the ways of boys!

And with 4 older brothers I figure I'll never have to go to jail for beating up an under age boy. Haha
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:18 am

jehler wrote:Steel is a huge handicap in the 20...l

Fiddlesticks. Put the birds over the decoys, and there'll be no discernible difference.
Rick

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:05 am

Rick wrote:
jehler wrote:Steel is a huge handicap in the 20...l

Fiddlesticks. Put the birds over the decoys, and there'll be no discernible difference.
the perfect mallard coming 12 I clock into the blocks all perfect sure, but crossing shots and faster birds not so much, if your a good shot its one thing, if your not that bigger pattern of the twelve will knock down more birds
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:24 am

I thought the discussion was steel vs Hevishot in a 20. But I might argue much the same for 12 vs 20 "over the decoys," regardless of the bird in question "over the decoys". Lots of variables there, though.
Rick

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:50 am

Rick wrote:I thought the discussion was steel vs Hevishot in a 20. But I might argue much the same for 12 vs 20 "over the decoys," regardless of the bird in question "over the decoys". Lots of variables there, though.
yeah, it was you're right. Jr was shooting a 1 1/4 ounce of hevi 6 through his twenty, gave him like 300 pellets compared to 118 or so of steel 3's (I'm guessing at pellet numbers) that's a fair shake if advantage if your choked properly
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:10 pm

jehler wrote:
Rick wrote:I thought the discussion was steel vs Hevishot in a 20. But I might argue much the same for 12 vs 20 "over the decoys," regardless of the bird in question "over the decoys". Lots of variables there, though.
yeah, it was you're right. Jr was shooting a 1 1/4 ounce of hevi 6 through his twenty, gave him like 300 pellets compared to 118 or so of steel 3's (I'm guessing at pellet numbers) that's a fair shake if advantage if your choked properly

But if he were shooting 1 1/4oz of steel 6s, he'd have even more pellets which would be just as effective at "over the decoys" range.

(Fwiw, I once took a fit of 20ga alternative non-tox shot testing, and when Hevi-shot was the subject, I shot nothing but 3" 4s for 100 rounds and couldn't wait to get back to 3" 4 steel, because I was missing or just chipping so many more birds at the ranges O normally shoot than I was accustomed to with steel. Presumably do to tighter patterns through the same IC choke. Kent Tungsten Matrix was my favorite premium non-tox, but not remotely worth the price premium to me.)
Rick

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Rick wrote:
jehler wrote:

But if he were shooting 1 1/4oz of steel 6s, he'd have even more pellets which would be just as effective at "over the decoys" range.

(Fwiw, I once took a fit of 20ga alternative non-tox shot testing, and when Hevi-shot was the subject, I shot nothing but 3" 4s for 100 rounds and couldn't wait to get back to 3" 4 steel, because I was missing or just chipping so many more birds at the ranges O normally shoot than I was accustomed to with steel. Presumably do to tighter patterns through the same IC choke. Kent Tungsten Matrix was my favorite premium non-tox, but not remotely worth the price premium to me.)

to a guy with your experience and the area you hunt i don't see any value in the hevi stuff Rick, but, for the guys, gals or kids that are an ok shot and deal with more sudden and passing shots it can be a real help. i was blown away at the Marsh in LA, I swear the world is bigger down there, seems you can watch the birds come in forever. when we hunt puddlers here, specially the woody's and teal we hunt little holes were they surprise you from behind a knoll or tree line. when you tried the 3" 4's that was a terrible load for ducks, only having 150ish pellets(less than a 7/8 ounce of steel 4's), that load of hevi 4's will kill a large canada out to 60 yards if you put the pattern on it, the hevi shines with small guages because you can use so much smaller pellets and still have the energy. your example of 1 1/4 of steel 6's doesnt work in the 20 as to get any kind of velocity at all you're limited to 7/8 ounce of shot before you physically run out of room in the hull. below is a chart, i ran the numbers on a 7/8 load of fast steel 4's (jrs most productive killer) as well as 1 1/4 of hevi 7.5's (effective but hell on your teeth) and 1 1/4 hevi 6's. note the energy and gel penetration, the stuff is quite amazing. another factor is choking. don't know what you were using when you tried the hevi but the stuff patterns a LOT tighter than steel or lead, a cylinder or lm for goose is what we used for jr, with the 7.5's we used a spreader insert that made for quite an impressive 48" pattern at 20 yards
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:45 pm

I think you're fooling yourself with regard to close work, but if it boosts Jr. and your confidence, it's a good thing. Drive on.

Or should that be "rodeo on"?
Rick

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:50 pm

Hey jehler...what program do you use for that?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:22 pm

Rick wrote:I think you're fooling yourself with regard to close work, but if it boosts Jr. and your confidence, it's a good thing. Drive on.

Or should that be "rodeo on"?

jr hasn't used much hevi in the last three years, he's a crack shot anymore. And as far as close work, no need for the hevi inside of 20 really, it doesn't open up without a spreader and then its useless further out. those were the confidence boosters when he was ten ;)
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Return to Greenhorn Forum