Where to start?

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Where to start?

Postby realunlucky » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:28 pm

Signed up to ask a few green horn questions. Ive never duck hunted before and dont really know anyone who has, so ive turned to you guys. Why start now well my daughter turns 8 this year and wants to go hunting, I work out of town and need a longer season so we can get out more than just a couple times. Also I like the fact you have to learn to fool them with your spead layout and calling, so the more I learn the more success we can achive though the years. Lastly I find ducks beatiful and interesting with so many different kinds.
realunlucky

Re: Where to start?

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:30 pm

What do you have for gear? Guns?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:31 pm

And what part of the country are you from?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:31 pm

What part of the world are you from?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Haha. Just beat me
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby realunlucky » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:37 pm

Questions- 1 what stuff is essential? Decoys calls? 2- books or dvds that explain how ducks use the wind ie. If wind is this direction my spread should be layed out this way? 3- location/scouting I live in eastern utah not alot of standing water and not many ducks. What am i looking for and when should i look for it? Is it like looking for big game and im looking for largest number of ducks during the season? What about pre season anything i should be focusing on? Thanks in advance
realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:42 pm

jehler wrote:What do you have for gear? Guns?

Dont really have anything yet but an old 12 2 3/4 shotgun and some camo. I will be collecting everything as I find out what I need
realunlucky

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:53 pm

Do you have a general budget in mind? This sport can get expensive if you want it to.
A dozen or 2 floater mallard decoys will get you started.
I started calling on a zink power hen 2 and liked it. Practice practice practice. No calling is better than bad calling.
Find out where public land is near you. Get on google earth and look for water. Then put some gas in the truck, strap on the boots and go check them out. Also check fields and private property while you are driving around. If you see birds try and find out who the landowner is and see if you can get permission. You want to check out these areas before season. Just because there isn't ducks there at that time don't rule it out. Keep checking it through season, ducks move around because of weather and hunting pressure. As the season goes on keep scouting. It's best to check the area you plan to hunt just before the hunt so you know the exact spot the birds want to be at that time.
Be mobile. If birds don't want to be where you are, your going to have a rough hunt. Don't be afraid to move spots during a hunt if it isn't working out.
Scout scout scout. That's the name of the game. Keep track of each hunt and note weather conditions, date, and bird activity. Ducks will frequent some areas year after year, so you will eventually be able to narrow down your scouting to areas you know are generally bad.

I'm far from a pro, and others on here will be able to help out better than I can. I was in your shoes 4 years ago.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:55 pm

realunlucky wrote:

Dont really have anything yet but an old 12 2 3/4 shotgun and some camo. I will be collecting everything as I find out what I need

What kind of gun? Auto/over under/pump
What's the manufacturer??
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby realunlucky » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:17 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
realunlucky wrote:

What kind of gun? Auto/over under/pump
What's the manufacturer??

I actually have a couple they all pumps and fairly old. Winster with an exposed hammer a rem 870, and a browning humpback in 16 gage
realunlucky

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:20 pm

870 or browning will both work fine. I use an 870express
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby realunlucky » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:28 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Do you have a general budget in mind? This sport can get expensive if you want it to.
I started calling on a zink power hen 2 and liked it. Practice practice practice. No calling is better than bad calling.
Find out where public land is near you. Get on google earth and look for water. Then put some gas in the truck, strap on the boots and go check them out. Also check fields and private property while you are driving around. If you see birds try and find out who the landowner is and see if you can get permission. You want to check out these areas before season. Just because there isn't ducks there at that time don't rule it out. Keep checking it through season, ducks move around because of weather and hunting pressure. As the season goes on keep scouting. It's best to check the area you plan to hunt just before the hunt so you know the exact spot the birds want to be at that time.
Be mobile. If birds don't want to be where you are, your going to have a rough hunt. Don't be afraid to move spots during a hunt if it isn't working out.
Scout scout scout. That's the name of the game. Keep track of each hunt and note weather conditions, date, and bird activity. Ducks will frequent some areas year after year, so you will eventually be able to narrow down your scouting to areas you know are generally bad.

I'm far from a pro, and others on here will be able to help out better than I can. I was in your shoes 4 years ago.

No buget in mind really and know you can spend a bunch in hurry. I want to get the most bang for my buck starting out but want junk that wont last two seasons either. Yea i know what your saying about calling i bugle elk and know its about the right sound at the right time. Havent really ever looked for ducks during the season so maybe interesting to see how many fly across the desert around here
realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:29 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:870 or browning will both work fine. I use an 870express

Are some shells better than others. Thinking about getting some kents?
realunlucky

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:47 pm

realunlucky wrote:

Are some shells better than others. Thinking about getting some kents?

My 870 liked kent fasteel better than anything else I tried. Buy a few different boxes of #2-#4 shot. Doent get cought up in the expensive gimmic loads like blindside, black cloud, hypersteel. It's all a wast of money IMO. Try Remington Xpert, federal bluebox, and the Kent's to start. I use paper table cloth but anything 40" square will work. Set it out at 35-40 yards and shoot it in the center with a load. After every shot label the sheet and put up a new one. I do 3-5 shots of each load at the same yardage with the same choke. (mod choke should be a good starting point). After you've done at least 3 shots with each of the loads take them inside. Cut a string to 15" and place it in the middle of the densest part of the pattern. Make a 30circle around it and count the # of pellets inside. Take the average of the shots of each load. I like around 100 fairly even hits in the circle at whatever yardage I will be shooting ducks at. Whichever load looks best that's the one you'll further test at different yardages to know your limits.
This is kinda what your looking for.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380253567.126913.jpg

The best load in the world won't kill birds if you can't put the pattern in them. Time at the clay range is invaluable.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:49 pm

realunlucky wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Do you have a general budget in mind? This sport can get expensive if you want it to.

No buget in mind really and know you can spend a bunch in hurry. I want to get the most bang for my buck starting out but want junk that wont last two seasons either. Yea i know what your saying about calling i bugle elk and know its about the right sound at the right time. Havent really ever looked for ducks during the season so maybe interesting to see how many fly across the desert around here

I use flambeau stormfronts because I'm cheap. They are on their 3rd season and are holding up ok. Some scuffing, but no chipping. Some other guys should have some info on what decoys offer the best durability.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tiler_J » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:10 pm

Try looking into hiring a guide to take you out. They should have a decent spot and knowledge to share with you, especially if you tell them you are new to the sport but looking to get into it.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby realunlucky » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:12 pm

Nuffdaddy thanks for your insight. Ill get a pattern out of the gun pretty sure they are all full choke though. Thanks for the heads up on the decoys sounds like a good place to start. Looking around at calls you can spend a bunch in a hurry is it ok to only have one call? Do you ever need a backup of the same call because of freeze up or something?
realunlucky

Where to start?

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:13 pm

Not so fast Nuff. If its a Belgian Auto 5, steel could be a death sentence to the gun.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby realunlucky » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:15 pm

Tiler_J wrote:Try looking into hiring a guide to take you out. They should have a decent spot and knowledge to share with you, especially if you tell them you are new to the sport but looking to get into it.

Ill ask around. Proably be best to see how it done right once wonder what a day experince would cost
realunlucky

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:16 pm

realunlucky wrote:Looking around at calls you can spend a bunch in a hurry is it ok to only have one call? Do you ever need a backup of the same call because of freeze up or something?

You'll be fine with one mallard call. You don't need a backup necessarily. I keep my calls inside my jacket and hardly have a problem with sticking. That being said, a backup is never a bad thing to take along.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Tiler_J » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:19 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

Not so fast Nuff. If its a Belgian Auto 5, steel could be a death sentence to the gun.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

X2 Steel is rough on older guns.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby realunlucky » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:20 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

It is a belgain, ill have to do a little research before firing any shells. Ive only ever shot lead. Couple dove seasons pheasents when i was younger and we still had some around and one turkey are the only birds ive shot
realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:24 pm

Decoys a couple dozen, mallard call any other ideas or just get the zink? Some shells that pattern good but do not make the barrel explode. Is there such a thing as a beginner dvd? Thanks again
realunlucky

Where to start?

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:29 pm

realunlucky wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

It is a belgain, ill have to do a little research before firing any shells. Ive only ever shot lead. Couple dove seasons pheasents when i was younger and we still had some around and one turkey are the only birds ive shot

That's a fantastic gun. One of my favorites. DO NOT SHOOT STEEL OUT OF IT! Lead is fine for it.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:33 pm

realunlucky wrote:Decoys a couple dozen, mallard call any other ideas or just get the zink? Some shells that pattern good but do not make the barrel explode. Is there such a thing as a beginner dvd? Thanks again

Quackhead J frame or quack PIPE are good beginner calls. Winchester Xperts, Federal Blue Box, Rio blue steel are all good duck killing shells. Get a jerk string, you don't need a mojo like people swear you have to have but as far as I'm concerned a jerk string is a must. Doesn't matter if wind is blowing when you set up it has a habit of quitting when birds start flying. I don't know about a DVD.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:33 am

Most importantly what kind of ducks are in your area. If there are no mallards, then mallard decoys and calls would be useless. When I used hunt the gulf marsh in katy, tx and venice, la there were no mallards and all a mallard call would do is flare the birds. Not sure what kind of birds are out your way but it'd be a wise to try and get a general idea somehow. A duck whistle would be good as it works for multiple species, is super easy to learn and won't really spoke birds. Boat and waders are good priorities.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:34 am

Oh and welcome to wff!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby realunlucky » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:42 am

Have a couple sets of waders so should be covered there. I never realised different ducks needed different calls until today makes sense just never thought about it I guess. I'll give the dwr a call and ask about local duck types and pick their brain for spots to try.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
realunlucky

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:05 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
realunlucky wrote:Looking around at calls you can spend a bunch in a hurry is it ok to only have one call? Do you ever need a backup of the same call because of freeze up or something?

You'll be fine with one mallard call. You don't need a backup necessarily. I keep my calls inside my jacket and hardly have a problem with sticking. That being said, a backup is never a bad thing to take along.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

DH you're in Arkansas, realunlucky is in Utah, a little different climate.
Yes, realunlucky, your calls can freeze, if they are hanginmg on a lanyard outside of your clothes. When you are in an area where the birds are moving a round fairly regular, just lightly blow into your call once in a while, to keep it thawed and keep your hand cupped around it real good between calling. Sticking it inside your clothes is going to require far more moving around and motion is a duck hunters worst enemy.
I would strongly suggest you take Tiler_J's advice and go with a reputable guide for a real good taste of what it takes etc.
QH's Paw

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:12 am

Ducks will land into the wind when at all possible. Do you best to have the wind at your back or at least quartering your back.

Try your best to find out where the birds want to be. Exactly where they want to be. And set up there. It's muuuuuch easier to set up where they want to be, than it is to set up 100 yards away and trying to pull them to you.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Next

Return to Greenhorn Forum