Where to start?

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Re: Where to start?

Postby realunlucky » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:12 am

If you had a bunch of high flyers would a mojo be the answer for attracting them?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
realunlucky

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:15 am

It may or it may scare them. In the past 5-10years ducks have gotten more and more skittish from them.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:19 am

rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
realunlucky wrote:Are the magnums just physically bigger? Is that just for better visibility?

Yes and Yes

Those aren't stormfronts, those are good decoys.

Size comparison bro. They're all about the same size wise. I believe it's something like 12"(or 15"), 18", and 24".

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby realunlucky » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:22 am

Not to sound foolish but what is the 18 size called I'll assume the 15 is "standard" correct

realunlucky

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:23 am

realunlucky wrote:Is the rule of thumb bigger decoys on bigger water or just mix and match doesn't really matter

Some say that varying sizes helps give the illusion of movement. Don't know about that for sure but I mix them all together. Can't hurt. I have some magnum pintails in there too mainly for visibility. I usually don't mess with mojos except during teal season. Jerk strings are the way to go hands down.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:23 am

realunlucky wrote:Not to sound foolish but what is the 18 size called I'll assume the 15 is "standard" correct

Standard, Magnum, and Super Magnum

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby realunlucky » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:26 am

Its not easy to even search when you don't know the correct terminology. It's like a secret society marsh brothers or something like that

realunlucky

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:30 am

Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:30 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
realunlucky wrote:Are the magnums just physically bigger? Is that just for better visibility?

Yes and Yes

Those aren't stormfronts, those are good decoys.

Size comparison bro. They're all about the same size wise. I believe it's something like 12"(or 15"), 18", and 24".

Sent from my Vox Mortem

I gotta give you shit somewhere. :D
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby realunlucky » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:56 am

rebelp74 wrote:http://www.knutsondecoys.com/decoy_duck.html
thanks looks like its standard, magnum, and super magnum

realunlucky

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:03 am

Get the cheapest you can find to start. Duck hunting can be terribly expensive, or you can kill everything but a pintail with the cheap stuff. You can add to your surah over the years to get "good" stuff a little at a time.

Once you get out a bit, you can figure out if mojos are the way to go. If everyone has them around your area, it may be a good idea to stay away so your spread looks different, and vice versa if nobody has them.

Lots of guys kill lots of ducks with a dozen or less of the cheapest decoys...don't over think it to start. Pay attention to when your out and tinker over time.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby jehler » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:08 am

I don't understand the buy the cheapest mentality?

But the best value, you don't need hand carved cork but a dozen or two quality blocks and a couple slotted bags is hardly gonna break a budget, a hell of a lot cheaper than buying shit every other year
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby flight control » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:13 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Get the cheapest you can find to start. Duck hunting can be terribly expensive, or you can kill everything but a pintail with the cheap stuff. You can add to your surah over the years to get "good" stuff a little at a time.

Once you get out a bit, you can figure out if mojos are the way to go. If everyone has them around your area, it may be a good idea to stay away so your spread looks different, and vice versa if nobody has them.

Lots of guys kill lots of ducks with a dozen or less of the cheapest decoys...don't over think it to start. Pay attention to when your out and tinker over time.

You gotta be careful with this guy. One wrong move and he'll blow up in you face. 8-) looks like I missed some good stuff last night. All the posts got edited :beer:
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:17 am

jehler wrote:I don't understand the buy the cheapest mentality?

But the best value, you don't need hand carved cork but a dozen or two quality blocks and a couple slotted bags is hardly gonna break a budget, a hell of a lot cheaper than buying shit every other year

If you can get 3-6 years out of a $30 investment to start, I think that's the way to go.

He wouldn't be replacing the cheap stuff every year. Just give himself enough time to figure out what he wants/needs without throwing away real money.

Once he figures it out, then he can buy high end stuff, and only has $30 into decoys.

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:19 am

flight control wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:Get the cheapest you can find to start. Duck hunting can be terribly expensive, or you can kill everything but a pintail with the cheap stuff. You can add to your surah over the years to get "good" stuff a little at a time.

You gotta be careful with this guy. One wrong move and he'll blow up in you face. 8-) looks like I missed some good stuff last night. All the posts got edited :beer:

:lol: Karma was on fire last night!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby jehler » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:24 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:

If you can get 3-6 years out of a $30 investment to start, I think that's the way to go.

He wouldn't be replacing the cheap stuff every year. Just give himself enough time to figure out what he wants/needs without throwing away real money.

Once he figures it out, then he can buy high end stuff, and only has $30 into decoys.
you buy good decoys and end up not using them a quick Craigslist ad and you will recoup most of your money, you can do the same with cheap decoys but it will take a while to find a sucker, not to mention the bad karma of taking advantage of a moron if you so find said sucker.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:26 am

jehler wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

you buy good decoys and end up not using them a quick Craigslist ad and you will recoup most of your money, you can do the same with cheap decoys but it will take a while to find a sucker, not to mention the bad karma of taking advantage of a moron if you so find said sucker.

You could end up taking big his on decoys with CL. Probably more than buying cheap decoys and waiting...

A dozen cheapies become divers in the good spread. No need to try to unload them when an upgrade comes along.

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:27 am

realunlucky wrote:Its not easy to even search when you don't know the correct terminology. It's like a secret society marsh brothers or something like that

Got a email from Gander Mt. And they have standard stormfronts on sale for $30/doz. gonna go get 2 doz more today.
Reg. $50
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby realunlucky » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:43 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
realunlucky wrote:Its not easy to even search when you don't know the correct terminology. It's like a secret society marsh brothers or something like that

Got a email from Gander Mt. And they have standard stormfronts on sale for $30/doz. gonna go get 2 doz more today.
Reg. $50
yea saw goldfish bought some today in purchase today thread. Cabelas has them for same price had them sent to grand junction store hope to pick them next week on way home from work.

realunlucky

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:48 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
flight control wrote:

:lol: Karma was on fire last night!

That's no shit.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:50 am

Krylon is cheap hoss. If you have to repaint them every couple years as divers you didn't loose anything.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby realunlucky » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:50 am

But the best value, you don't need hand carved cork but a dozen or two quality blocks and a couple slotted bags is hardly gonna break a budget, a hell of a lot cheaper than buying **** every other year
I thought hard about this also but in the end I went with storm fronts. 20% of the cost of dakota's and when I upgrade kid can have her own decoys

realunlucky

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:03 am

I hear the hell outa my decoys. I can't justify spending $600 on a spread to throw them around the boat and back end of the truck.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:20 pm

Closest one is a standard stormfront. I just painted it black and white for diver hunting. Back one is a magnum.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380478790.032129.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Greenhorn Forum