Where to start?

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Re: Where to start?

Postby flight control » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:12 pm

The cheap decoys will do just fine. And you might find that you don't need very many at all. For years, all I had was three old hand me down decoys. I learned a lot gunning over them, and still use them in my scoter rig.

A big issue with the cheaper decoys is that the paint doesn't last on them. You can always repaint them and keep using them for divers.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is pay attention to the birds and learn to understand their body language.

Welcome to the site and have fun
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby jehler » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:47 pm

G and h or Dakota
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby realunlucky » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:59 pm

jehler wrote:G and h or Dakota

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
I was thinking this route and if I sucked and hated it they would still have some resell value. Of course it's more I want to spend. What about avian x decoys. My hunting swears their turkey decoy has no equal. Avian x duck decoy get mixed reviews, but they are more inline with what I want to spend and I could start with 6 and go from there
realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:03 pm

flight control wrote:The cheap decoys will do just fine. And you might find that you don't need very many at all. For years, all I had was three old hand me down decoys. I learned a lot gunning over them, and still use them in my scoter rig.

A big issue with the cheaper decoys is that the paint doesn't last on them. You can always repaint them and keep using them for divers.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is pay attention to the birds and learn to understand their body language.

thanks its allot to think about should of started planning months ago

realunlucky

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:10 pm

realunlucky wrote:
flight control wrote:The cheap decoys will do just fine. And you might find that you don't need very many at all. For years, all I had was three old hand me down decoys. I learned a lot gunning over them, and still use them in my scoter rig.

Careful trusting anything that comes from FC...he's Canadian :popcorn:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby realunlucky » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
realunlucky wrote:

does he throw rocks at the ducks thought guns were a big no no up there

realunlucky

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:14 pm

realunlucky wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
realunlucky wrote:

Bottles of Maple Syrup, and hockey pucks...
Last edited by Feelin' Fowl on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
realunlucky wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
realunlucky wrote:

Bottles of Maple Syrup, and hockey pucks...

1377585_10153261592620084_1127986265_n.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:19 pm

:clap: :lol: :clap: :lol: :clap: :lol: :clap:
Last edited by The Duck Hammer on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:19 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
1377585_10153261592620084_1127986265_n.jpg

Damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call me Boot/AK/O2M...

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:20 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote::clap: :lol: :clap: :lol: :clap: :lol: :clap:

Screw you DH!

Why did you have to edit smilies?

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:22 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:

Screw you DH!

Don't worry about it...
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:27 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

Screw you DH!

Don't worry about it...

:lol:

Karma biatch!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:28 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

Screw you DH!

Don't worry about it...

:lol:

Karma biatch!

Guess you realized what I done. :(

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:31 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Guess you realized what I done. :(

:D

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:31 pm

realunlucky wrote:Ok was going to pull the trigger on decoys tonight but not sure which ones. Figured proably be hunting mostly small water which should mean less decoys so should I get the cheap mallards or spend alittle more for nicer will it make a differnce?

I use stormfront magnums. I think they run about $60/doz. I haven't had any chipping issues, but they do scuff pretty easy. I repainted and flocked the heads after 2 seasons and they look like new now. If you only put out a doz or so slotted bags will keep the nice. I just throw them in a XL mesh bag or leave them on the floor of the boat.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:35 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
realunlucky wrote:Ok was going to pull the trigger on decoys tonight but not sure which ones. Figured proably be hunting mostly small water which should mean less decoys so should I get the cheap mallards or spend alittle more for nicer will it make a differnce?

I use stormfront magnums. I think they run about $60/doz. I haven't had any chipping issues, but they do scuff pretty easy. I repainted and flocked the heads after 2 seasons and they look like new now. If you only put out a doz or so slotted bags will keep the nice. I just throw them in a XL mesh bag or leave them on the floor of the boat.

Storefronts work fine for me too. Throw em all in mesh bags and then into the truck. Have some on Texas rigs that took a beating last year but they'll kill ducks the way they are. Probably will end up as scaup next year.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:38 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Storefronts work fine for me too. Throw em all in mesh bags and then into the truck. Have some on Texas rigs that took a beating last year but they'll kill ducks the way they are. Probably will end up as scaup next year.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

You have any chipping issues with them yet. My oldest are going into the 3rd season and still holding great. Minor chipping on the bill of a few.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby realunlucky » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Saw the storefront online at cabelas for 29$. Guess I'll go that route too. Should I clear coat them or just leave them be?

realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:44 pm

Are the magnums just physically bigger? Is that just for better visibility?

realunlucky

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:50 pm

realunlucky wrote:Saw the storefront online at cabelas for 29$. Guess I'll go that route too. Should I clear coat them or just leave them be?

Leave them be. Clear coat makes them shine, and that's bad.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:52 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

You have any chipping issues with them yet. My oldest are going into the 3rd season and still holding great. Minor chipping on the bill of a few.

No chipping. Just general wear, the Texas rig ones show it more than the others.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:52 pm

realunlucky wrote:Are the magnums just physically bigger? Is that just for better visibility?

Yeah. They are quite a bit bigger. And the magnums have different head positions where the standards are all the same.
I can take a picture side by side tomorrow so you can see the difference.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:53 pm

realunlucky wrote:Are the magnums just physically bigger? Is that just for better visibility?

Yes and Yes

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:53 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

No chipping. Just general wear, the Texas rig ones show it more than the others.

Good to hear. For cheap ass decoys, they've met my expectations.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:56 pm

I love my stormfronts. I've had them for 6 years (I think), and they're in great shape. At least the mallards are. I only use them occasionally, but they are always getting tossed around. Most I bought got painted immediately as black ducks, and I have to hit them every year with the krylon, but that's just because I do no prep- just hit them with the spray paint. Bt no cracks/leaks/broken keels, nothing. I'd buy more in a second if I needed them.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:56 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

Yes and Yes

Those aren't stormfronts, those are good decoys.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby realunlucky » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:02 am

Is the rule of thumb bigger decoys on bigger water or just mix and match doesn't really matter

realunlucky

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:04 am

realunlucky wrote:Is the rule of thumb bigger decoys on bigger water or just mix and match doesn't really matter

I don't think it really matters, unless you have high flyers or are in the timber. In which case I like bigger decoys as it gives them a better chance of being seen.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:10 am

realunlucky wrote:Is the rule of thumb bigger decoys on bigger water or just mix and match doesn't really matter

Probably won't really matter.
But I'll get pictures for you tomorrow. The standards are pretty small.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Greenhorn Forum