River hunting

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

River hunting

Postby sagebel » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:19 pm

I am getting back into waterfowl hunting after about 17 years. As a kid I grew up hunting small farm ponds in WNY. Now that I live in New Mexico it seems I'll be hunting the river. Once I figure out where I can hunt on the river does my setup change at all or do the same basics like back to the wind and a U or W layout work? Do I stay in 2-3' of water or do I look for deaper areas? I also assume that I should stay out of the main current and maybe look for small coves. Not looking for a specific place, just looking for some guidance so I can figure out where to go by looking at a map (unless someone needs another guy in the blind).
sagebel

Re: River hunting

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Find out where its legal to hunt, then if you have a boat check those areas out and look for birds. If not check from roads and walk in. You want to hunt where the birds want to be.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:47 pm

I have best luck in shallower slack water. My best luck finding birds is to look for big bodies of water near the river where they can roost. Then just catch them coming to and from. setting decoys can be tricky sometimes depending on depth and how they are using the area.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby sagebel » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:09 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Find out where its legal to hunt, then if you have a boat check those areas out and look for birds. If not check from roads and walk in. You want to hunt where the birds want to be.

Going through the regs for NM is confusing. Different permits required for each variety of public land. Hopefully I can get out in a week or two. (still have two screws in my ankle). No boat so I am limited to wherever my waders and a fishing pole can reach.

Thanks for the tips guys. Still trying to dig through the forum and eliminate a lot of questions.
sagebel

Postby flight control » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:30 pm

As was said here before, look for ducks and set up where they want to be. For pudlers, I just toss out my deeks willy nilly in small groups, leaving pockets where I would like them to land.

The rivers I hunt are tidal and slow moving. I like to set up on points instead of coves so that my spread is more visible. Your river may be too fast for that, but scouting will help you pick out a location.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Return to Greenhorn Forum