Found ducks now what?

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Re: Found ducks now what?

Postby RickC » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:09 pm

realunlucky wrote:
RickC wrote:
realunlucky wrote:Daughter is very excited to go hunting. Told me she can't wait to spend time with just us no younger brother. Hoping she really has good time

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Did you get that package yet?

Blessings,
Rick
http://www.facebook.com/groups/customdecoys/

Not yet rick thought it would have shown up but you know postal serice hopefully today. Ordered the duck id book and it hasnt shown up yet either like they said it would, oh well let megan help texas rig the decoys so she feels part of the process.

Ok I will see if I can track it.
Yeah anything to get them invested in it will keep the interest going and it sounds like she's really looking forward to everything.

Blessings,
Rick
www.facebook.com/groups/customdecoys/
RickC

Postby realunlucky » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:42 pm

How far out do place my decoys? Shooting 2 3/4 so guessing. 30 yards is maximum effective killing range. 15 yards seems pretty close to the bank.

realunlucky

Postby jmitch » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:17 pm

realunlucky wrote:How far out do place my decoys? Shooting 2 3/4 so guessing. 30 yards is maximum effective killing range. 15 yards seems pretty close to the bank.

Youre going to want to shoot atleast ten yards farther than your decoys in my opinion. Many times you'll get birds land on the outer edge of your decoys and I like to be able to shoot. 15 yards seems pretty good and you also want them in somewhat open water so they can be seen if there is a lot of vegetation where you set up. In the end tho its not really rocket science as long as you're somewhere the ducks wanna be you'll get shooting.

As far as range. Whatever you're comfortable with. 2 and 3/4 will kill decoying ducks past 30 but you're going to cripple more at that range too. I'd play it safe and just shoot whatever you're comfortable with. If they look too far let them pass
jmitch

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:10 pm

banknote wrote:
realunlucky wrote:Are some times of day better than others? Is it typical to leave for lunch?

There's no better way to bring ducks around than sticking a sandwich in your face.

I concur, just like fishing. If you got sandwich in one hand and coffee in the other, doubles your odds of low flying sneaky duck plopping down in the middle of your deeks undetected until that tell tale splash.
QH's Paw

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:26 am

Opening day today. Went out in the kayak to adjust the decoys that I threw out before light. Soon as I got in the spread a pair came over.

Got em both though. :-)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380986772.485153.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby realunlucky » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:52 pm

Got back awhile ago. Got to the spot early by the amount of headlights knew it would be busy. About 12 minutes before official shooting light two pintails set down in the spread it was a real confidence booster. About 8 minutes later 7 guys haul ass down and set up about 125 yards directly in front of us on the levee of the upper lake. Really! Now we really couldn't even shoot. Of course their spot was better and any ducks would have to fly over them first. They got plenty of shooting in. Kid got cold and bored with no ducks around us and started crying so we headed for the car. Loaded stuff up and unloaded gun two ducks do fly by low and slow

realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:56 pm

Megan warmed up and wanted to kill a duck so we raced to a couple ponds we have been me keeping our eyes on. Small puddle really hoping to jump shoot them. First pond she same door and there they fly gun empty.

realunlucky

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:59 pm

That sucks brother. Sometimes stupid shit like that happens and that's what makes public land hunting a bitch. Hunt around and try and find a private pond somewhere. I know that isn't always possible and even if you do it doesn't mean that ducks will want to be there. Its just something you have to stick with and when it finally pays off it makes all the hard times worth it.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby RickC » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Welcome to waterfowling public land style. Hate that her first trip out turned bad but its not always that way. Opening weekends are just nuts in most places, especially walk in spots on public areas.

Blessings,
Rick
www.facebook.com/groups/customdecoys/
RickC

Postby realunlucky » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:04 pm

Second place is a bigger pond discuss game plan and the need to be quite when jump shooting. Sneak up look over levee ducks on other side back to car drive around put sneak on again get about twenty yards away spotted! Ducks fly of course we snuck in down winds so they got some distance in a hurry

realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:06 pm

Empty gun but them suckers have an iron clad ass. Guns empty other shells left in car so of course ducks circle once low just to gloat. Ended up being about 60 mallards it was awesome to see so many in the air but sad I screwed it up

realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:11 pm

Over all she said she wanted she wanted to go again so that's all that mattered today

realunlucky

Postby jehler » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:18 pm

realunlucky wrote:Got back awhile ago. Got to the spot early by the amount of headlights knew it would be busy. About 12 minutes before official shooting light two pintails set down in the spread it was a real confidence booster. About 8 minutes later 7 guys haul ass down and set up about 125 yards directly in front of us on the levee of the upper lake. Really! Now we really couldn't even shoot. Of course their spot was better and any ducks would have to fly over them first. They got plenty of shooting in. Kid got cold and bored with no ducks around us and started crying so we headed for the car. Loaded stuff up and unloaded gun two ducks do fly by low and slow

others will disagree but I would have shot the guys setting up 125 yards out every time a bird was within sight
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby realunlucky » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:21 pm

RickC wrote:Welcome to waterfowling public land style. Hate that her first trip out turned bad but its not always that way. Opening weekends are just nuts in most places, especially walk in spots on public areas.

Blessings,
Rick
http://www.facebook.com/groups/customdecoys/
knew people would be out was surprised at how many. It was also general season elk opener. I'll be back it was interesting to see how and where everyone was setup. Learned a bunch mostly some hunters are stupid and inconsiderate but it's not my first time on public land. Still tonight maybe a pond

realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:23 pm

jehler wrote:
realunlucky wrote:Got back awhile ago. Got to the spot early by the amount of headlights knew it would be busy. About 12 minutes before official shooting light two pintails set down in the spread it was a real confidence booster. About 8 minutes later 7 guys haul ass down and set up about 125 yards directly in front of us on the levee of the upper lake. Really! Now we really couldn't even shoot. Of course their spot was better and any ducks would have to fly over them first. They got plenty of shooting in. Kid got cold and bored with no ducks around us and started crying so we headed for the car. Loaded stuff up and unloaded gun two ducks do fly by low and slow

others will disagree but I would have shot the guys setting up 125 yards out every time a bird was within sight
yea normally I vote this way also but didn't start my girl down this road this early in her hunting career

realunlucky

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:39 pm

realunlucky wrote:
jehler wrote:

yea normally I vote this way also but didn't start my girl down this road this early in her hunting career

Did you say anything to them? Was there room for them to go elsewhere and not be 100 yards from someone else?
You did right by not getting in a fight with the guys with your daughter right there, but jehler is right in any other situation. If you let them know your there and not happy about it, then they deserve to get hailed on and not shoot any birds.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby realunlucky » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:54 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
realunlucky wrote:
jehler wrote:

Did you say anything to them? Was there room for them to go elsewhere and not be 100 yards from someone else?
You did right by not getting in a fight with the guys with your daughter right there, but jehler is right in any other situation. If you let them know your there and not happy about it, then they deserve to get hailed on and not shoot any birds.
it was pretty apparent they saw my spread. Yea they had limited choices where to setup since they came 5 minutes before official shooting time. You can't talk to guys like that without kicking them in the balls. It's the opener every spot had ten trucks parked in it. I've never hunted ducks before and knew I better get setup early.

realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:00 pm

Besides I figured we would make an early exit for some reason or other since my hunting partner is 7. And wanted to make sure we didn't screw anyone else's hunt while leaving. I blame my father for making me responsible and considerate of others a trait I'd like my daughter to have while she is young and naive to nasty human nature

realunlucky

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:40 pm

I would have had my kid practice shooting ducks on the water by using their decoys as targets.

Eff thos guys.

I'm glad she had fun, and wants to go out again. Give it two weeks, and you should have the place to yourselves...
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby realunlucky » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:I would have had my kid practice shooting ducks on the water by using their decoys as targets.

Eff thos guys.

I'm glad she had fun, and wants to go out again. Give it two weeks, and you should have the place to yourselves...
of course they didn't have their own decoys

realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:39 pm

Thanks again guys time spent with daughter makes it all worth it

realunlucky

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:49 pm

realunlucky wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:I would have had my kid practice shooting ducks on the water by using their decoys as targets.

Eff thos guys.

Were they calling? Or just skybusting the ducks headed for you and others?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby realunlucky » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:00 pm

They did call but looked more like they were shooting ducks circling the giant spread of decoys on the other lake about 200 yards away from them. Oh the opener fun for everyone

realunlucky

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Those kind of people need to get shot. After this, there won't be many guys out any more, and those that are should be better hunters and respect the other guys out there.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby triplecurl » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:12 pm

jehler wrote:

X2
triplecurl

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:40 am

realunlucky wrote:

Eff thos guys.

I hunt Wyoming quite a bit and that is a very common tactic. I mean, people setting up on your approach with no decoys. I rarely see other hunters with decoys set up there. I just figured all the Mormon were too cheap to buy their own decoys. Then one Sunday, I saw two guys packing deeks to a nearby spot from where we were setup. Less than 2 hours and they picked up and left for church. They were shooting birds still when they picked up. They were Mormons.
Sorry but, I'm missing the sermon if the birds are flying. If god wants me to be preached to on Sunday, he'll send a duck hunting preacher to the marsh.
Good you got the girl out. Things will go better as your season progresses, just like others have said. :thumbsup:
QH's Paw

Postby realunlucky » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:14 am

QH's Paw wrote:
realunlucky wrote:

Eff thos guys.

I hunt Wyoming quite a bit and that is a very common tactic. I mean, people setting up on your approach with no decoys. I rarely see other hunters with decoys set up there. I just figured all the Mormon were too cheap to buy their own decoys. Then one Sunday, I saw two guys packing deeks to a nearby spot from where we were setup. Less than 2 hours and they picked up and left for church. They were shooting birds still when they picked up. They were Mormons.
Sorry but, I'm missing the sermon if the birds are flying. If god wants me to be preached to on Sunday, he'll send a duck hunting preacher to the marsh.
Good you got the girl out. Things will go better as your season progresses, just like others have said. :thumbsup:
that's a pretty broad statement based on a few people. Being an asshole is a personal choice they make everyday. That being said Utah hunters have the poorest ethics I've seen and I hunt out of state every year. One thing I learned in the army is you can't tell who you want in the hole next to you by just looking at a man's shell

realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:18 am

Daughter was pissed when I told her we were staying home today. Going to go scout some ponds my buddy built this summer before the monsoon rains. Road is rough can't get truck in there going to have to take the land cruiser should be fun trip.

realunlucky

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:42 pm

realunlucky wrote:Daughter was pissed when I told her we were staying home today. Going to go scout some ponds my buddy built this summer before the monsoon rains. Road is rough can't get truck in there going to have to take the land cruiser should be fun trip.

Good luck!! Hope you find some birds.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:50 pm

I don't know what its like out there, but around here there are a lot a beaver ponds and small marshes throughout the public lands. I scouted one that was back in the woods a ways and was holding a dozen or so mallards and some geese. Went there opening morning about a half hour before LST because I knew no one else would be there. Shot my limit if mallards, then went back for the PM and shot a limit of geese. Never saw another guy, or heard another shot. Only saw maybe 15 ducks all morning, but every one of them tried to land in the hole. So don't overlook an area with only a few ducks that's out of the way from other hunters.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Greenhorn Forum