Found ducks now what?

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Re: Found ducks now what?

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:08 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:What are you using for shells...length, shot size, how heavy, velocity?

2 3/4 Remington sportsman steel will drop jumped ducks like rain. Shells aren't the important part, getting used to that style of hunting is what gets ya.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby realunlucky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:39 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:What are you using for shells...length, shot size, how heavy, velocity?

2 3/4 Remington sportsman steel will drop jumped ducks like rain. Shells aren't the important part, getting used to that style of hunting is what gets ya.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
I'm using the sportsman's with a Winchester97 full choke. I'd use better shells but they need to low end velocity because gun is a classic. Using 4 shot because its old steel barrel with full choke and I'm not sure if 2 would work

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
realunlucky

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:44 pm

That's all you need. The full choke is probably what's making it tough on you. Probably have a overly dense pattern for the close shots.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby realunlucky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:51 pm

If they are flying directly away you should still be leading them correct

realunlucky

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:02 pm

realunlucky wrote:If they are flying directly away you should still be leading them correct

You almost always have to lead 'em. You'll have to shoot over their heads, so you'll be blocking them out with your barrel before you shoot.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:00 pm

How much prior wing shooting experience do you have?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby realunlucky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Not much unfortunately

realunlucky

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:09 pm

I will say this- if you do waterswat (I do, nothing wrong with it in my book), cover the bird up with the barrel. If you can see the bird, you're gonna shoot low. In my experience, this also applies to anything coming right at you or right away from you, as well. Don't put the bead on the target, or you'll go low.

Again, just my experience. Nothing scientific behind it, as far as I know.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:16 pm

If I blot em, I hit high. Just above my bead seems to be center of my pattern. Just another reason to pattern your gun.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:19 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:If I blot em, I hit high. Just above my bead seems to be center of my pattern. Just another reason to pattern your gun.

I have only patterned my gun one time and that was for turkey loads, probably should do it. I know my Nova would throw terrible patterns sometimes by watching the water when I was swatting.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:23 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:If I blot em, I hit high. Just above my bead seems to be center of my pattern. Just another reason to pattern your gun.

I have only patterned my gun one time and that was for turkey loads, probably should do it. I know my Nova would throw terrible patterns sometimes by watching the water when I was swatting.

As long as your happy with how it kills ducks, I wouldn't worry.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:28 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

It was an interesting deal with the turkey loads. A factory full choke for an A5 will throw about a 6-8" pattern at 20 yards. I wasn't expecting the recoil from a turkey load either, almost put me on my ass. :lol:

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:35 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

It was an interesting deal with the turkey loads. A factory full choke for an A5 will throw about a 6-8" pattern at 20 yards. I wasn't expecting the recoil from a turkey load either, almost put me on my ass. :lol:

2oz of lead hurts. I actually tipped over the first time I shot one.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:38 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

I weigh 250 and it pushed me back onto one leg. Seriously thought I was going down.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:43 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:[quote="NuffDaddy"]If I blot em, I hit high. Just above my bead seems to be center of my pattern. Just another reason to pattern your gun.

I weigh 250 and it pushed me back onto one leg. Seriously thought I was going down.[/quote]
I was about 100 pounds and sitting on the ground. Laid me right out on my back.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby realunlucky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:12 pm

assateague wrote:I will say this- if you do waterswat (I do, nothing wrong with it in my book), cover the bird up with the barrel. If you can see the bird, you're gonna shoot low. In my experience, this also applies to anything coming right at you or right away from you, as well. Don't put the bead on the target, or you'll go low.

yes I think I was shooting behind them every time. I jumped some at ten yards and emptied all three rounds and not even a feather nor did they adjust course just laughed and left a farewell shit souvenir

realunlucky

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:16 pm

realunlucky wrote:
assateague wrote:I will say this- if you do waterswat (I do, nothing wrong with it in my book), cover the bird up with the barrel. If you can see the bird, you're gonna shoot low. In my experience, this also applies to anything coming right at you or right away from you, as well. Don't put the bead on the target, or you'll go low.

yes I think I was shooting behind them every time. I jumped some at ten yards and emptied all three rounds and not even a feather nor did they adjust course just laughed and left a farewell shit souvenir

Your choke was too tight to hit it and if you had you probably would have blown it to hell. Depending on where they are when you jump em, its sometimes best to let them get some distance.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Slingshot » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:47 pm

Get on a few good diver hunts and your jump shooting , and your flutter duck shooting will improve.
Team total asalt.
Modded 35 gdsd 1746xpress. Haulin the mail
Take a kid huntin.
Slingshot

Location: Holder steady newt were headdin fer da tadder patch.

Previous

Return to Greenhorn Forum