Found ducks now what?

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Found ducks now what?

Postby realunlucky » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:19 pm

Spent last two mornings and evenings out scouting found a bunch of ducks on the state waterfowl area. How early should i plan to be set by before legal shooting time? Should I plan extra early on the opener to insure I get the good spot first.
realunlucky

Re: Found ducks now what?

Postby realunlucky » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:22 pm

If someone beats me what is acceptable distance from them to setup? I ask because it only walkin no boat ramps and youll be pretty commited dragging all the crap to the far side of the marsh.
realunlucky

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:39 pm

Be very early the day of the opener. The walk-ins near me have guys that get off work on Friday, then camp out for the opener on Saturday morning. Some places have guys that camp for days before...

You should be at least 200 yards from any other hunting party. Further is better...
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby banknote » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:53 pm

As far away as possible and don't shoot at ducks they are working/calling when they happen to swing by you. If they decide to commit to your spread, kill 'em, but if they're just swinging by on their way to the other guys spread, leave 'em be.
banknote

Postby realunlucky » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:58 pm

banknote wrote:As far away as possible and don't shoot at ducks they are working/calling when they happen to swing by you. If they decide to commit to your spread, kill 'em, but if they're just swinging by on their way to the other guys spread, leave 'em be.
you would call to the ducks when they circle back to try and get them to commet to your spread right?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:02 pm

Being as its the kids first time I'm thinking about setting up where we could leave if she got funned out in a few hours. Don't want to ruin anyone else's hunt.What is normal? In before sunrise out around 10, noon all day? Than back at three til dark?

realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:07 pm

Coldfront is moving in which I would think is going to put more hunters in marsh not less. Does weather have a huge affect on bird movement?

realunlucky

Postby banknote » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:10 pm

realunlucky wrote:
banknote wrote:As far away as possible and don't shoot at ducks they are working/calling when they happen to swing by you. If they decide to commit to your spread, kill 'em, but if they're just swinging by on their way to the other guys spread, leave 'em be.
you would call to the ducks when they circle back to try and get them to commet to your spread right?

Call all you want, just don't shoot at birds that some one else has working. Kind of like putting the moves on some chick your buddy's been buying drinks for all night. If you're far enough away, it shouldn't be an issue.
banknote

Postby capt1972 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:12 pm

banknote wrote:
realunlucky wrote:

Call all you want, just don't shoot at birds that some one else has working. Kind of like putting the moves on some chick your buddy's been buying drinks for all night. If you're far enough away, it shouldn't be an issue.

One of my best tactics
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:35 pm

realunlucky wrote:Coldfront is moving in which I would think is going to put more hunters in marsh not less. Does weather have a huge affect on bird movement?

Some say yes, some say no. Honestly, I've never seen any difference, but it's going to depend a lot on where you hunt. A lot of folks will tell you they want a cold, rainy, windy day for duck hunting, but after about 30 years, I've found that to be a load of crap. I don't have any "proof", but I've killed more ducks on blue bird days than nasty days. If it's raining in the morning, I do try and be set up about a half hour before the rain or snow is supposed to stop, because they will be up and moving around as soon as it quits.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:47 pm

assateague wrote:
realunlucky wrote:Coldfront is moving in which I would think is going to put more hunters in marsh not less. Does weather have a huge affect on bird movement?

Some say yes, some say no. Honestly, I've never seen any difference, but it's going to depend a lot on where you hunt. A lot of folks will tell you they want a cold, rainy, windy day for duck hunting, but after about 30 years, I've found that to be a load of crap. I don't have any "proof", but I've killed more ducks on blue bird days than nasty days. If it's raining in the morning, I do try and be set up about a half hour before the rain or snow is supposed to stop, because they will be up and moving around as soon as it quits.

Don't even have 30 years worth of living but, I concur.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby realunlucky » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:48 pm

capt1972 wrote:
banknote wrote:
realunlucky wrote:

One of my best tactics
it is cheapest way only costs a black eye!

realunlucky

Postby capt1972 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:53 pm

realunlucky wrote:
capt1972 wrote:
banknote wrote:
realunlucky wrote:

One of my best tactics
it is cheapest way only costs a black eye!

not true.

When he comes back from the bathroom, you have already left with the girl. when you see him the next day you tell him that you thought he drank to much and went home cause he took so long in the bathroom. the girl got sick of waiting and you went home.

Then you ask him, what he was doing in there that was taking so long anyway?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby realunlucky » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:59 pm

:grin:

realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Are some times of day better than others? Is it typical to leave for lunch?

realunlucky

Postby Tiler_J » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
assateague wrote:

And I don't. I have definitely shot more birds on windy or stormy days than on clear blue bird days. But I really think it just depends on where you hunt and how the ducks react in that area. Time in the field will be the only way to figure out what the ducks in your area do.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Tiler_J » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:37 pm

realunlucky wrote:Are some times of day better than others? Is it typical to leave for lunch?

Mornings are usually better than evenings. At least where I hunt. I usually hunt the morning, until bored, cold, or hungry. Go in for lunch and sometimes a nap. Then go out in the evening if I feel like it and see birds moving. I am in a little different situation than you though. I shoot at a club and don't have to worry about someone taking my spot while I am in for lunch.

That being said, being at the right place at the right time and luck plays a big part too. Years ago our club got hit by a massive spoony migration in the middle of the day. I could have shot hundreds of ducks standing next to my truck.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby realunlucky » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:42 pm

Saw like six hundred geese this morning but they all flew off pretty early. Didn't see them again tonight hope I'm there if a big gaggle sets down it was pretty impressive seeing them all in these small ponds

realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:43 pm

Guess I'll just have to spend more time out there and log it in a journal to see if there is a pattern

realunlucky

Postby assateague » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:54 pm

When you think you have the pattern figured out, they will do something different. But they will be nice enough to do something different AFTER you have planned that morning all week, and got all your shit set up. Sometimes you can even see them flying a couple hundred yards off in the distance, on their way to doing something different. Bastards.
assateague

Postby Tiler_J » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:14 pm

assateague wrote:When you think you have the pattern figured out, they will do something different. But they will be nice enough to do something different AFTER you have planned that morning all week, and got all your shit set up. Sometimes you can even see them flying a couple hundred yards off in the distance, on their way to doing something different. Bastards.

X2. You can go to the same place, set up the same way, with the same weather each day, and almost every day will be different. Ducks will drive you insane, welcome to the sickness. :lol:
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby banknote » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:48 pm

realunlucky wrote:Are some times of day better than others? Is it typical to leave for lunch?

There's no better way to bring ducks around than sticking a sandwich in your face.
banknote

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:17 am

Tiler_J wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
assateague wrote:

And I don't. I have definitely shot more birds on windy or stormy days than on clear blue bird days. But I really think it just depends on where you hunt and how the ducks react in that area. Time in the field will be the only way to figure out what the ducks in your area do.

Truth! every area is different I hunt the same area as tiler_j and here weather is king. Not to say you can't kill ducks on a blue bird day here but the best hunts are in weather. Obviously you're going to have to figure out what's best in your part of the world.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:18 am

banknote wrote:

There's no better way to bring ducks around than sticking a sandwich in your face.

Or take a piss. Works every time.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:37 am

banknote wrote:

Except for walking out into the dekes without a gun.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:18 am

I'm going out about 6 the night before. I hunt a very competitive piece of water and I have a spot picked out that I really want to be at. But with a young kid with you, that is probably not an option. Just get out as soon as possible, and be respectful of other hunters. If you are forced to setup close, have a talk with the group you are near and let them know you won't fuck up their hunting. Let them know you are new, and they might even let you join them. If they get pissed move on a little further away.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby realunlucky » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:16 am

Just got back from last day scouting before the opener. Almost traffic jam with all trucks out. Not sure if it's normal or partly because the federal refugee are closed. Basically it's five shallow lakes most birds been holding in the upper lake so I'm thinking of hunting the lower lake thinking the pressure may push them down to me, if not still a few around and be easier to get first hunt without disturbing anyone

realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:18 am

Daughter is very excited to go hunting. Told me she can't wait to spend time with just us no younger brother. Hoping she really has good time

realunlucky

Postby RickC » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:37 am

realunlucky wrote:Daughter is very excited to go hunting. Told me she can't wait to spend time with just us no younger brother. Hoping she really has good time

Did you get that package yet?

Blessings,
Rick
www.facebook.com/groups/customdecoys/
RickC

Postby realunlucky » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:04 pm

RickC wrote:
realunlucky wrote:Daughter is very excited to go hunting. Told me she can't wait to spend time with just us no younger brother. Hoping she really has good time

Did you get that package yet?

Blessings,
Rick
http://www.facebook.com/groups/customdecoys/

Not yet rick thought it would have shown up but you know postal serice hopefully today. Ordered the duck id book and it hasnt shown up yet either like they said it would, oh well let megan help texas rig the decoys so she feels part of the process.
realunlucky

Next

Return to Greenhorn Forum