Species specific decoys

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Species specific decoys

Postby rozzo842 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:29 pm

All the spots I've been scouting have been loaded with woodies. Last year I bought a dozen mallard decoys but I don't have any Woodie ones. Are they necessary? Would they help? Do woodies even decoy or am I just hoping for a passing shot?
rozzo842

Re: Species specific decoys

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:39 pm

Woodies like mojos. That's about the only thing I've had them decoy to. Otherwise they just go where they want.
With that said, I have 5 species in my puddler spread. Mallard, teal, wood duck, black duck, and pintail. I try too keep my spread 50% mallard and the rest made up of whatever else I feel like.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rozzo842 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:06 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Woodies like mojos. That's about the only thing I've had them decoy to. Otherwise they just go where they want.
With that said, I have 5 species in my puddler spread. Mallard, teal, wood duck, black duck, and pintail. I try too keep my spread 50% mallard and the rest made up of whatever else I feel like.

Woodie mojo or any?
rozzo842

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:09 pm

rozzo842 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Woodies like mojos. That's about the only thing I've had them decoy to. Otherwise they just go where they want.

Woodie mojo or any?

They buzz my mallard mojo just fine. Don't expect them to "decoy" though. Unless your where they want to me. Like within feet of where they want to be.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RickC » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:24 pm

During our early teal they would drop into my teal rig almost every morning in one area. I put out a mojo dove one morning at a completely different place and the woodies kept splashing in during the first hour of light.

Blessings,
Rick
www.facebook.com/groups/customdecoys/
RickC

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:33 pm

Never owned a wood duck decoy and have decoyed a lot of woodies over the years. Might be we'd have done better with species specific decoys, but have apparently done a whole lot better than folks who don't get them to decoy (or toll to a call). Sometimes hunted where they'd been using, but also enjoyed good luck on river backwaters and stream junctions while targeting mallards. Now that I'm hunting big marsh, we see a lot more pass than toll, but some still hook and pile in.
Rick

Postby triplecurl » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:58 pm

I've had the exact opposite results with a mojo and wood ducks. Seems like every time I try it the woodies don't like it. Different area different results I guess.
triplecurl

Postby RonE » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Go to the northeast in the fall when the colors change. Cut some branches with leafs of different colors and take them to where you hunt and stick them in the mud. Wood ducks will flock to them.

Note: this only works on opening weekend
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby rozzo842 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:09 am

Thanks for the tips. I might just pick up a couple of Woodie deeks to put in with my mallards.
Ron, do you think this would work the week after opening weekend? I won't be around for the weekend but will have access to allot of branches.
rozzo842

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:22 am

rozzo842 wrote:Thanks for the tips. I might just pick up a couple of Woodie deeks to put in with my mallards.
Ron, do you think this would work the week after opening weekend? I won't be around for the weekend but will have access to allot of branches.

:lol::lol:
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:42 pm

The thing about wood ducks in a swamp is they like to be up in the cattails/reeds. In my experience, if you put your Woodie deeks up in there where you want the birds to go, and your other decoys out in the water for attention, they go right to them. Don't have them there, and the Woodies kinda go where ever.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby aunt betty » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:11 pm

I bought some woody decoys years ago. Four-pack.
Noticed that wood ducks will decoy just prior to LST. Sometimes later. ;)
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to Greenhorn Forum