Resting a spot

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Resting a spot

Postby realunlucky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Guys just wondering how often I can hunt the same spot without burning it out? Does it make a difference if it's a roosting area or feeding area? I'd imagine it does but not sure. If I jump shoot these little ponds does it make difference since they only hold two or three birds at a time?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
realunlucky

Re: Resting a spot

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:42 pm

If you shoot at birds, they will most likely not come back to that same spot for a while. But when birds start migrating, you get new birds all the time that don't know where the safe spots are. So you could hunt the same spot every day if new birds keep showing up. Otherwise, it depends on how many birds are using the area, and how many you shoot at. Could be one shoot, could be 10 before the local birds are all spooked off.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby realunlucky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:49 pm

So even if i rest a spot it really wouldn't matter if the birds aren't migrating.

realunlucky

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:52 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:If you shoot at birds, they will most likely not come back to that same spot for a while. But when birds start migrating, you get new birds all the time that don't know where the safe spots are. So you could hunt the same spot every day if new birds keep showing up. Otherwise, it depends on how many birds are using the area, and how many you shoot at. Could be one shoot, could be 10 before the local birds are all spooked off.

I only shoot my private swamps once a season. In my younger days I have limited out every day of the first split on the same swamp in the same spot. Today I like to hit it once and let them have it for the rest of their time up here without getting shot at.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:52 pm

realunlucky wrote:So even if i rest a spot it really wouldn't matter if the birds aren't migrating.

More than likely yes.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby realunlucky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Damn I think I screwed myself on day three of the season. If it's a feeding area though they might just start feeding elsewhere but still roost in same spot?

realunlucky

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:20 pm

realunlucky wrote:Damn I think I screwed myself on day three of the season. If it's a feeding area though they might just start feeding elsewhere but still roost in same spot?

As long as you don't shoot them on the roost, the ducks should continue to feed in the same area. Bust the roost as there is a good chance they will leave town.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Slingshot » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:35 pm

I've allways thought of it like this, if it's a spot that you know your the only one hunting it , I would just hunt it every other week. and just check on it to see if the birds are still using it in between. If it public land smoke'um till there gona because someone will else will find them anyways.
Team total asalt.
Modded 35 gdsd 1746xpress. Haulin the mail
Take a kid huntin.
Slingshot

Location: Holder steady newt were headdin fer da tadder patch.

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:41 pm

Slingshot wrote:I've allways thought of it like this, if it's a spot that you know your the only one hunting it , I would just hunt it every other week. and just check on it to see if the birds are still using it in between. If it public land smoke'um till there gona because someone will else will find them anyways.

Try it, it is the only way that you will know. Your first few years will be all about learning what to do and what not to do. Every area is different. We can give you all sorts of advice on what works for us, take the advice and then make your own decision. It's all about what works for you and the birds you hunt. This will be my 33rd duck season this year, it's all still an educated guess for me. I am still figuring out new tricks and setups and hoping the ducks respond how I think they should every hunt. Try what you think might work. It's all a learning experience and have fun with it. Things you try one day may not work but the next time will be the best hunt you have ever had.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby realunlucky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:43 pm

Thought hard about it and the kid is just going to have to be late tomorrow. Leaving out of town for about 10 days and figure it might be froze, shot out while I'm gone, or

realunlucky

Postby realunlucky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:44 pm

The migrating ducks will be moving through by then.

realunlucky

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:44 pm

Who hacked Tiler's account?

Great advice sir :thumbsup:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Who hacked Tiler's account?

Hardy Har Har!

Thank you. I do what I can.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:55 pm

Tiler_J wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:Who hacked Tiler's account?

Hardy Har Har!

Thank you. I do what I can.

It was Jehler!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:03 pm

realunlucky wrote:Thought hard about it and the kid is just going to have to be late tomorrow. Leaving out of town for about 10 days and figure it might be froze, shot out while I'm gone, or

Good luck!! Keep your head down and shoot straight.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Slingshot » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:07 pm

Tiler_J wrote:
Slingshot wrote:I've allways thought of it like this, if it's a spot that you know your the only one hunting it , I would just hunt it every other week. and just check on it to see if the birds are still using it in between. If it public land smoke'um till there gona because someone will else will find them anyways.

Try it, it is the only way that you will know. Your first few years will be all about learning what to do and what not to do. Every area is different. We can give you all sorts of advice on what works for us, take the advice and then make your own decision. It's all about what works for you and the birds you hunt. This will be my 33rd duck season this year, it's all still an educated guess for me. I am still figuring out new tricks and setups and hoping the ducks respond how I think they should every hunt. Try what you think might work. It's all a learning experience and have fun with it. Things you try one day may not work but the next time will be the best hunt you have ever had.

What? I didn't start the post, I was givivng him some advice.LoL Everything you said was very true but , where you helping me. :lol:
Team total asalt.
Take a kid huntin.
Slingshot

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:10 pm

I thought your idea made sense, then added onto it. Hope it helps you. :lol:
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Slingshot » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:13 pm

Tiler_J wrote:I thought your idea made sense, then added onto it. Hope it helps you. :lol:

Ok then , like you said. There's allway something to learn , thats what I love about this madness.
Team total asalt.
Take a kid huntin.
Slingshot

Postby RonE » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:19 pm

If the ponds you are jump shooting are on a golf course, don't worry about it, the birds don't know where else to go but, once the resident mallards are all shot, you have to wait till next year. If you have four or five golf courses nearby, you can probably shoot all season long and set up for geese on Mondays if the course is closed.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Return to Greenhorn Forum