New here

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

New here

Postby MTbowhunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:54 am

New waterfowler, I am a big bowhunter and with moving to Montana will have a good opportunity to hunt ducks and geese with the earlier bow hunting seasons. Not really sure how to get started, I don't have calls or decoys so any advice would be appreciated!
MTbowhunter

Re: New here

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:03 am

Start small. There is no need to jump in and buy the latest and greatest to assemble a super spread. I use stormfront decoys and they work just fine. As for calls you don't need a high dollar acrylic if you don't want to spend that kind of money a poly call works fine. I recommend a Quackhead J Frame. If you do want acrylic watch the classifieds on the bigger forums. You can get quality used calls for $50 less than new.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby realunlucky » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:04 am

Welcome new myself so no advice but if you read through my thread I basically asked same questions and got some excellent advice. Where you live? Couple regulars live around Helena I think

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
realunlucky

Postby RickC » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Welcome aboard. DH hit some good points. The only thing I'd add is duck and goose hunting is like deer hunting in that scout, find where they want to be and setup there. That and concealment.

Blessings,
Rick
RickC

Postby capt1972 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:21 pm

:welcome:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Slingshot » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:15 pm

:welcome: there is alot of good folks on here that will help you out , first thing you should do is get the book ( Ducks at a distance) and learn all you can about how to I.D ducks just so you don't get into trouble.There is different limits on Certain species learn what they are , they change from season to season. Like DH said you don't need much to get started. Good luck.
Team total asalt.
Modded 35 gdsd 1746xpress. Haulin the mail
Take a kid huntin.
Slingshot

Location: Holder steady newt were headdin fer da tadder patch.

Return to Greenhorn Forum