Carry or wear your waders

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Carry or wear your waders

Postby rozzo842 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:55 pm

On long walk in hunts (1.5-2 miles) do you carry in your waders or just wear them. I have a couple spots that I am walking at least an hour to get to.The walk is dry until I get to where I'm going. I'm usually pulling a kayak so I can just toss them in it.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
rozzo842

Re: Carry or wear your waders

Postby Juice Box » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:02 pm

rozzo842 wrote:On long walk in hunts (1.5-2 miles) do you carry in your waders or just wear them. I have a couple spots that I am walking at least an hour to get to.The walk is dry until I get to where I'm going. I'm usually pulling a kayak so I can just toss them in it.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]

In your situation I'd toss them in the kayak and just wear some rubber boots or muck boots till you get to the point where you need the waders
"Olly cop hater? No

Olly American? Yes"
Juice Box

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:10 pm

Juice Box wrote:
rozzo842 wrote:On long walk in hunts (1.5-2 miles) do you carry in your waders or just wear them. I have a couple spots that I am walking at least an hour to get to.The walk is dry until I get to where I'm going. I'm usually pulling a kayak so I can just toss them in it.

In your situation I'd toss them in the kayak and just wear some rubber boots or muck boots till you get to the point where you need the waders

x2. No need to work up a sweat before sitting for a few hours...
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby RonE » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:51 pm

Sounds like you need an airboat. I hate to even walk after dead ducks.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby rozzo842 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:11 pm

Thanks guys. I was leaning toward not wearing them but wanted a few opinions.
rozzo842

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:24 pm

Juice Box wrote:

In your situation I'd find somewhere else to hunt. Fuck walking.

FIFY
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby RonE » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:53 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
Juice Box wrote:

FIFY

I'm with Juice..........Oh, and fuck kayaking too!
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Juice Box » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:03 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
Juice Box wrote:

In your situation I'd find somewhere else to hunt. **** walking.

FIFY

What's FIFY?
"Olly cop hater? No

Olly American? Yes"
Juice Box

Postby Goldfish » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:04 pm

I've done the walk in waders thing. Throw them in the kayak and wear boots till you need them

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:04 pm

Fixed It For You

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby IndianaMallard64 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:17 am

dont wear them unless u want a sweaty ass and lower back
IndianaMallard64

Postby rozzo842 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:11 am

RonE wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:
Juice Box wrote:

FIFY

I'm with Juice..........Oh, and fuck kayaking too!

The kayak is just a way to retrieve, I won't be hunting from it. This spot looked promising when i scouted it. If I'm right this spot will be worth the walk.
rozzo842

Postby Olly » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:07 am

I've hiked miles in 5mm waders before. Take it slow and you won't work up a sweat for when you sit down.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:40 am

What Olly said. It's all about tempo. So you walk, carrying all your other shit and your waders. You'll be sweating probably as much, if not more, from trying to tote all that shit than you would from wearing the waders. Also, when you get there, you will probably have walked through some bushes and tall grass, and your pants will be wet. Maybe you got to a big muddy spot (duck hunting generally happens in wet, muddy places) and had to fuck around trying not to sink in up to your knee. Maybe you did sink in up to your knee. Then you put them in your waders, sit down, and your legs and ass are wet and muddy, and you're uncomfortable.

Just wear the waders and take your time like Olly said.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:43 am

5 miles, it doesn't matter what you're wearing, working up a sweat is gonna happen.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby rozzo842 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:09 pm

Well I hiked in with waders in the kayak and was soaked when I got there. Pulling this thing is not nearly as easy as I imagined it would be. So I got one woodie this morning, could have easily gotten a limit if my shooting didn't suck. Had some mallards land on the far side and had woodies buzzing the decoys all morning. My performance this morning was embarrassing.
uploadfromtaptalk1381946962961.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
rozzo842

Postby assateague » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:17 pm

Yeah, but your plan came together like you thought it would. Over time, you will see that this, in and of itself, is a major fucking victory when it comes to ducks.
assateague

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Olly wrote:I've hiked miles in 5mm waders before. Take it slow and you won't work up a sweat for when you sit down.

No way am I walking in 5mm neoprene waders. I would die of heat stroke. I will walk in my boots to the edge of the marsh and then put my waders on.
goodkarmarising

Postby banknote » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:50 pm

Rigs up some wheels for your kayak. Some sort of game cart might work, so long as you're on reasonably smooth trail. Then just chuck all your gear in the boat and go.

Nice work on the woodie. It's more fun missing than not shooting at all.
banknote

Postby rozzo842 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:08 pm

banknote wrote:Rigs up some wheels for your kayak. Some sort of game cart might work, so long as you're on reasonably smooth trail. Then just chuck all your gear in the boat and go.

that's exactly what I did. This is what I ce up with.
uploadfromtaptalk1381957577224.jpg

I had a blast today. Watching those woodies act like little fighter jets darting all around was great to watch.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
rozzo842

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:30 pm

rozzo842 wrote:
banknote wrote:Rigs up some wheels for your kayak. Some sort of game cart might work, so long as you're on reasonably smooth trail. Then just chuck all your gear in the boat and go.

I had a blast today. Watching those woodies act like little fighter jets darting all around was great to watch.

Wheels at the fulcrum is 100x easier.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:17 pm

rozzo842 wrote:Well I hiked in with waders in the kayak and was soaked when I got there. Pulling this thing is not nearly as easy as I imagined it would be. So I got one woodie this morning, could have easily gotten a limit if my shooting didn't suck. Had some mallards land on the far side and had woodies buzzing the decoys all morning. My performance this morning was embarrassing.

Performance issues happen sometimes, don't be embarrassed. Some find it helpful just to practice, alone. Then you'll be shooting when expected.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby banknote » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:21 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
rozzo842 wrote:

Wheels at the fulcrum is 100x easier.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

X2.
banknote

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:00 am

3legged_lab wrote:
rozzo842 wrote:Well I hiked in with waders in the kayak and was soaked when I got there. Pulling this thing is not nearly as easy as I imagined it would be. So I got one woodie this morning, could have easily gotten a limit if my shooting didn't suck. Had some mallards land on the far side and had woodies buzzing the decoys all morning. My performance this morning was embarrassing.

Performance issues happen sometimes, don't be embarrassed. Some find it helpful just to practice, alone. Then you'll be shooting when expected.

He's probably shooting to soon, take your time and don't blow your wad right away! Don't feel bad it's common for your first time. Like 3leg said practice alone, it takes the edge off.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby rozzo842 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:52 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

He's probably shooting to soon, take your time and don't blow your wad right away! Don't feel bad it's common for your first time. Like 3leg said practice alone, it takes the edge off.

I've been practicing alone since I was 12, doesn't seem to help. Perhaps a performance enhancing choke would help? I've heard of guys getting good results with hand loads but that just seems too messy for me.
rozzo842

Postby AKPirate » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:09 am

rozzo842 wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

I've been practicing alone since I was 12, doesn't seem to help. Perhaps a performance enhancing choke would help? I've heard of guys getting good results with hand loads but that just seems too messy for me.

Think Deadeye Dan is the authority on this...
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby banknote » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:49 am

rozzo842 wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Have you ever looked into eye dominance issues? I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I couldn't hit shit with a shotgun until I started closing my left eye. Not "proper" but it works for me.
banknote

Postby Slingshot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:43 pm

Looks to me like your hunt was a good one don't all way judge a limit of ducks as a good hunt, you did the right way, you found a spot and killed a great bird to eat. Congrat to you, the shooting will come in time. Enjoy every minute you get to hunt.
Team total asalt.
Modded 35 gdsd 1746xpress. Haulin the mail
Take a kid huntin.
Slingshot

Location: Holder steady newt were headdin fer da tadder patch.

Postby Slingshot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:43 pm

Looks to me like your hunt was a good one don't all way judge a limit of ducks as a good hunt, you did the right way, you found a spot and killed a great bird to eat. Congrat to you, the shooting will come in time. Enjoy every minute you get to hunt.
Team total asalt.
Take a kid huntin.
Slingshot

Postby Slingshot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:45 pm

Sorry for the double post.
Team total asalt.
Take a kid huntin.
Slingshot

Next

Return to Greenhorn Forum