Carry or wear your waders

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Re: Carry or wear your waders

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:He's probably shooting to soon, take your time and don't blow your wad right away! Don't feel bad it's common for your first time. Like 3leg said practice alone, it takes the edge off.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river

rozzo842 wrote:I've been practicing alone since I was 12, doesn't seem to help. Perhaps a performance enhancing choke would help? I've heard of guys getting good results with hand loads but that just seems too messy for me.

Ha! At least 2 of ya got where I was going with that.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:45 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:He's probably shooting to soon, take your time and don't blow your wad right away! Don't feel bad it's common for your first time. Like 3leg said practice alone, it takes the edge off.

rozzo842 wrote:I've been practicing alone since I was 12, doesn't seem to help. Perhaps a performance enhancing choke would help? I've heard of guys getting good results with hand loads but that just seems too messy for me.

Ha! At least 2 of ya got where I was going with that.

It was funny as hell, had to come in with the assist! That's basketball talk in case you most it red!

AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:54 pm

Sorry rozzo, I just noticed this was in the greenhorn.

On a serious note, I don't care how much I practice I still have days where it seems like I can't hit my ass with both hands.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Padre » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:55 pm

rozzo842 wrote:
banknote wrote:Rigs up some wheels for your kayak. Some sort of game cart might work, so long as you're on reasonably smooth trail. Then just chuck all your gear in the boat and go.

Nice work on the woodie. It's more fun missing than not shooting at all.

that's exactly what I did. This is what I ce up with.
uploadfromtaptalk1381957577224.jpg

I had a blast today. Watching those woodies act like little fighter jets darting all around was great to watch.

Did that yak come from Native like that, or did you paint it?
Padre

Postby Mohawkwoodman » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:43 pm

Bag em up! A few hundred yards can catch a few thorns and youll find out real quick.
Mohawkwoodman

Postby firstflight » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:02 pm

rozzo842 wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
rozzo842 wrote:Well I hiked in with waders in the kayak and was soaked when I got there. Pulling this thing is not nearly as easy as I imagined it would be. So I got one woodie this morning, could have easily gotten a limit if my shooting didn't suck. Had some mallards land on the far side and had woodies buzzing the decoys all morning. My performance this morning was embarrassing.
uploadfromtaptalk1381946962961.jpg

Performance issues happen sometimes, don't be embarrassed. Some find it helpful just to practice, alone. Then you'll be shooting when expected.

He's probably shooting to soon, take your time and don't blow your wad right away! Don't feel bad it's common for your first time. Like 3leg said practice alone, it takes the edge off.

I've been practicing alone since I was 12, doesn't seem to help. Perhaps a performance enhancing choke would help? I've heard of guys getting good results with hand loads but that just seems too messy for me.

A choke is not going to make you a better shot . If it's 20 dollars or 150 dollars . A top dollar shell is not going to make you a better shot .a 4,000 dollar gun is not going to make you a better shot ..

I have been doing this waterfowl thing for 37 years . I shoot a 887 pump , with a 40 dollar choke from Carlson , and Winchester xpert hi-velocity .and kill ducks and geese with the best of them .
firstflight

Postby firstflight » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:06 pm

Okay
so what gun are you using
what shells
what choke .
At what range are you shooting at birds?
firstflight

Postby Rick » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Believe you've missed the gist of that conversation by a mile or two.
Rick

Postby firstflight » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:11 pm

rozzo842 wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
rozzo842 wrote:Well I hiked in with waders in the kayak and was soaked when I got there. Pulling this thing is not nearly as easy as I imagined it would be. So I got one woodie this morning, could have easily gotten a limit if my shooting didn't suck. Had some mallards land on the far side and had woodies buzzing the decoys all morning. My performance this morning was embarrassing.
uploadfromtaptalk1381946962961.jpg

Performance issues happen sometimes, don't be embarrassed. Some find it helpful just to practice, alone. Then you'll be shooting when expected.

He's probably shooting to soon, take your time and don't blow your wad right away! Don't feel bad it's common for your first time. Like 3leg said practice alone, it takes the edge off.

I've been practicing alone since I was 12, doesn't seem to help. Perhaps a performance enhancing choke would help? I've heard of guys getting good results with hand loads but that just seems too messy for me.

Didn't catch the reference
firstflight

Previous

Return to Greenhorn Forum