Letting a spot rest

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Letting a spot rest

Postby rozzo842 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:29 pm

So on Sat I hit a great spot pretty hard, took allot of shots at allot of ducks. I don't want to ruin this spot so I'm wondering how long should I let this spot sit?
Some background info. I don't believe this spot has ever been hunted. I could just be naive but it is only about 2 years old and I can't find any signs of anyone using it. The birds seem very comfortable there and appear to feel very safe. Even after we shot the shit out of it there were still birds just swimming around and calling to each other. It was funny to have the three of us unload our guns and as soon as it was quiet hearing the woodie "taweet" 40 yards away.
I'd rather have one great hunt there a year than 4 hunts there this year and have it shot for future years.
rozzo842

Re: Letting a spot rest

Postby capt1972 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:50 pm

hunt it!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RonE » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:05 pm

Let it rest a few days then call me, I'll go and check it out for you.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Redbeard » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:09 pm

I don't think you'll have to worry so much bout blowing it out for next year. I have a decent little farm, I hunted today in fact, I that I'll hunt 2, maybe 3 times a month

#tazincali
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:03 pm

It will eventually get blown out this season, but by next year they should get used to it again. Might help to add a few good wood duck boxes to help replenish the dead ducks in the spring too.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby BrewGUN » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:23 am

It really depends on if your getting fresh flight birds coming into it. If theyre new to the area, they wont think anything less of it. But if its nice weather for a while and ducks are staying, they might get a little wiser. I dont see a problem with once a weekend.
BrewGUN

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:28 am

Three of you hunted it, so there's a good chance one of your buddies will go back with his buddies, and one of his buddies will go back with his buddies, who'll go back with their buddies...

Might oughta start scouting for a new spot.
Rick

Postby rozzo842 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:34 am

Thanks guys, it doesn't seem to hold anything but woodies and they seemed to leave early last year so maybe I'll hunt it once more before the split and keep my eye on it to see if it will pull in any mallards later on.
rozzo842

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:51 am

Rick wrote:Three of you hunted it, so there's a good chance one of your buddies will go back with his buddies, and one of his buddies will go back with his buddies, who'll go back with their buddies...

:lol:
Sounds about right!

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby rozzo842 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:
Rick wrote:Three of you hunted it, so there's a good chance one of your buddies will go back with his buddies, and one of his buddies will go back with his buddies, who'll go back with their buddies...

Sounds about right!

I really hope you guys are wrong. One guy is my father who I talked into getting his license again after about 20+ years of not hunting. He's in it to get some father son time and won't hunt without me. The other guy I met late in the season last year when he invited me to hunt with him. I kept in touch with him through the off season and has really taught me allot since then. He is the one who said we should rest it for awhile. I guess he's the wild card.
rozzo842

Postby BrewGUN » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:31 am

rozzo842 wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:

Sounds about right!

I really hope you guys are wrong. One guy is my father who I talked into getting his license again after about 20+ years of not hunting. He's in it to get some father son time and won't hunt without me. The other guy I met late in the season last year when he invited me to hunt with him. I kept in touch with him through the off season and has really taught me allot since then. He is the one who said we should rest it for awhile. I guess he's the wild card.

Of course he said that, now he can have it for himself lol
BrewGUN

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:29 am

And his buddies.
Rick

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:32 am

Rick wrote:And his buddies.

And their buddies.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rozzo842 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:28 am

If this spot is what it costs me for all the info, tips and little tricks he has given me than I guess that's the price I'll have to pay. I'll find other spots, all I did last summer was search for spots, I'll do it again this summer too.
rozzo842

Postby RonE » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:46 am

From God's mouth to your ears.....Count on it.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:01 pm

rozzo842 wrote:If this spot is what it costs me for all the info, tips and little tricks he has given me than I guess that's the price I'll have to pay. I'll find other spots, all I did last summer was search for spots, I'll do it again this summer too.

If he has helped you this much, hopefully he is a decent enough of a person to not hunt it without you.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:47 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
rozzo842 wrote:If this spot is what it costs me for all the info, tips and little tricks he has given me than I guess that's the price I'll have to pay. I'll find other spots, all I did last summer was search for spots, I'll do it again this summer too.

If he has helped you this much, hopefully he is a decent enough of a person to not hunt it without you.

This^^^

AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Goldfish » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:53 pm

You have a very good attitude towards life

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby rozzo842 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

This^^^

He's talked to me about having his spots ruined by the exact scenario we're talking about. He has never said don't bring anyone here but it was definitely implied. I wouldn't even go to his spots without him inviting me there and I hope he would do the same for me.
Again this was never outright said to me but its a courtesy I hope we both extend.

I could be completely wrong though and that fucker could be there right now.
rozzo842

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:21 am

Goldfish wrote:

You have a very good attitude towards life

sent from a phancy fone

Very true
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Return to Greenhorn Forum